How do I go about selling a Capstan winch for a Ser 1 LR?

The original 4WD
Crez
I'm new, be nice!

How do I go about selling a Capstan winch for a Ser 1 LR?

Unread post by Crez » October 28th, 2010, 8:57 pm

Can anyone help me out with selling a capstan winch to suit a series 1 land rover

Psimpson7

Re: Capstan winch

Unread post by Psimpson7 » October 28th, 2010, 9:11 pm

Do you have any pictures?

What make is it?

Is it complete?

Crez
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Crez » October 29th, 2010, 8:52 am

I don't have any photo's handy hopefully I can get some in the next couple of days and put them up. It is complete but unsure of the make the only markings on the winch are part numbers I think. I have google surched images and found the same winch on a 1948 series one land rover if that helps at all.

Yorkshire_Jon2
Here and there

Unread post by Yorkshire_Jon2 » January 27th, 2013, 10:50 am

pictures & details please... it may go on my 80"

thanks
J
R
Jon

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: How do I go about selling a Capstan winch for a Ser 1 LR

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 27th, 2013, 12:00 pm

In response to the query, I've sent you a PM Crez, but briefly, (for Yorkshire Jon & others too) these things are pretty specific to early Land Rovers, and while we do have a good bunch of interested readers/posters here, it might be better to post up on the ALRO website/Forum where the Landy guru's and aficionado's all gather more regularly! :D

But if you want to try an Advert here, check out the Classifieds section, this would probably warrant an advert under Spares for Sale, I don't think too many other vehicles will take a Capstan Winch off a Series 1 ;)

If you ever want to use a Capstan Winch, get lessons first, understanding line handling theory and being fairly competent in your basic skills with them are pretty critical to keeping all your extremities!! They work well for what they are and for the time, but I for one am glad we don't hafta rely on them these days! :eek:

Good Luck
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Indy Hepburn
Need to get out more

Unread post by Indy Hepburn » February 18th, 2013, 8:57 pm

Whats wrong with those winch's Peter? have you seen the stuff the Leyland brothers had to go through up the cape with old style winch's..not perfect of course..but still pretty dam good mate :thumb:

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 18th, 2013, 11:47 pm

Nothing's wrong with them Indy, just like there's nothing wrong with a Model 'T' Ford! But I have used both, and I don't need to do it on an everyday basis! :D

If you know how to use them properly, have the right 'rope', and know your line handling then they can be alright; but they are still a lot harder to get reasonable results from than it is to get results from say, a Warn Winch - and if you get it wrong, you will probably lose a finger, an eye, or a limb!!

There are many still valid reasons why so many 'old salts' who had to use that sort of gear ended without eyes, fingers, hands, arms, and/or legs - and a fair few died too! :eek:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Yorkshire_Jon2
Here and there

Unread post by Yorkshire_Jon2 » March 3rd, 2013, 9:21 pm

Did you get any photos Peter or manage to sell it?

Is there a link elsewhere Ive missed?

thanks
Jon
R
Jon

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 3rd, 2013, 9:30 pm

Crez was the bloke trying to sell it back in Oct 2010, Jon, and I'm not all that sure that a capstan winch for a Series 1 Landy will fit (or could even be made to fit) an 80" :(

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » March 3rd, 2013, 10:04 pm

Peter Aawen wrote:Crez was the bloke trying to sell it back in Oct 2010, Jon, and I'm not all that sure that a capstan winch for a Series 1 Landy will fit (or could even be made to fit) an 80" :(
Talk about resurrecting an old thread :rolleyes:

Peter he is not talking about an 80 series - he is talking about an 80" Series 1 Landie.

Garry

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 4th, 2013, 9:26 am

My bad Garry :o altho I originally was responding to the question raised in Jan this year, which left just a short while between it and the last post prior to that back in Oct 2010 - and that Jan 2013 post & response has been followed by a bunch of PM's from a whole raft of people asking me how to contact people about this/these &/or how to fit/use a capstan winch and what other vehicles they would suit.... including later Toyota's & other more recent 4WD's :whyme:

All of the capstan winches I've used or had access to were very specific to the vehicle/models they were made to fit - they used PTO drives specific to that vehicle in order to turn the winch itself, and if you wanted to swap the winch to another vehicle, any variation in wheelbase between the two, or even a different winch mount up the front of the vehicle could mean that you'd need to get replacement PTO shafts in order to drive the winch from the PTO back where the transfer case sits. So even if it's just the difference of 6" between an early Series 1 & a later Series 1 it could well mean the winch is useless for anything else, UNLESS you can track down a PTO drive shaft or get someone to make one up of the right length.

And that's even before we start talking about why most people don't use capstan winches anymore! :eek: Great historical features if you are aiming for authenticity, but I for one am glad we have better things around these days! ;)

Yorkshire_Jon2
Here and there

Unread post by Yorkshire_Jon2 » March 4th, 2013, 11:17 am

Sorry guys, I never spotted the initial Oct 2010 date! No doubt it will be long gone by now!

thanks
Jon
R
Jon

Return to “General Land Rover”