Hilux Aftermarket Turbos....Another Option!!!

All Tojo Talk
BAZZEL BRUSH
Getting to know the place

Hilux Aftermarket Turbos....Another Option!!!

Unread post by BAZZEL BRUSH » July 22nd, 2008, 7:18 pm

Hey guys i've just been reading up on the aftermarket turbo threads to suit hilux diesels. They do seem very expensive for kits .
so i decided to do a bit of a trial run and have had massive success. I have a 89 surf whcih runs a 1997 5L 3 litre. I have fitted a T25g off a early Nissan SR20 to it and it seems to match almost perfectly. I currently have it on 10psi and it is a completely different car to drive now. I used to have the surf turbo kit on this engine but that didn't perform near as well. Anyway i am a fitter and machinist by trade so was able to do everything my self which made this very very cheap. Few little things like modifying the wastegate actuator bracket but nothing major. Used all the standard cross over pipes so looks almost factory.

Manifold: bends $10 at a garage sale + scrap from work for flanges
Turbo: $120 second hand
JIC fittings for oil feed: $86
all the rest was made up from left over exhaust pieces etc so yeh all up cost $216 minus oil + filter

Something to think about considering kits range from $2000 - $4000

BARGAIN

1989 Toyota Hilux Surf - 5L Turbo Diesel - 33 inch Baja Claws and other things.

MEGATROL
Been here a while

Unread post by MEGATROL » July 23rd, 2008, 7:28 am

Mate that looks realy good, im a fitter myself and im currently running an AXT turbo kit on my TD42 Patrol ute. its got good power but being the young fella i am im always after more power. and iv been thinken of doin the same thing. that is making my own manifold, but still use the same turbo as i think its a good size but i want to make all custom piping and bigger dump pipe, and iv got a top mount intercooler off a Subaru WRX that i want to incorperate into the system. and hopefully get a few more ponys outa the big 6cyl diesle.

Any way mate well done for your efforts.

MEGATROL
GQ coil cab ute, 4''coils, 2''cablift, 35'' Maxxis Creepy crawlers, turbo 4.2L diesle, rear air locker and much more!!![url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1973&im=1[/url]

Pagey_1
Been here a while

Unread post by Pagey_1 » July 23rd, 2008, 8:39 am

yeah thats awesome mate! Should look into a T28bb had one of those on my old SR20 and spooled up just as quick as the T25 but heaps more pull due to being bigger and ball bearing, probably push too much into the old diesel tho!

Thats great anyway mate, gives me food for thought, im running the little old TD04 on the 3L :p

PS: love the work with the manifold, very tidy :thumb:
[align=center][b][u]92 Dual Cab Hilux[/u][/b][/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=center]2.8 Turbo, 33s, Locked & Lifted, winch etc - [url=http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=749532#post749532]Click me[/url][/align]
[align=center][/alig

yamaha__308
Been here a while

Unread post by yamaha__308 » July 23rd, 2008, 8:50 am

Thats an awesome manifold, well done!
86 Hilux 2.4 turbo diesel

D1cko
Part of the furniture

Unread post by D1cko » July 23rd, 2008, 11:18 am

if the turbos of an sr20 then its for a petrol engine rite?

and i thought you couldnt use a petrol eng turbo diesel.

and the manifold is awsome. does it flow a lot better the the cast one that was on there?

BAZZEL BRUSH
Getting to know the place

Unread post by BAZZEL BRUSH » July 27th, 2008, 4:09 pm

Yeh everyone will tell you different stuff about the petrol turbo/diesel turbo but what i found was that no one actually had any real world experience, it always came from a friends' friend whos' uncle did it. I definately wouldn't put a later model turbo with ceramic exhaust wheel on it cos i rekon the diesel would knock it around a bit much. But yes you can use petrol turbos on diesels IN THIS CASE and they perform well. As far as the manifold goes anything would have been better that the standard one. I even made the manifold using the merge collecter used on all the really high end racing manifolds LOL. Worth doing its worth doing properly i say.
1989 Toyota Hilux Surf - 5L Turbo Diesel - 33 inch Baja Claws and other things.

BEU77Y
Part of the furniture

Unread post by BEU77Y » July 27th, 2008, 6:16 pm

Very nice work mate.
A mate of mine did a similar thing with his Patrol. Made his own maniflod and exhaust system. Made the tanks for a intercooler and a new airbox. Bought a new TB34 Garrett and is getting 15psi at 1800rpm on his 4.2. Considering it's got 480k on it, it's a monster. I've driven 4 different kit setups and my mates home job leaves them for dead.

I wanted to do the same to my 80 but never got around to it. Thankfully when we got our 105 it already had a Garrett on it, and I just had to swap it for the TB34 I had sitting in the shed. It's now punching out 13psi and it's a whole different car to drive.

Good to see somebody else not prepared to pay $4k for a kit.
[color="Plum"]BEU77Y[/color] and the [color="RoyalBlue"]BEE55T[/color] 105 series GXL Intercooled turbo diesel auto

[font="Arial Black"][color="Navy"][i]Don't take life too seriously.....no-one's getting out alive[/i][/color][/font]

Sic Lux
Been here a while

Unread post by Sic Lux » July 27th, 2008, 7:04 pm

Yeah nice work the thing with petrol to desiel turbos is seals in them you can put a petrol one on a desiel but not desiel to petrol the carbon kills the deseil seals and it'll just pump the oil out and look like a train out the exhasut because of it

dans03lux
Here and there

Unread post by dans03lux » July 28th, 2008, 4:04 pm

Mega jealous
Looks the goods.

Cheers Dan

DBY
Been here a while

Unread post by DBY » July 28th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Excuse my ignorance but why are tubo manifolds cast instead of this type of set up. It looks neta and looks like it would shed heat better than a heavy cast one. is it a weight thing the turbo weight i mean.

D1cko
Part of the furniture

Unread post by D1cko » July 29th, 2008, 9:14 pm

casting is cheaper and you dont want the exhaust to get to cool because its heavier and moves slower.

Ken7227
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Hilux Aftermarket Turbos....Another Option!!!

Unread post by Ken7227 » March 23rd, 2012, 10:45 am

Sorry for digging this old thread out :lol:
BAZZEL BRUSH, did you fabricate a new elbow between the turbine housing and dump pipe? I'm currently upgrading my ct20 to the T25G just like yours coz the ct20 seems to run out off puff too early

panaview
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Hilux Aftermarket Turbos....Another Option!!!

Unread post by panaview » June 17th, 2015, 8:05 pm

gday mate, Im starting to look at putting a turbo on my 03 hill that runs the old 5l engine. I'm still an apprentice so saving 2-4k when your getting paid penny and dimes is a nightmare in itself. I'm a chippy so know where the fuel goes in and the basic controls behind the wheel. I'm keen on getting out on the tracks but my mates are sooting around in old GQ's and the old girl really struggles to keep up, you don't have a shop by any chance do ya?

Return to “General Toyota”