View topic - 80 series air-con pulley bearing

80 series air-con pulley bearing

All Tojo Talk
Need to get out more

80 series air-con pulley bearing

hey guys,
the bearing behind the pulley on the air con unit, on my 80 series diesel is howling and growling. I know it is this as i pulled the belt off and it stooped, and the pulley is hard to turn.
My question it, if i undo the 10mm bolt on the front of the air con unit, will the pulley and bearing come straight off, or will i need to take off the whole unit,??? ( which might mean getting it re-gassed ).
cheers

Unread postby woolgoolgaoffroad » October 7th, 2007, 6:40 pm

Avid Poster

woolgoolgaoffroad wrote:hey guys,
the bearing behind the pulley on the air con unit, on my 80 series diesel is howling and growling. I know it is this as i pulled the belt off and it stooped, and the pulley is hard to turn.
My question it, if i undo the 10mm bolt on the front of the air con unit, will the pulley and bearing come straight off, or will i need to take off the whole unit,??? ( which might mean getting it re-gassed ).
cheers

The pulley will come off if you undo that bolt.No regassing etc Toyota will only sell you a complete clutch for about $200. I found an aircon shop that replaces the bearing with an aftermarket type. You could do it yourself if you remove the bearing and take it to a bearing distributor to size up the bearing.

Unread postby roscoFJ73 » October 7th, 2007, 8:32 pm

Need to get out more

roscoFJ73 wrote:The pulley will come off if you undo that bolt.No regassing etc Toyota will only sell you a complete clutch for about $200. I found an aircon shop that replaces the bearing with an aftermarket type. You could do it yourself if you remove the bearing and take it to a bearing distributor to size up the bearing.

thanks, have a mate that has a bearing shop,soi will go that way......
had to happen at the start of summer, grrrrr

thanks again

Unread postby woolgoolgaoffroad » October 7th, 2007, 9:01 pm

Avid Poster

woolgoolgaoffroad wrote:thanks, have a mate that has a bearing shop,soi will go that way......

thanks again

Better than in the middle of summer;)

Unread postby roscoFJ73 » October 8th, 2007, 11:42 am

Need to get out more

woolgoolgaoffroad wrote:thanks, have a mate that has a bearing shop,soi will go that way......

thanks again

If it's the original genuine ND compressor, ask your mate for a Nachi 30BGS10DST or equivalent. ;)
Greg G.
2000 HDJ105 ~ 1HD-FT I/C TD

Unread postby HDJ105 » October 8th, 2007, 2:05 pm

Part of the furniture

Once you undo the 10mm nut you will have to prise the front plate off. Once you have done that there is a circlip which needs to be removed before the pulley will come off. The pulley generally needs to be removed with a 3 legged puller. If you decide to use a pair of screwdrivers ( this does work ) just be careful not to damage the clutch coil behind the pulley.

The bearing is a press fit in the pulley itself and has nothing to do with the clutch. Either smash it out and tap a new one in or have a shop do it for you.

Are you sure its only the pulley bearing? Take the belt off and spin the pulley. Then spin the front plate of the compressor and make sure it turns smoothly
4" lift, 33" Bighorns, Rear Air Locker, Winch, Rock Sliders

Unread postby FourXfouR » October 8th, 2007, 5:23 pm

Need to get out more

FourXfouR wrote:Once you undo the 10mm nut you will have to prise the front plate off. Once you have done that there is a circlip which needs to be removed before the pulley will come off. The pulley generally needs to be removed with a 3 legged puller. If you decide to use a pair of screwdrivers ( this does work ) just be careful not to damage the clutch coil behind the pulley.

The bearing is a press fit in the pulley itself and has nothing to do with the clutch. Either smash it out and tap a new one in or have a shop do it for you.

Are you sure its only the pulley bearing? Take the belt off and spin the pulley. Then spin the front plate of the compressor and make sure it turns smoothly

yeah i did take the belt off, noise stopped straight away. and as for spinning the pulley, i cant, its bloody so notchy, so i will put money on that this is the problem.
thank you for your reply
kev

and thanks 105 for the part numbers

Unread postby woolgoolgaoffroad » October 8th, 2007, 6:30 pm

Part of the furniture

ah sweet, no worries then

Unread postby FourXfouR » October 8th, 2007, 7:14 pm

Part of the furniture

FourXfouR wrote:Once you undo the 10mm nut you will have to prise the front plate off. Once you have done that there is a circlip which needs to be removed before the pulley will come off. The pulley generally needs to be removed with a 3 legged puller. If you decide to use a pair of screwdrivers ( this does work ) just be careful not to damage the clutch coil behind the pulley.

he is right on the money make shoure you get that c clip off not a really hard job

Unread postby jimbo jones » October 8th, 2007, 10:48 pm

Part of the furniture

Also I forgot to mention. Once you have it all apart check the surface that the inside of the bearing sits over ( alloy nose cone on the compressor ) if its damaged in any way then you have a bigger drama on your hands

Unread postby FourXfouR » October 9th, 2007, 7:09 am

Need to get out more

FourXfouR wrote:Also I forgot to mention. Once you have it all apart check the surface that the inside of the bearing sits over ( alloy nose cone on the compressor ) if its damaged in any way then you have a bigger drama on your hands

good on ya, now i am getting scared !!!!!
lol,thanks

Unread postby woolgoolgaoffroad » October 9th, 2007, 7:19 am

Avid Poster

I forgot the cir clip:o It can be easy to damage the lip trying to get the clip over the edge of it.

Unread postby roscoFJ73 » October 9th, 2007, 2:26 pm

Part of the furniture

woolgoolgaoffroad wrote:good on ya, now i am getting scared !!!!!
lol,thanks

haha sorry mate,

But....I thought I would let ya know, saves ya putting it all back together and having it happen all over again!

Unread postby FourXfouR » October 9th, 2007, 7:14 pm

Need to get out more

well i took everyones advice, seek some help from our local air con place and he gave me the same advice as you guys ( not that i ever doubted it !!! )........................ took it all apart, one thing he did tell me was put a live wire to the plug on top of the air con, and this will lock the plate to the pulley-makes it easier to crack the 10mm nut on top. Easy.
Next i took the very locked bearing to a mate, pressed it out, got a new one from next door ( $27.40 ) new one pressed in ( free ) and now i am one cool cucumber.
So thanks to every one for their help.

Unread postby woolgoolgaoffroad » November 27th, 2007, 5:13 pm

Part of the furniture

Glad to hear she is all sweet mate, good little tip using the clutch pack to crack the bolt, I generally use air tools at work so have never had a drama

Unread postby FourXfouR » November 27th, 2007, 6:04 pm

Return to General Toyota