'99 Prado 3.4 5VZ-FE rear engine rattle

All Tojo Talk
fred99999au
Avid Poster

'99 Prado 3.4 5VZ-FE rear engine rattle

Unread post by fred99999au » June 4th, 2016, 1:22 pm

Hi All. Missus car had a squeak/rattle which I found sounded like it was at the rear of the engine/flex plate. It is a '99 Prado with the 3.4 5VZ-FE engine and an auto trans.

Everything seemed tight, I took the inspection plate off the bellhousing (an exercise in contortion by itself) and some crusty black crap fell out. Looks like it could have been some sort of foam seal in a previous life.

Anyway, noise is louder and coming from the bellhousing. I checked the ring gear as best I could and it looked intact with n o broken welds.

On a whim, I sprayed some WD40 up there and whooshka, noise changes and then subsides.

So, I get some better lubricant and give it a couple of blasts of that and the noise is gone.

Sounds by this description that it might be a dry rear main seal. Usually the other way round, I would have thought, a weeping rear main.

It might only last to the end of the driveway, I don't know, but sounds fixed at the moment.

Is this a common thing with the 5VZ-FE?

fred99999au
Avid Poster

Re: '99 Prado 3.4 5VZ-FE rear engine rattle

Unread post by fred99999au » June 15th, 2016, 11:02 am

Yeah, nah it isn’t a dry rear main. I've done a bit of googledge and spoke to the mechanic who normally services it and he reckon the bolts on the flex plate are loose.

I tightened the ones into the torque convertor and it is making a slightly different noise, so it must be the 8 bolts holding the flexplate to the crank, which is apparently a known problem. Or the flexplate is cracked like this: Image

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Re: '99 Prado 3.4 5VZ-FE rear engine rattle

Unread post by typhoeus » June 15th, 2016, 8:59 pm

well, that would make a mess in there when it lets go! and, no doubt it is an expensive exercise to remove the transmission, torque converter etc to replace/ check $50 worth of bolts or the flex plate! can you lever the flex plate back & forth to make it squeak or see if there is excessive movement?

Return to “General Toyota”