88 Range Rover Classic Worth Buying???

The original 4WD
slurf
Here and there

88 Range Rover Classic Worth Buying???

Unread post by slurf » November 12th, 2011, 4:25 pm

Hi

never thought I would be tempted by the dark side (LOL) but maybe this a rare opportunity I shouldn't miss.
I recently ran into my old mate and was blown away to see he's still driving his RR Classic he leased from new back 1988. When he got the car way back in 88 I remember being blown that anyone would lease/buy a $50000 car. My mate has had chronic health issues in the last year so now he is thinking of selling it.

So given that its a "one owner" car Im wondering its worth buying. Its been a tar baby all its life and mechanically has been serviced and/or fixed when it needed doing. The engine was rebuilt at 400000ks (18 months ago) but he has only done 10000 ks since then. Also the transfer case packed it in a couple of years ago and surprisingly Land Drover Australia replaced it at greatly reduced cost as a partial warranty. Body looks fine but interior is very worn but Im not fussed about that. The only other thing I know about it is its a 3.5 V8 with 4speed Auto box.

So whats it worth??? My mate would like to get the $5500 he spent on the engine rebuild back but it he also said he would include road worthy and 6 months Rego.

Worth getting???

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: 88 Range Rover Classic Worth Buying???

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 12th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Ahhh, I dunno slurf, I reckon you'd be safer giving it a miss.

But would you mind sending me his contact details, I think I might need to have a chat to him about it.... ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Laidley 62 Series
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Laidley 62 Series » November 12th, 2011, 4:57 pm

Ahh Peter that is Sneeky Sneeky.

Happy Trails.

David.
1985 F J 62, barn doors, poverty pack.

My Karma ran over my Dogma.

God created the 60 Series, man made the rest.

60 Series trip to Cape York 2013.

slurf
Here and there

Unread post by slurf » November 12th, 2011, 6:13 pm

Peter @ Aawen4x4 wrote:Ahhh, I dunno slurf, I reckon you'd be safer giving it a miss.

But would you mind sending me his contact details, I think I might need to have a chat to him about it.... ;)
So what do you really think mate???!!! :irked:

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 12th, 2011, 6:30 pm

You'd hafta check it out Slurf, but there are 88 Classics out there selling for as little as $1200 (pretty ratty & un-loved tho!) and as much as $38,000 (bewdiful vehicle!!) And I've seen a few more that are probly worth a helluva lot more but are simply not now or ever going to be for sale!! And one I know of in a shed near here that is going to be fantastic once it's restoration is finished. ;)

One of these vehicles in good mechanical/physical condition without any issues or major defects in the body/interior/paintwork etc (even if it is worn) could well be worth $5 or more K, looking good all round you could easily double that. And if you know the vehicle's history and want something you can build into a reliable tourer or even off road weapon, the interior & paintwork isn't such a great hassle, besides, you can get almost all the bits to bring it back to top spec relatively cheaply & most of the work is fairly straight forwards too.

Do your homework tho, make sure you have a good look at all the potentially costly mechanical bits or even get someone to check it out for you, and of course consider if you want to take on a project like this and the lifestyle that it entails. If you want cheap transport, it'll probly do that well for quite a while but it might be a touch expensive just for something like that; while if you want something you can build into a great off roader or restore to a fantastic example of a Rangie, then it's probly a good buy.

I still think you should send me his contact details tho... ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

slurf
Here and there

Unread post by slurf » November 13th, 2011, 9:08 am

Thanks for the heads up.

The Rangie would be used for work around town monday to friday. i dont do a lot of kliks and i tow a fairly light trailer most days. About once a month I go for a moderate off road trip with a club and maybe trice a year I will go on a longer road trip with a few off road diversions. . Im not a great mechanic but i have mostly been able to repair the multitude of hassles my Hilux Surf puts me through. After years of driving rough work trucks I do like a bit of comfort.

Question about reliability. they say the landy diffs are a weak point. Are we talking weak as a IFS Hilux front diff and CVs are weak or something else again? Re maintenance, does a old Rangie need special stuff done besides regular grease up and changing fluids/filters?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 13th, 2011, 10:56 pm

Are the Landy diffs a weak point? Well, they are one of the weakest points on what is basically a very sound & robust vehicle - but I'd suggest that they are nowhere near as 'weak' as a Hilux IFS front, altho they (or the shorter front axle) might be the bit that breaks first, IF you treat them rough enough, and generally there isn't much need! You can enhance them if you want to go harder, and you can get some pretty smart gear & accessories if you look in the right places. I never broke one at all until I started mucking around with seeing how many big block V8 horsie's I could stick under the bonnet, and the vehicle never let me down or failed to get me where I wanted to go before that.

Reliability is also pretty much as good as most other vehicle despite their reputation (largely jap owners bad mouthing things they just don't understand, or are scared might be better than their machines ;) ) altho they do have SOME well documented 'features' for ensuring that you know when you've still got oil in the components - when they stop dribbling & marking their territory, you just need to add oil! :D Regular maintenance & servicing is generally all you need to keep them going, altho they are sometimes a little temperamental and they do like being looked after by people who recognise that. They are really 'a way of life' rather than just another vehicle to get you from A to B, but it is a pretty good club you'd be joining if you picked this one up. I'm 'between Landies' atm, but another one'll eventually come along.

Cheers

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 16th, 2011, 12:52 pm

Just something that one of my keener 'Rangie owning' friends made clear to me yesterday, here in Aust unless it's a 1994 (or was it '95) Rangie with a 'Classic' badge on the back, then while it might be 'classic', it isn't really a Range Rover 'Classic' - that particular model was only sold here for a very short while around '94 - he had numbers & build dates on hand, but I can't remember exactly what they were, that's about the time my attention started wandering a little..... :boggle:

But he also suggested that despite the broader market pushing the prices up a bit, most Range Rover purists would consider any '88 Rangie in anything less than Good to Very Good condition in the paint, panel and interior departments would be somewhat overpriced if the asking price was more than about $3k - altho you might pay more if it also had a well documented maintenance and service history and was a 'personally know to be pretty good' vehicle.

Over to you.

slurf
Here and there

Unread post by slurf » November 19th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Yep, your right about the model but but it seems that all these old Rangies built before the major redesign in the mid nineties get bundled together under the "classic" banner.

I was kinda thinking it might be worth it cause of the recon engine and known history but its still a 20 plus year old car and whatever hasn't needed replacing or fixing in that time probably going to stuff up sooner rather than latter. These old Rangies seem to have some pretty odd design features when compared to jap cars.

Hopefully i will get a good look at it next week.

Return to “General Land Rover”