86 HJ60- oil on trans/case but not on ground - worry or not

All Tojo Talk
XJalltheway
Here and there

86 HJ60- oil on trans/case but not on ground - worry or not

Unread post by XJalltheway » June 29th, 2016, 8:41 am

Gday, my newly acquired 60 has a leaking transfer case. The case is covered in old oil and muck to about halfway up, and the bash plate is covered in oil too. There are a few drops of clean(ish) tcase oil hanging around the bottom of the tcase and bashplate, but it has never left any oil stains on the ground anywhere that I've parked it. That leads me to believe that maybe the tcase has been completely drained of oil since before I had it, or maybe its just a really, really slow leak. What could be causing this? Blown seal or gasket somewhere? And should I be worried about this, or is it fairly normal for an old 60? I haven't had it in 4wd yet. Any help is immensely appreciated, thanks

nilla60

Re: 86 HJ60- oil on trans/case but not on ground - worry or

Unread post by nilla60 » June 29th, 2016, 8:58 pm

You'll want to drain and change all the fluids anyway. Get yourself a six-sided (not star) socket and a big breaker bar and *carefully* undo the filler plugs without rounding them (and inspect oil level) before you take the drain bungs out. Pay attention to the colour and cleanliness of the oil coming out.

It could be any number of things. Maybe it is a slow leak and hasn't been attended to in a long while. Sometimes the seal between the gearbox and transfer can leak, pushing too much oil into the transfer. Who knows how long since it was last checked. But I'd drain and change, clean the box and see how things go before taking things further.

XJalltheway
Here and there

Re: 86 HJ60- oil on trans/case but not on ground - worry or

Unread post by XJalltheway » June 30th, 2016, 8:15 pm

Yeah after trawling the net for info I'm thinking it might be the transfer/gearbox seal forcing too much oil into the tcase. Seems to be a common source for a leaking tcase. I'll clean the box up, check the fluid levels and change it and see what happens. I might go ahead and install a tube from the gearbox filler to the tcase filler while I'm at it.

Return to “General Toyota”