ex-military Land Rover 110 worth buying for 4wding?

The original 4WD
Tcummings
I'm new, be nice!

ex-military Land Rover 110 worth buying for 4wding?

Unread post by Tcummings » December 9th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Hey everyone, im fairly new to the 4wd scene and learning bits and pieces from my old man. Though there is an Auction happening within the next week or so for all ex-military vehicles and many of those are the 3.9 diesel Land Rover 110 in good nick.

What my real question is, does anyone know if this type of vehicle is worth buying and to go 4wding in ?? any complications with the 110 or a solid unit? Because i want to sell my 3.0 petrol/lpg 1991 gq patrol to have more power for 4wding.

Any input would be muchly appreciated cheers.

Muckinhell
Need to get out more

Re: ex-military Land Rover 110 worth buying for 4wding?

Unread post by Muckinhell » December 9th, 2013, 9:41 pm

it will P*^s all over the patrol for off road ability but comfort will suffer. no a/c etc.

MarkIIa
Here and there

Re: ex-military Land Rover 110 worth buying for 4wding?

Unread post by MarkIIa » December 18th, 2013, 10:16 am

The Isuzu engine in the 110 4x4s is naturally aspirated, and as such is no power house. But torque is what it has, and all where it is most useful for off-road. They are slow up hills...but so are most 20+ year old diesel 4x4s!
A turbo will make a significant difference, though at a fair expense if you can't do the work yourself.

As Muckinhell intimated, you may find that it is a huge backward step in 'liveability' from your GQ, seeing as (on most variants) the 110s have no power steering, air con, stereo, sound proofing etc, the soft tops aren't able to be secured so all your gear has to be unpacked at the end of the trip or it may go walk about when at the shops etc.
But as soon as you lock the centre diff and engage low range, all that will be forgotten as the torque, fantastic low gearing and wheel travel lets you crawl over obstacles that others have to rush with foot flat to floor.

Check out www.buymilitaryvehicles.com for some helpful buyers guides and other info too.

Return to “General Land Rover”