View topic - gu ute over heating.....

gu ute over heating.....

For the Nissan nuts
Here and there

gu ute over heating.....

Got a 06 gu ute, 32,000 ks. 3 inch exhaust, im thinking that the exhaust is making it over heat, its ok when the ute is empty, put on a load and start doing some hills and the temp goes right up, any thoughts would be appreciated.............

Unread postby sunny jim » December 2nd, 2007, 4:27 pm

Part of the furniture

Other than the exhaust has any work been done engine/fuel wise? Has any turbo work been done? Do you have lift etc....?

I would think that the 3" exhaust would help the exhaust gas and hence engine temp exit faster. The exhaust could just be a coincidence and have nothing to do with the problem too.
If other work has been done (or maybe just the exhaust itself, although unlikely) then it may be 'out of tune' and could be in need of a dyno run and tune.
If the tune is out then the exhaust temps can get dangerously high (more so under load) and this can have an imediate affect on you engine temp.

I found on my GQ that the 3" body lift opened up an area under the radiator that allowed air to get under and behind the radiator therfore restricting the flow through the radiator.

Other problems could be a blockage in the radiator or a thermostat. It could have grass seeds or similar blocking the air through the radiator.

Just a few ideas and somewhere to start looking.

Cheers

PP
You can only work with the tool God gave you.:D

Unread postby Patrolling Paddy » December 2nd, 2007, 5:15 pm

Here and there

Thanks pp, yep has a 3 inch lift and had some fuel work done aswell, i have noticed that the radiator is still a bit clogged with mud, tried a few times to get it all out but not 100% successful, i would not have thought that the small amount of mud left in there would make a difference but maybe it does. may have to take the radiator out to clean it...

Unread postby sunny jim » December 3rd, 2007, 8:23 am

Part of the furniture

Taking the radiator out is not a huge mission and it may only look a little blocked but could be worse than it looks. Don't forget to clean out the A/C condensor while you have access with the radiator out.
The fuel work that you have done, was it done by professionals and correctly tuned to maintailn exhaust temps? If not what have you had done and why?
The suspension lift alone will not cause overheating however it can add strain to an already struggling cooling system, with the little extra wind resistance. In my case it was the body lift that opened up the area and hadn't been an issue till I got home and summer hit.

I would be buying some new coolant, drop yours and remove the radiator. Carefully wash the mud out (don't damage the core's fins) and back flush the radiator from the bottom too while your at it. wash the mud from the A/C condensor too. Re-install the radiator, top up with new coolant and see how it goes. That would be the cheapest place to start.
If you are still having trouble, then I would be taking it in for a dyno tune to get those exhaust temps right (it can kill pistons if it gets too hot).

Good luck and keep us informed'

PP

Unread postby Patrolling Paddy » December 3rd, 2007, 12:52 pm

Here and there

Booked it in to have the radiator cleaned tommorow, only $60.00 , to busy to do it myself.... pp coming up your way in a few months, leave for trip around oz in 12 days

Unread postby sunny jim » December 3rd, 2007, 2:55 pm

Part of the furniture

Will you have mobile internet??? Drop a line and we might be able to take you to a couple of spots if your in the area for a few days or something.

$60 sound pretty good I spose, especially if that fixes it.

PP

Unread postby Patrolling Paddy » December 3rd, 2007, 4:03 pm

Avid Poster

My old girl got plenty hot too this weekend gone. Was following one of them grouse Chrysler 300 gangster car thingo's at about 115-120 kph through the hills, and the gauge got over 3/4's. Didn't seemt to matter if I was in 4th or 5th. Might have to check the radiator and condensor, as I haven't had em out for yonks. I've got the big radiator too. Was thinking about filling it with a high glycol solution as it has better heat transfer, and a higher boiling point.

Best get a dyno done too I spose, but it doesn't run rich...

Unread postby TonyH » December 3rd, 2007, 4:31 pm

Avid Poster

Its an old design motor with crappy cooling jackets through the block.

You're probably never going to fix it properly. Best to live with it - add an aftermarket temp gauge as you can't trust the factory gauge in the slightest. You can drive one all day long at 110deg C water temp without an issue - as long as the water doesnt boil.

Unread postby Yom » December 3rd, 2007, 4:37 pm

Avid Poster

Yeah? I'd believe you, but, they don't all do it.

Unread postby TonyH » December 3rd, 2007, 4:39 pm

Been here a while

IMO it’s got to do with the Water Flow throe the Block on the 4.2 diesel, all the ones I have seen all get a bit hot under the collar when pushed hard it's evident when towing at speed or holding speed up hill even lugging in soft sand, They don’t necessarily overheat, well they might if you keep the boot into it, but if you back off the temp drop’s back down.

Unread postby Green X » December 3rd, 2007, 4:42 pm

Part of the furniture

I was having trouble with mine but after the custom radiator to fill the hole the body lift created I haven't had a problem, AND I live in the Pilbara where summer see's most days above 40degC for most of the daylight hours.
I have also removed the A/C condensor, not for this reason but it wasn't working anyway, and this also makes a difference to air flow through the radiator.

PP

Unread postby Patrolling Paddy » December 3rd, 2007, 5:58 pm

Here and there

Patrolling Paddy wrote:Will you have mobile internet??? Drop a line and we might be able to take you to a couple of spots if your in the area for a few days or something.

$60 sound pretty good I spose, especially if that fixes it.

PP
Yep will have mobile internet, so will drop you a line when in the area.. will also report back with how the radiator clean and flush went.............. cheers for now.....

Unread postby sunny jim » December 3rd, 2007, 8:08 pm

Here and there

i have heard by fitting the radiator out of the 4.8 can help a lot

Unread postby AzZa B » December 3rd, 2007, 8:37 pm

Return to General Nissan