confused??????????

The original 4WD
2keen
Here and there

confused??????????

Unread post by 2keen » January 4th, 2009, 10:38 am

i need some addvice on what car to buy i'm thinkin a disco or defender but don't no if the defender would be no good as a tourer and weekend play toy for a young family as well and i'm abit over 6ft so would it be abit uncomfy? any insite would be good.:confused:

toy yoda

Unread post by toy yoda » January 4th, 2009, 11:04 am

go the defender not the disco...throw in some aftermarket seats and deal with the suspension....at least its gunna be semi reliable
________________________www.loveday4x4adventures.com________________________
thanks to... APM Radiators.. DRW automatics..Boss Racing Diffs..Sprint Auto Parts.. Bob Jane Marion..Noarlunga refrigeration..J&S Suspension (et4wd)..Heinrich Performance Dyno..

cracka23
Avid Poster

Unread post by cracka23 » January 4th, 2009, 11:07 am

I guess it depends what you're really after mate.
I think (personally) that the fenders are a little too cramped in the drivers seat especially, altho plenty of guys do have them and love them.
Have you driven both to see which you like best?
If its for touring with your family, i guess you need to weigh up how much room etc you're gonna need, as the discos are a little smaller inside, but do have more of the creature comforts....
I hope this helps a little. I would drive both and go from there.
[align=left][b]09 SR Dual Cab with extra topping...:waycool:[/b][/align]

2keen
Here and there

Unread post by 2keen » January 4th, 2009, 1:06 pm

no i havn't drivin any have been lookin but none in my area all bout an hour away but going to drive some end of this week just wanted some insite thats all.

landylover
Been here a while

Unread post by landylover » January 5th, 2009, 3:39 pm

go with a 'fender, with a tdi diesel, not fast, but unstoppable, and hellishly reliable

and if u wanted comfort, u'd buy a soties truck, like a 'yota or pootrol

so buy a 'fender, get some new seats, and suck it up
[align=center][b][u][font=Arial Black][size=100][color=black]It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b][/align]

Mikey0211
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mikey0211 » January 5th, 2009, 7:59 pm

Mate, I don't find the seats uncomfy at all.. I'm about 180cm... I love em, Heaps of room inside and excelent driving position..

Is this your first 4x4???...

Touring with a family, the deefer wins hands down IMO.. but the downside it dosent have the creature comforts the disco does...

2keen
Here and there

Unread post by 2keen » January 6th, 2009, 9:05 am

hay thanks all for your input. no will me second 4x4 had a 80series but hav wanted an LR 4ages, goin to drive some on thursday so fingers crossed. thanks all

landylover
Been here a while

Unread post by landylover » January 7th, 2009, 7:59 am

lol, good times mate! i'm a landy convert as well! used 2 run about in a 'roza!
but now i'm making my ultimate landy! lol, build up thread will follow, as soon as i got all the parts in need!
[align=center][b][u][font=Arial Black][size=100][color=black]It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b][/align]

blue juice
Here and there

Unread post by blue juice » February 1st, 2009, 1:38 pm

2keen wrote:i need some addvice on what car to buy i'm thinkin a disco or defender but don't no if the defender would be no good as a tourer and weekend play toy for a young family as well and i'm abit over 6ft so would it be abit uncomfy? any insite would be good.:confused:

Hi 2keen.
you solve the seat problem by buying seat runner supports from the UK.
or you can place 40mm square tubing under the seat runners like i have ( its the same as the kit but you have to drill the holes ) and it lifts the runners above the bulk head running behind the seats.
I had problems and im 6'1" now it is a lot better driving position
I have the 130 defender and find it like a tractor off road and not to shabby on road
cheers

Wortho
Here and there

Unread post by Wortho » February 5th, 2009, 6:16 pm

I really don't get why people automaticly think that the ride is harsh in a Defender, i have a Defender and a Disco and honestly in terms of ride comfort there is no difference, both have coils front and rear, both D1 and Defender have an A frame rear in fact pretty much the same suspension as each other, the Defender has a longer wheelbase so is actually a bit more stable. The Disco is more comfortable round town than the Defender but the Defender is more comfortable offroad. Get the one you feel most comfy in.

BMKal
Part of the furniture

Unread post by BMKal » February 6th, 2009, 11:59 am

Wortho wrote:I really don't get why people automaticly think that the ride is harsh in a Defender.

Most likely because they've never been in one.

Same as all those comments about reliability - usually made by people who know absolutely jack sh** about what they're talking about, and have never owned one themselves.

Disco_S.two
Been here a while

Unread post by Disco_S.two » February 11th, 2009, 4:41 pm

Discos are getting cheap. I have a disco for what sounds like the reasons you list. (Young family, bit of touring, bit of w'end playing, bit of towing) I'm 190cm and it suits me and my family perfectly.

It's an auto Td5 and it's cheap to run, stunning to drive, reliable, comfortable, and capable.

Having said that, when a Defender drives past I feel that one of them would be good in the driveway.

Look for low kms with a perfect service history.

W

V8 Landy
Been here a while

Unread post by V8 Landy » February 11th, 2009, 6:33 pm

Depends on your needs as has been said the fender has more room but the disco has better creature comfort. I love my disco but i would also love a fender. I like the shorter wheelbase of the disco. :)

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » February 12th, 2009, 3:06 pm

Most likely because they've never been in one.

Same as all those comments about reliability - usually made by people who know absolutely jack sh** about what they're talking about, and have never owned one themselves.

i fall into the boat of someone who has never been in one, but wouldn't the ride quality in a defender be slightly harsher due to it being designed to carry heavier loads than a disco??
LN106 Hilux Project

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82487

gone bush
Here and there

Unread post by gone bush » February 16th, 2009, 11:26 pm

I own a TD5 D2 and have a young family and it is a brilliant touring vehicle as it is great on road and great off road. I am very broad in the shoulders and simply do not fit in a defender so I cant even consider getting one. I have a number of friends with defenders and they say that they are great off road but compared to the disco very poor on road (what percentage do you spend on each surface) - simple equasion for my family. Good luck I am sure you will love which ever you choose. cheers JP

Return to “General Land Rover”