D40 navara tech repairs & mods

For the Nissan nuts
d40.navara
Been here a while

D40 navara tech repairs & mods

Unread post by d40.navara » April 19th, 2008, 4:03 pm

Hi I have started this thread to assist others repair or modify d40 navara's if we add details of repairs and mods we can all prepare and repair with ease.

This is not meant to be a how to do it step by step,just tips and info to help others.

e.g. my v6 had a very noisy alternator due to being low on the motor and lots of 4x4ing in mud.

To remove took 45min
best to remove radiator shroud and fan then it’s easy, also a 3/8 breaker bar fits well in auto belt tensioner

to replace bearings 30min
hold stator in vice to remove pulley don’t hold pulley in vice or you will damage it

to re fit 60min reverse above and re check all is tight and aligned

bearing numbers
refer to diag posted below
number 5 = B10-50D Most bearing suppliers had in stock
number 2 = 63032RSCM (Most auto elects stock) bearing supplies in stock

IF IT’S UNBREAKABLE IT’S UNDERPOWERED!

d40.navara
Been here a while

Strut Spacer Warning !!!

Unread post by d40.navara » April 21st, 2008, 6:15 pm

below are some pics of 50mm spacers i made which caused my front struts to bend as i didnt relocate the bumpstops.:crazy:
be carefull if you have added ebay spacers it will cause same problem.

In my opinion your best bet for all navara suspension would be to call cal offroad on 0264564100 very experienced and offer top support and advice plus a better price,best i could find after ringing all major 4x4 shops looking for info they had it all on the shelf.

Gib009
Avid Poster

Unread post by Gib009 » April 21st, 2008, 6:37 pm

Um.. 50mm strut spacers doesnt give 50mm lift. our suspension works on a leverage ratio so to gain 50mm of lift you will only need say a 30mm spacer. Ive got spacers on mine and i got a total of 2.5inch of lift and the spacer was way smaller than that

d40.navara
Been here a while

Unread post by d40.navara » April 21st, 2008, 7:02 pm

navara009 wrote:Um.. 50mm strut spacers doesnt give 50mm lift. our suspension works on a leverage ratio so to gain 50mm of lift you will only need say a 30mm spacer. Ive got spacers on mine and i got a total of 2.5inch of lift and the spacer was way smaller than that

I agree but i had to allow for spring sag as i have a bullbar and winch hanging out front which made it hit on my driveway!!(that sucked bigtime)

if you have 30mm spacers i suggest you adjust your bumpstops to suit or when you bottom out the strut will take all the load untill it bends or snaps

test it ! remove your strut and then take spring off and reinstall (without spring)
then compress suspension up all the way i doubt it will hit the bump stop.
it will probly miss it about 1/2 to 3/4 the width of you spacer.

i have tested mine after bending front strut and found as above.

lazy fix is to pack bump stop untill it hits 15mm before strut is full compressed.

IF IN DOUBT RING YOUR LOCAL 4X4 MECHANIC BEFORE ITS BENT OR YOU BREAK IT

no insurance will cover above issue if it causes you to crash.

I hope this helps others from making the same mistake i did.
sorry if this is long winded howerver i think it is very dangerous if overlooked.

4wdriven
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by 4wdriven » April 27th, 2008, 1:22 pm

Thanks for bringing that to my attention d40.navara thats good to know. I have fitted a snake racing 35mm front spacer to my d40. So when you say cal offroad had it all on the shelf do you mean that they have bigger bumpstops to replace the originals? My wife has the car and wont be back until Wednesday so I cant go out and have a look at the moment but is it a big job to replace? Thanks mate
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

d40.navara
Been here a while

Unread post by d40.navara » April 27th, 2008, 10:55 pm

To fit "larger" bump stops is easy less than 30 min depending on wich type you get you can get larger rubber ones which just bolt in place of standard ones or you can get a bracket type like the calmini one which lowers the contact patch for the bump stop.
I made a spacer which the original one bolts to and the spacer bolts to the A arm.

basically its easy.
most 4x4 shops should be able to help you if needed.
I just found caloffroad to be very knowlegable in regards to the problems faced with lifting a nav and keen to help do it your self types like me.
everything i needed was shiped same day cause they know what we all will need when our struts bend and fail.

d40.navara
Been here a while

Unread post by d40.navara » July 7th, 2008, 9:10 pm

MY latest adventures have caused the front oil seal around the drive shaft to the front diff to leak transfer case oil.

its a very simple job to replace once you finally get the right part number from nissan it took three goes to get it right

The correct part number for the front shaft seal in transfer case is 33216-7S110 TRANSFER FRONT SEAL (DRIVE SHAFT) $13.40

Chippy-D40
Here and there

Unread post by Chippy-D40 » July 10th, 2008, 7:24 pm

Great info, this should be a sticky so it can be updated and easily seen.

d40.navara
Been here a while

Unread post by d40.navara » July 14th, 2008, 6:51 pm

I hope it helps!
chippy-D40 thats a nice accedental loss of traction on private property!!!

Chippy-D40
Here and there

Unread post by Chippy-D40 » July 14th, 2008, 8:01 pm

Hehehe thanks, it was at Heathcote race way, my drag car was getting a new engine so i raced the tow car. Ran 18.3 second passes, won the DYO class and did better burnouts than FPV V8's in an auto diesel, didn't they love that :D

d40.navara
Been here a while

Unread post by d40.navara » September 5th, 2008, 8:20 pm

just letting you know ARB rear locker is out got mine today fitting it this weekend !!!

d40.navara
Been here a while

Unread post by d40.navara » December 22nd, 2008, 7:25 am

Latest thing to fail is tailshaft universal joints i priced nissan for a laugh they wanted $155 each and are not greaseable .

I removed and measured and found greaseable ones in stock at my local bearing supplyer for $33 each

The part is RUJ 3002 i think the brand is hardy splicer or somthing similar.

They fit the 07 petrol manual i would assume they would fit all d40's though

navman_brent
Been here a while

Unread post by navman_brent » December 22nd, 2008, 4:41 pm

i had the same problem, the uni joint on the tailshaft went and i got replaced under warranty a whole new tailshaft and uni joints. Also i had a leaking front driveshaft on the transfer case once they fitted the new tailshaft.

d40.navara you got the locker in yet?
my shed.....

[url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/index.php?id=5080&im=1[/url]

d40.navara
Been here a while

Unread post by d40.navara » December 22nd, 2008, 9:01 pm

Yeah the air locker is in, i have almost finnished prg lift kit and rear suspension lift but i still havent worked out how thick to make the tail shaft spacer i still need to take some more measurements and fit new ute body as the handbrake reversed into a big steel bin and then a power pole .
I hope to have it completed mid jan fingers crossed.

d40.navara
Been here a while

Unread post by d40.navara » March 17th, 2009, 7:49 am

Here is the PRG lift Installed and on first off road trip!!! a dirt road at that .

Return to “General Nissan”