2LT injector pump internal timing?

All Tojo Talk
double diffa
Part of the furniture

Unread post by double diffa » November 12th, 2007, 11:28 am

Yeh, I thought it would be something like that, my thoughts are that my current 2L pump, which I have set to 500 degrees at full load and 2800 rpm, will have to be supplying the same amount of fuel, on boost, as the boost compensator would.
When I had the 2LT pump on, after it was caliberated by the diesel shop, it to, ran at 500 deg, so same heat = same fuel correct?
So by fitting the hac, it would only supply less fuel below boost, because the 2L pump is over fueling down low.?
"[b][i]Parts left out cost nothing, and cause no service problems, keep it simple[/i][/b]"

Turbotojo
Been here a while

Unread post by Turbotojo » November 12th, 2007, 11:48 am

Yer! something like that. Although more heat would only be caused by a cleaner burn. I think you might have reached the max possible power unless the motor is reworked or set up differently . Don't go nuts with the over fueling as it could stuff the pistons like in one of my 60s, all pistons were severely damaged on top and the sides.

The pump with the compensator would be exactly the same as the normal one only that it icreases the fuel under boost. i think the the compensator can be adjusted to provide more or less fuel or yours could be damaged.
An EGT is not a good indiacator of whats happening with the injection side of things, personally I wouldn't bother with one as there is not much you can do to control the exhaust temp anyway. And the amount of fuel going in also depends on the injector itself. if the opening pressure isn't set correctly then that extra fuel doesn't get atomised properly or goes back to the tank and not into the cylinder. My injectors are worn and so fuel consumption is up as they open at a lower pressure.
[font=Arial Black][font=Book Antiqua]LJ78 Landcruiser II now locked and loaded.
[url]http://www.dieselworkhorseauto.com.au/index.php[/url][/font][/font]

double diffa
Part of the furniture

Unread post by double diffa » November 12th, 2007, 12:19 pm

I mainly put the pyro on so I would know when, and how long to idle down.
I hate idling engines unneccessarily, particularly diesels, glazing etc.
If the EGT is 350F or lower, I just shut her down.
I figured all else being equal, same injectors etc, the EGT should have been a pretty good indicator of maximum safe fuel heat.
I can't see any smoke in the mirror, once it's on boost, I have the exhaust exiting at the LH rear bumper, so I can keep an eye on the smoke.
But since I set it up, two years ago, I haven't had a worry, or a need to fiddle, it's just incase I need to change pumps due to a leak in the future.
"[b][i]Parts left out cost nothing, and cause no service problems, keep it simple[/i][/b]"

Turbotojo
Been here a while

Unread post by Turbotojo » November 12th, 2007, 12:24 pm

OK. you shouldn't have to idle down more than 3 minutes and 30 seconds is usually enough after normal driving. Its the oil temp that really matters.
If it is all going good then don't touch it. Just keep driving.
Where is the pump leaking?

80s guy
Here and there

Unread post by 80s guy » November 12th, 2007, 1:37 pm

What is the pump number of your standard 2L pump, ie the 096000- ????. The 2LT pump you have is fitted to a toyota crown 2lt. There maybe a difference internally with advance rates.

Andy

double diffa
Part of the furniture

Unread post by double diffa » November 12th, 2007, 8:00 pm

80s guy wrote:What is the pump number of your standard 2L pump, ie the 096000- ????. The 2LT pump you have is fitted to a toyota crown 2lt. There maybe a difference internally with advance rates.

Andy
This one, it was easier to get my camera down there than to stand on my head with a mirror :)

double diffa
Part of the furniture

Unread post by double diffa » November 12th, 2007, 8:03 pm

OM617isbest wrote: Where is the pump leaking?
It was leaking at the shut off solanoid, but I managed to replace it in the vehicle by taking the top off the pump.
It was bloody tight, I had to machine a rattle gun single hex socket down, to fit and use a breaker bar to loosen it.

Turbotojo
Been here a while

Unread post by Turbotojo » November 12th, 2007, 8:14 pm

Holy crap!! Sounds a bit too tight. You might have done some damage. When I pulled mine apart I just used a 1/4" ratchet and hex bit.

Turbotojo
Been here a while

Unread post by Turbotojo » November 12th, 2007, 8:15 pm

Did you just take and uplaod the photo to photobucket? I tried it and takes ages.

double diffa
Part of the furniture

Unread post by double diffa » November 12th, 2007, 8:41 pm

OM617isbest wrote:Holy crap!! Sounds a bit too tight. You might have done some damage. When I pulled mine apart I just used a 1/4" ratchet and hex bit.
The 2L pump has been on the vehicle for as long as I've had it, about 4 years, except for the couple of months that I was trying to get the stupid 2LT pump to perform.
Last week I drove my other car into the shed beside the 4B, and could smell diesel, I looked under and saw a puddle of diesel on the floor.
I thought "Here we go, I've got a gutfull of bio somewhere and the o"rings are cactus".
But it turned out to be the shut down valve leaking around the bolt.
I tried conventional spanners, but couldn't budge it, so as a last resort, I took the top off so I could get a socket onto it.
Whoever tightened it must have been used to working on dozers, you know "As tight as humanly possible, then one more turn"
Everything is working fine, no leaks, it runs good, so I don't think anything was damaged.
It's been that tight for as long as I have had it.

The photobucket thing works fine for me, maybe you are loading to bigger image files.
If you click on "options" then select 15" screen 800 x 600 that's what I did.

Turbotojo
Been here a while

Unread post by Turbotojo » November 13th, 2007, 5:29 pm

Just keep an eye on Ebay for pumps as you could snap up a bargain. There are some new electronic ones there for about $450 I think. I bought a used reco one for $200 plus postage so that was pretty cheap and it works perfectly. There you go.

Turbotojo
Been here a while

Unread post by Turbotojo » November 13th, 2007, 5:41 pm

I don't know if this has been covered yet ( I can't be bothered looking through the thread again) but have you put new injector nozzles in yet?

double diffa
Part of the furniture

Unread post by double diffa » November 13th, 2007, 8:53 pm

OM617isbest wrote:I don't know if this has been covered yet ( I can't be bothered looking through the thread again) but have you put new injector nozzles in yet?
Yep, tried both 2L & 2LT made no difference, I wraped the pump back up in a plastic bag, and put it back in the shed.
No one seems willing to say yay, or nay as to weather it's worth fitting the boost compensator, and what, if any, are the advantages.
I thought someone who had done it might have given their opinion, as to before, and after.
Personaly, I think it's a wast of time and money.
Thanks for your advice, and conversation, It's been very enlightening. :)
:thumb:

Turbotojo
Been here a while

Unread post by Turbotojo » November 14th, 2007, 4:41 pm

Just a thing on the boost compensator. A mate of mine just rebuilt his 3L and this time fitted the compensator and he reckons it goes a lot better than with just the turbo on its own.

double diffa
Part of the furniture

Unread post by double diffa » November 14th, 2007, 8:43 pm

OM617isbest wrote:Just a thing on the boost compensator. A mate of mine just rebuilt his 3L and this time fitted the compensator and he reckons it goes a lot better than with just the turbo on its own.
Ok, thanks for that, it must have been running lean before, in order to pick up more power now.
The full load injection volume should be the same, with and without boost compensator yes?

Return to “General Toyota”