View topic - GQ Patrol Tacho Repair?

GQ Patrol Tacho Repair?

For the Nissan nuts
Been here a while

GQ Patrol Tacho Repair?

I have a '96 GQ Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel. The Tacho has stopped working. I have checked the sensor which seems to be working ok. I have found lots of information on the web regarding this problem, which tends to point to poor solder connections on the Tacho. I have removed the Tacho from the dash, but now need some decent direction in removing the needle so as to be able to access the circuit board. Any assistance greatly appreciated. I do not want to damage a repairable instrument by attempting to remove the needle incorrectly.
Brian:confused:
[SIZE="7"]GO HARDER[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]Then walk home...:cry:[/SIZE]

:truck: GQ Patrol Ute, 4inch lift, Front Locker, 35in Simex, Endless Air,Winch and some dents.:truck:

Unread postby BLF52 » October 26th, 2008, 7:53 pm

Admin

Your best bet might be an instrument repair shop, or if you really want to do it yourself, spend a few dollars at the wreckers on a tacho that doesn't work, and pull it apart any old way to find out how to do it the best way?! Often you can get the throw-out stuff for next to nothing, altho you might hafta get there at the right time to see it go in the bin. Give em a try tho', it might make it all a lot easier - and you never know, the bits that DO work might be the bits that you end up needing to make yours behave again!??

Cheers!
An Ex-Service person is someone who, at some stage in their life, thought enough about their country, how great it is, and how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for an amount of 'Up to and including my Life!'

Unread postby Peter Aawen » October 26th, 2008, 9:37 pm

Been here a while

Peter @ Aawen4x4 wrote:Your best bet might be an instrument repair shop, or if you really want to do it yourself, spend a few dollars at the wreckers on a tacho that doesn't work, and pull it apart any old way to find out how to do it the best way?! Often you can get the throw-out stuff for next to nothing, altho you might hafta get there at the right time to see it go in the bin. Give em a try tho', it might make it all a lot easier - and you never know, the bits that DO work might be the bits that you end up needing to make yours behave again!??

Cheers!

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your reply. I bit the bullet and removed the needle and shaft. I them checked all solder joints, but to no avail. So, I am now looking for a replacement, but none at wreckers so far. I may just buy a new 2.5 inch unit and fit it above the air vent to the right of the instrument cluster. Better than nothing I guess. :cry:
[SIZE="7"]GO HARDER[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]Then walk home...:cry:[/SIZE]

:truck: GQ Patrol Ute, 4inch lift, Front Locker, 35in Simex, Endless Air,Winch and some dents.:truck:

Unread postby BLF52 » October 27th, 2008, 5:21 pm

Return to General Nissan