GQ TI Factory diff locks?

For the Nissan nuts
Gazza78
I'm new, be nice!

GQ TI Factory diff locks?

Unread post by Gazza78 » July 5th, 2007, 9:06 am

I'm thinking of getting a late model gq. Have only found out recently some models come with factory diff locks. Any thoughts on the reliability and general pro's or cons with this set up?

Off road heaven
Been here a while

Unread post by Off road heaven » July 5th, 2007, 9:30 am

I've got a 89 GQ, no problems with the diff lock as yet. Although they are a little slow engaging and disengaging.

JemmyBubbles
Getting to know the place

Unread post by JemmyBubbles » July 5th, 2007, 5:05 pm

Loads of information on outers...

Heres a PM I sent a bloke regarding it....The problems with it engaging/disengaging are due to the factory solenoids, this is overcome with an aftermarket solenoid/valve...

No worries mate...

I'll get some photos as soon as I can... camera batteries etc..

Quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From a previous Thread:

"The valve was bought from Pneutec 03 9879 6499 in Ringwood, Vic
Phone number is 03 9879 6499 ask for Damian
Part number is 45A-GCI-DDBA-13A
You have to plumb it up backwards, ie vacuum from engine to the exhaust port of the valve, A and B ports to the diff lock actuator and a silencer / filter on the pressure port to keep thr crap out. "

It did cost about 110 dollars delivered but is the best thing you can do for the factory locker...

I followed this guys advice and purchased one after I had fitted a factory locker rear end in place of my drum rear. The locker basically engages instantaneously and likewise when disengaging. Mainly due to the exhaust port ie when switching from on to off or vice versa vaccuum in the opposing line is vented. This stop's the effect of having two of the lines sucking for supremecy.... if ya get me...

You will understand when you get the thing. How it needs to be wired up.
I still haven't come up with a decent way of mounting this thing on the firewall. Soooo.....

The factory solenoids are shite. These are THE replacement....

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/viewtopic.php?t=33706

Ok so basically you replaced the factory solenoid with that gizmo, they help it to work much quicker. Also I got a bashplate fabbed up for the actuator on the diff - I got Glenn Binskin to do mine... Will try and get some pic's

The vaccuum takes a little time to do its thing with the shift fork. You have to be nice to these things and not go engaging them at any greed speed or while turning hard. I wouldn't do that with an ARB either it's kind of common sense.

If I know I am coming up to a difficult section I generaly stop, flick the switch wait a few seconds then drive forward - the thing activates. If I am turning it off I do the same thing.. stop, flick it on, wait, drive off...

Sure it doesn't activate/deactivate instantly and we're talking like 5 - 10 secs max. But for me I got a selectable bulletproof locker and disc brakes for $800, so I am happy Image

Cheers,

Jeremy

ps: Get one of those solenoids.

sudso
Need to get out more

Unread post by sudso » July 5th, 2007, 10:27 pm

GQ factory lockers are good except for the slownoids as said.
The one on mine that unlocks doesn't work at all so I have to swap the vac hoses over to unlock.

Are the lockers good? You bet, probably tougher than any other air locker, being a Nissan :D
I love terra firma - the less firma the more terra

nissan_4ever
Been here a while

Unread post by nissan_4ever » July 8th, 2007, 12:56 pm

hey i got a 92 ti with leather how calm mine dont have the lockers
[align=center][color="Red"][u]Where in the nursery rhyme does it say Humpty Dumpty is an egg?[/u][/color][/align]

sudso
Need to get out more

Unread post by sudso » July 8th, 2007, 3:17 pm

nissan_4ever wrote:hey i got a 92 ti with leather how calm mine dont have the lockers
Factory option on any model.

Muckinhell
Need to get out more

Unread post by Muckinhell » July 8th, 2007, 4:32 pm

I thought also they only had option of rear locker no front option?
[align=center](80 series Poverty pack 1HZ TDI.)[/align]

sudso
Need to get out more

Unread post by sudso » July 8th, 2007, 6:21 pm

Muckinhell wrote:I thought also they only had option of rear locker no front option?
Yep, unforunately:cry:

Mav_SWB
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Mav_SWB » July 11th, 2007, 7:09 pm

The previous owner of my SWB replaced the solenoids with one's from an A/C compressor, He got them for free as they are not always used. It is quick to engage and have had no problems engaging or disengaging. It's quicker then the air-locker in the front cause I don't have to wait for the compressor. I have read it is advised to go easy when engaging but that is just common sense.

Return to “General Nissan”