Eaton E-locker

All Tojo Talk
lumberjack6769
Avid Poster

Eaton E-locker

Unread post by lumberjack6769 » July 7th, 2008, 12:03 pm

Has any body gone down the path of the eaton e-locker yet by HARROP ENGINEERING? In my case to fit the 80series Cruiser.

:drink:

SimonInAustralia
Been here a while

Unread post by SimonInAustralia » March 11th, 2009, 7:25 pm

Bump.

Anyone tried one of these Eaton ELockers as yet?

Any opinions on them at all?

I'm considering them for my HZJ78 Troopy, the front is available now, and the rear should be available mid-year.
[align=center][font=Courier New][color=indigo][url=http://www.4wdaction.com.au/gallery/35168-troopy-snowcamper][b]HZJ78 Troopy Snowcamper[/b] (High Roof Campervan)[/url]
1HZ,DTS Turbo Kit,Boost Compensator,3" Exhaust
305/70R16 Mickey Thompson MTZ,16x8" King Wheels
Harrop/Eaton Front ELocker...Lots of Stuff & Things Planned![/color][/font][/align]

croozy
Need to get out more

Unread post by croozy » March 11th, 2009, 8:19 pm

I was looking at one for my shorty but was told it would be one of the last ones they would be doing & was given the price of around $1500 mark plus fitting.
I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.

HAVE A GANDA AT MY SHED
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/gallery/21984-crikey

Redfox355
Been here a while

Unread post by Redfox355 » May 17th, 2009, 9:47 pm

Has anyone bought one of the e-lockers yet? I'm interest for '94 HZJ75 rear end. Are they any good? How do they measure up to the ARB airlockers?

SimonInAustralia
Been here a while

Unread post by SimonInAustralia » May 19th, 2009, 1:19 pm

I put one in the front of my HZJ78 Troopy last week.

Will put one in the rear when a model is available to suit it later in the year.

Seems good, but I don't have any experience with ARB or other air lockers, so I really have no idea.

My mechanic thought it was a lot less work to install than the ARB Air Lockers, without the compressor that the ARB needs.

I'll be giving it a good workout once there are some more snowfalls in the high country.

Instructions warn that it should be engaged below 5kph, without load, and not used above 30kph, or it could be damaged and not covered by warranty, not sure if that is an issue for some.

So, it's in, it works, but no idea how strong and reliable it is compared to the ARB Air Locker.
[align=center][font=Courier New][color=indigo][url=http://www.4wdaction.com.au/gallery/35168-troopy-snowcamper][b]HZJ78 Troopy Snowcamper[/b] (High Roof Campervan)[/url]
Harrop/Eaton Front ELocker...Lots of Stuff & Things Planned![/color][/font][/align]

yellowfever187
Been here a while

Unread post by yellowfever187 » May 21st, 2009, 7:07 pm

i personally haven't had any experience with these in my own vehicles, however i've had alot of friends who have run them. There opinion was they will never have an arb or an air leaker again as they say. They say they are alot simpler and don't tend to fail you on the trail like arb's. I don't know if they are available here but they also like the ox lockers as well. Don't know if its any help being that its third wind.

lumberjack6769
Avid Poster

Unread post by lumberjack6769 » May 21st, 2009, 7:21 pm

SimonInAustralia
Been here a while

Harrop/Eaton ELocker

Unread post by SimonInAustralia » May 21st, 2009, 10:36 pm

What comes in the box...ELocker, wiring loom, split tubing, cable ties, stickers/warranty cards, instructions...

The Harrop/Eaton ELocker for the front of my HZJ78 Troopy...

Original HZJ78 diff centre out, new Harrop/Eaton Elocker diff centre waiting for ring gear to go in...

Harrop/Eaton Elocker diff centre nearly ready to be installed...

truK
Been here a while

Unread post by truK » February 6th, 2010, 10:13 pm

lads,

for those of you who fitted the e lockers, how have you found them now that you have used them for a little while?

unfort i ended up getting the arb air locker and have since had problems with a leaking oring. really wish i had seen these elockers before i went to arb :(

it appears that they only have them for hiluxes, and a few of the other landcrusers? nothing for other vehicles such as defenders?

Clintfzj79
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Clintfzj79 » February 7th, 2010, 10:26 am

that looks mint
just at 4x4 shop yester day
the bloke said the rear is ment to be out now but they have no more new
price about 1500

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 7th, 2010, 1:50 pm

Simon, yours is just the 'E-Locker' isn't it, not the Lockable TrueTrac or Elec-Trac?? The 'E-Locker' is basically just a manually lockable diff, while the Elec-Trac was an electrically lockable version of the TrueTrac geared LSD that was being investigated altho I believe it may not yet have made it to the market. I tested a few of both types fairly extensively some time back, and was quite impressed with them, altho being a Detroit Locker fan, personally I prefered the constant traction aid provided by the Elec-Trac's LSD ability over the open unless locked ability of the 'E-Locker'.

Still, if you want a manual locker, the 'E-Locker' is certainly a good way to go. It's pretty hard to make things go wrong with them, and if you do happen to catch the wires on something on a track somewhere (not at all common or even all that likely) it's usually quite a simple & quick fix. And nowhere near as hard to UN-lock as some other manual lockers once you flick the OFF switch - it's usually pretty much intantaneous, even under load!

So for those who want manual lockers, the 'E-Locker' is a really good option; imho a better option than most other manual lockers.

Cheers
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

SimonInAustralia
Been here a while

Unread post by SimonInAustralia » February 7th, 2010, 5:47 pm

Yes Peter, my front is a Harrop (Eaton) E-Locker, open until switched to lock.

I think it uses what is similar to an electrically operated AC compressor clutch to enable the locking mechanism, forcing pins into the diff centre to lock it.

The Elec-Trac sounds like a great idea though, LSD until switched to full lock would be better for sure.

The E-Locker in mine still usually needs the front wheels the be returned to centre to unload it before it unlocks.

I have not used it enough, or had experience with other lockers, to be able to compare to other options, but it seems to work well.

It is only new here in Australia with Harrop, but the design has been in use in US models from Eaton previously, not sure how long for, but it should be a more proven design than something totally brand-new to market.

I am going to swap to different axle housings/diffs that have vacuum operated lockers soon, but will probably go for a rear E-Locker for my original diffs before then, to use until I get the other axle housings/diffs fitted later in the year or early next year.

ozrunner
Been here a while

Unread post by ozrunner » February 8th, 2010, 9:50 pm

Peter @ Aawen4x4 wrote:.....The 'E-Locker' is basically just a manually lockable diff, while the Elec-Trac was an electrically lockable version of the TrueTrac geared LSD that was being investigated altho I believe it may not yet have made it to the market. I tested a few of both types fairly extensively some time back, and was quite impressed with them, altho being a Detroit Locker fan, personally I prefered the constant traction aid provided by the Elec-Trac's LSD ability over the open unless locked ability of the 'E-Locker'.......
Exactly and why I have had a Detroit Electrac in the rear of my 4Runner since late 2003 and it has been awesome with no issues.

Unlocked you cannot beat the basic LSD qualities of a geared lsd (ie torsen) and being able to fully lock it at the flick of a switch in my view makes it the rolls royce of lockers :D

4bdan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by 4bdan » February 19th, 2010, 8:56 am

ozrunner wrote:Exactly and why I have had a Detroit Electrac in the rear of my 4Runner since late 2003 and it has been awesome with no issues.

Unlocked you cannot beat the basic LSD qualities of a geared lsd (ie torsen) and being able to fully lock it at the flick of a switch in my view makes it the rolls royce of lockers :D
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the Detroit Electrac?
1991 Dual Cab Hilux 2.8 Red Rocket

EFIwindsor
Avid Poster

Unread post by EFIwindsor » February 19th, 2010, 1:02 pm

4bdan wrote:If you don't mind me asking, how much was the Detroit Electrac?

And where did you get it from???
HZJ105, GT2860, FMIC, H151 conversion, pro locker and a custom made camper.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=77441&start=125

Return to “General Toyota”