GQ towing capacity

For the Nissan nuts
Andrew8683
Avid Poster

GQ towing capacity

Unread post by Andrew8683 » August 1st, 2008, 10:10 pm

Hey all

Iv been thinking of buying a camper trailer so i need to know how much the big girl can tow legally

I have looked at the plate on my Reece tow bar it says 1800kg It also mentions to look inthe owners manual which a did with no luck

Being only the RD28 im thinking its a bit less than its bigger bro TD42 .

Any ideas??

Cheers
The boat anchor RD28T

Punk_Cruiser
Been here a while
Location: wishing I was in the NT or Brisbane instead of 4 seasons in a Day Victoria

Unread post by Punk_Cruiser » August 2nd, 2008, 12:30 pm

I am no Nissan nut but according to the hayman reece website all gqs can tow 2800kgs braked irregardless of engine/trans combo. I wouldn't want to do it with the RD28. I'm sure it could but it would be a slow trip and dunno how much the engine would like it. The RD28 would probably be fine with towing a camper trailer though as i'm asuming that it weighs in the vicinity of 1500 - 1800kgs.

here is the link for the hayman reece website Hayman Reese Towbars, Hitch Receivers, Protection Bars, Cargo Barriers, Acessories & Bike Racks

hope my 2c helps

cheers
1997 40th anvisery 80 series gxl, 1hz powered with K & N air filter redback extracors, 2.5 mecury turbo diesel exhaust, arb rear bar and airtek snorkel, Bridestone d694 desert duellers and pedders towing suspension. Can nowdance at 3000 - 4000 rpm no worr

Andrew8683
Avid Poster

Unread post by Andrew8683 » August 2nd, 2008, 11:23 pm

Thanks mate that is very helpfull

yeh 2800kg's would have me looking for a new new clutch quick smart
The boat anchor RD28T

Corindi

Unread post by Corindi » August 2nd, 2008, 11:33 pm

redbook also lists towing capacities.
www.BillabongFurniture.com.au

Corindi

Unread post by Corindi » August 2nd, 2008, 11:35 pm

from redbook
Kerb Weight (kg)1960Gross Combination Mass (kg)5300Gross Vehicle Mass (kg)2800Pay Load (kg)840Towing Braked (kg)2500Wheel Base (mm)2970
www.BillabongFurniture.com.au

longranger
Getting to know the place

Unread post by longranger » August 3rd, 2008, 8:08 pm

from what ive read for a gq. 1500kg,unbraked.then2500kg braked.although i think this has been upgradedto 3500kg and back dated to cover all gqs.peters the man to ask.im only going by memory.(now where did i put my beer ?)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 3rd, 2008, 10:07 pm

You got it pretty right longranger, except the limits for the big diesels are now: unbraked max 750kg; braked max 3,500kg!

Altho do remember that those max ratings are the max allowed for the vehicle, and if your towbar has lower ratings then you've got to go by the max limits listed on the compliance plate that should be welded to the bar!

There were a few changes to the ratings for the various models as the GQ progressed during its development, but around 97/98 there was a standardisation that saw the max limits changed to the 750kg unbraked and 3,500kg braked and back dated to cover the entire GQ range and the new GU range. Hayman Reece put out a bar that reflected that, and it is usually listed as a GQ/GU bar rather than just a GQ bar. I don't believe that any of the states have made any changes to lower those limits, most now rely on the specified limits from the manufacturer, altho it would be worth a check with your rego/transport Authority just to make sure! After all - better safe than sorry! And at the upper end of the scale too, you may find that you hafta fit breakaway braking systems and other safety features that aren't normally seen on your usual 6'x4' trailers.

I've travelled with GQ & GU 2.8s (different turbo/intercooler set ups) towing up to (and possibly even over - shh, don't tell anyone!) the legal limit and if you aren't trying to get there in a hurry, they will do it quite comfortably. Even had one on a remote and trackless trip of a few very difficult thousand kms that saw it tow very well - there was only a gnat's whisker of difference in fuel economy between it and my 4.2 when we were towing, and it certainly didn't have any difficulties with the towing due to its smaller engine. The ONLY difficulties we experienced were directly attributable to the lesser diff and tyres that the other vehicle had, even tho it was fitted with the very capable Nissan LSD & a set of popular & capable AT's. It was just that the very long & rough sandy creekbed crossing was too much for the diff/tyre combination and we ended up needing to tow with the Detroit/STT equiped vehicle to haul the trailer thru. Not the sort of difficulty you'll encounter in most 4WD adventures!

I'd be very happy to have a well driven GQ/GU 2.8 Patrol towing up to the 3,500 kg max tagging along on any of our trips, and I'd expect that the driver/owner would be very happy with the fuel economy/performance of their vehicle. But, if you have more than about 150,000 km up on the vehicle, do factor the potential need for a clutch change into your finances, and remember that the flywheel may need some cleaning up as well! (but that's probly pretty applicable to any vehicle, isn't it?!)

Cheers!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

GQpete
Been here a while

Unread post by GQpete » August 4th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Great info Peter, I have a RB30 would you think it would perform similar to the 2.8 when towing? I would not expect the fuel economy to be anywhere near the diesal I was just interested in the towing performance. The reason for this questions is that I am considering upgrading the Jayco Camper to a pop top or van which will weigh more than the camper and our trips are already fairly slow which is fine, but would prefer them not to be much slower than they already are. Had new heavy duty clutch installed about 3 mths ago.

Cheers
91 GQ ST 3.0 RB30
[b][font=Arial Black][color=black]TOMORROW IS NEVER GUARANTEED[/color][/font][/b]

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 4th, 2008, 3:56 pm

Since the final drive gearing on the RB3.0 and the TD2.8 have been specifically matched to the engines torque so that it will keep the vehicle pulling when needed, supposedly giving them the best fit of useable power and torque for the designed use of each engine in that vehicle, I'd expect that the RB3.0 would behave pretty much the same as the TD2.8, altho probly you'd need a little less clutch to get moving, 'cos the TD2.8 is notoriously gutless under the turbo! That's one of the reasons that lots of people complain about that engine smoking, they slip the clutch and stomp the loud pedal in an effort to get going from revs below the turbo, and it just won't work like that - it simply bogs down, overfuels, and the driver clutch slips until the turbo catches up and the smoke drops off as the engine starts to pull! I wouldn't think the RB3.0 would have the same problem, being petrol and all?! (& no turbo!) But the HD clutch certainly won't hurt!

And I do reckon that if the van/camper is below the towing limit for the Patrol, then it'll pull it OK, albeit possibly fairly slowly. That said, I haven't seen a Patrol that's ended up towing a legal weight with an average speed much less than 80 kph, so they are still pretty reasonable at pulling the load, just not 4.8 petrol fast (nor as thirsty!) Sure the odd steep or long hill might knock it back to third or even second gear, but it won't be every hill, and the vast bulk of Australia is reasonably flat anyhow! ;)

So yeah, an RB3.0 Patrol I think would be an orright albeit a fairly slow tow vehicle with a sensitive driver, but given the versatility and capacity of the vehicle for other things and for loads of cargo or people, they aren't a bad option or a poor buy at all. And if you've already got one, you'd need to be sold pretty hard on the potential benefits of any replacement vehicles before considering a sale - I don't think anything much less than a TD4.2 Patrol would make such a good overall towing package, but they'll manage well for a while, & longer with care!

Use it and Enjoy it!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Andrew8683
Avid Poster

Unread post by Andrew8683 » August 4th, 2008, 10:56 pm

thanks pete ,

Mate i reckon ssssssllllllllloooooowwwwwww would be a understatment

But like you say , once that turbo spools up it ***** all over a standard TD42 and thats from my own experence :\

mmmmm nothing like the smell of a burning clutch in the morning
The boat anchor RD28T

GQpete
Been here a while

Unread post by GQpete » August 5th, 2008, 2:52 pm

Pete, thanks and yes I could not be convinced to change the truck at all, mine is in excellent condition besides the fact that I have pumped $8k into in the last 12 months there is no way a change could be financially beneficial to me. It is a comfortable ride with or without the van in tow and to date I have not been stuck anywhere. Yes, I know I have not been trying hard enough if I have not yet been bogged but I usually have the wife and two boys with me, so I can't be too adventurous.

I must say though the level of knowledge I have gained by just being part of the this website is fantastic, thanks.
91 GQ ST 3.0 RB30
[b][font=Arial Black][color=black]TOMORROW IS NEVER GUARANTEED[/color][/font][/b]

bmcarter
I'm new, be nice!

Re: GQ towing capacity

Unread post by bmcarter » March 19th, 2018, 11:35 am

Directed at the admin Peter Aawen we have a Nissan patrol 91 TD42 with a Haymen Reece towbar rated at 3500 kg and looking at towing a caravan at 3300 kg but having difficulties finding any concrete information saying that is possible I have read your post saying it can tow to 3500kg braked and just wondering where you have gotten this information from and wondering if we can get that information saying that. Cheers

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 19th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Nissan Australia published those weight limits waaaay back in the mid-late 90's bm, altho with your '91 model, your glovebox manual might still show the lower 2500kg max towing with a braked trailer that applied to the earlier vehicles until the upgrade was published?! They did issue stickers showing the upgraded limit to go in the glovebox manuals of earlier vehicles, but I suspect a whole lot of manuals never got to see those stickers!! Still, that lower limit was upgraded for all GQ's by Nissan Australia to 3500kg as mentioned, and I expect you could get that info from your local Nissan Dealer or maybe source a copy of that notice from Nissan Aust direct, if not off their website &/or the internet! :thumb:

However, it might still pay to check with your local authorities, as the National rules for towing braked trailers have changed since then; most jurisdictions these days only allow up to 2500 kg on over-ride brakes or normal electrical brakes, and for anything over that (up to your vehicle's max towing limit) they require 'break away' elec brakes that will automatically apply and then maintain the brakes in their 'on' condition for a set time after any break away or failure of the normal braking system. So it sounds like you might need the more expensive 'Break-away' braking system & a coupling to go with it if you want to tow 3300kgs. :o

Good Luck ;)

Ps: SOME (but for some odd reason, not ALL!) GQ Patrols had their GCM stamped on their compliance plate (it didn't become commonplace or required until '98 tho!) So it might be worth looking for that; or for a Blue Upgrade plate that should have been affixed if your Vehicle was Engineered for any upgrade/mod. But I don't believe Nissan Aust ever issued upgraded compliance plates, just the notice....

bmcarter
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by bmcarter » March 19th, 2018, 2:36 pm

Thank you so much Peter for all that info very helpful we do have a blue sticker in our glove box but so very worn you can’t read a thing on it but I will definitely look into all the other details you just gave me. Did go into Nissan but must say our local Nissan dealer had absolutely no idea at all they tried telling us that it should be on our rego sticker it’s not. And then they tried looking on google and still couldn’t find anything. But thank you very much for the speedy reply and the answers

Return to “General Nissan”