2LT injector pump internal timing?

All Tojo Talk
Turbotojo
Been here a while

Unread post by Turbotojo » November 15th, 2007, 6:27 am

If you crank the pump up it would inject more fuel in the lower revs than it can burn till the turbo can pump more air in. I see a lot of that out on the road, a trail of black smoke following a slow moving Hilux. With the boost compensator fitted it would make the injection volume variable and therefore more fuel efficient. I would sugest that you get new injector nozzles and get someone that knows about turbo setups to set the pressure correctly so that the higher fuel quantity injected atomizes properly. this would also inject less fuel than that delivered by the pump under full load and give you a better burn and more fuel back in the tank.
[font=Arial Black][font=Book Antiqua]LJ78 Landcruiser II now locked and loaded.
[url]http://www.dieselworkhorseauto.com.au/index.php[/url][/font][/font]

double diffa
Part of the furniture

Unread post by double diffa » November 15th, 2007, 8:14 am

Fair enough, that's why I bought the 2LT pump in the first place, but after getting it caliberated and finding it no better, I lost confidence.
I do have new nozzels, it sounds like the shop I was useing don't know their *****.
Maybe next time :)
"[b][i]Parts left out cost nothing, and cause no service problems, keep it simple[/i][/b]"

HDJ105
Need to get out more

Unread post by HDJ105 » November 15th, 2007, 9:02 am

double diffa wrote: The full load injection volume should be the same, with and without boost compensator yes?

Yes, if adjusted properly, as all the BC does is restrict the injection volume until the set amount of boost overcomes the spring preload and allows full volume to be injected.
Greg G.
2000 HDJ105 ~ 1HD-FT I/C TD

double diffa
Part of the furniture

Unread post by double diffa » November 15th, 2007, 10:33 am

Yeh, that's what I thought, so the only real adventage would be a cleaner burn below boost (2000 revs).
I don't spend much time there anyway, I try to drive between 2000 and 3000 rpm.
Noing my luck, if I need to use my spare pump again, it will leak from sitting.
I would consider fitting the B.C. to my existing pump, as long as I don't have to remove the pump to do it.
If it was just a mater of swaping tops, and then fiddleing with the full load injection volume untill it runs the same exhaust temp as what i have now, then I am willing to have a go.
Better than having a $500 pump I can't use.
"[b][i]Parts left out cost nothing, and cause no service problems, keep it simple[/i][/b]"

trains
Avid Poster

Unread post by trains » November 15th, 2007, 10:51 am

check the internal timing of the pump whilst its out of the vehicle.
If its not to specs, you have most likely found the problem.
Then just retest when its on the vehicle.
another thing to consider tho, is the BC diaphragm in good condition, if there split, they will cause issues like poor fuel consumption, lack of power etc.

Trains
All easy stuff to check whilst its out of the vehicle.
My Wife cant shear But you should see her crutch!

Save the Whales......Collect the whole set!

Fight Crime.......Shoot Back !

double diffa
Part of the furniture

Unread post by double diffa » November 15th, 2007, 12:39 pm

Yeh, that's all working, and they both run the same exhaust temp @ full load, so must be the same fuel being burnt.
I'm not pulling the pump off again, and I'm not game to refit the 2LT pump after it's been sitting for 2 years it will probably leak.
The diesel shop was supposed to set the pump up, so should be all correct.

I would rather put the B.C. on my current pump, but i'm not going to pull the pump off, so if it can be done in the vehicle, I might do that.

Turbotojo
Been here a while

Unread post by Turbotojo » November 15th, 2007, 8:01 pm

So long as it's going you should be right. Lets start a new thread.

I can't think of anything constructive.
[font=Arial Black][font=Book Antiqua]LJ78 Landcruiser II now locked and loaded.
[url]http://www.dieselworkhorseauto.com.au/index.php[/url][/font][/font]

double diffa
Part of the furniture

Unread post by double diffa » November 15th, 2007, 9:16 pm

New thread started.

Greenlion
I'm new, be nice!

Re: 2LT injector pump internal timing?

Unread post by Greenlion » April 20th, 2015, 1:59 am

There is a special tool (timer measuring device, Denso No. 95095-10220) that goes in under a side cover on the pump and you need a dial gauge to set the pump timing properly.
I'm looking for this timing device, mentioned above. Does anyone know what Dial Guage to use that fits correctly on the 2L-T, what company and part #? Does that Denso Timing Kit 95095-10220 t come with the dial guage?

Return to “General Toyota”