Aftermarket cruise control (GU 4.2D)

For the Nissan nuts
Maineiac
Been here a while

Aftermarket cruise control (GU 4.2D)

Unread post by Maineiac » July 4th, 2007, 4:25 pm

I'm looking at installing an aftermarket cruise control in my GU 4.2TD. Anyone done it and know of any decent brands. It's manual so and does that make a difference in brand?
2000 GU 4.2TD .

toy yoda

Unread post by toy yoda » July 4th, 2007, 4:34 pm

I have used the command auto cruise avail at super cheap amongst others for abou $189. i have fitted heaps and used the (still have one on the 60) the units have improved with time too.

the system has a brake pedal system shut off (connected to brake light switch), but in an manual you have 2 choices
1. wire up as supplied but gave to remember to turn system off when you need to hit the clutch i tries that once a long time ago and hard to remember when you have been cruising in 5th for 5hours and you go to drop a gear to pull into a servo and the poor truck revs its ring off.
2. There is switch $30 ish (similar to brake light switch) which connects to the clutch and works the same way. some people chuck a cheaper brake light switch in also, this works fine except that when you depress the clutch the brake lights will activate ( the proper switch had a 1way diode preventing the power being sent back to the brake lights.

Good Luck
Yoda
________________________www.loveday4x4adventures.com________________________
thanks to... APM Radiators.. DRW automatics..Boss Racing Diffs..Sprint Auto Parts.. Bob Jane Marion..Noarlunga refrigeration..J&S Suspension (et4wd)..Heinrich Performance Dyno..

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 4th, 2007, 5:38 pm

There are units advertised in the mag that have special manual functions that allow you to change gears without loosing the cruise setting, AND they also give you up to 3 (or is it 4) pre-set speed settings, to save your most common settings and make it easier to revert to 60, 80, 100 etc. They are good & worth the $$$, just can't remember the name, Autron or summat simlar??! Chekc 'em out!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Maineiac
Been here a while

Unread post by Maineiac » July 5th, 2007, 4:37 pm

Thanks to both of you.
2000 GU 4.2TD .

TOPNDR
Been here a while

Unread post by TOPNDR » July 5th, 2007, 11:11 pm

Maineiac

I have the Autron Auscruise fitted to my GUIV (ZD30 manual), see the following link, Autron Electronics Pty Ltd

Some two years ago when I had it fitted I didn't like the look of the Autron switch so paid for a genuine Nissan cruise control switch, which fits in between the steering wheel spokes on the RHS.

I've also had the Autron mod allowing gear changes without disengaging the CC activated. It works reasonably well as long as one is not travelling too fast. For example changing from 4th to 5th at 80 klicks is ok, but changing down a gear doesn't work too well and there is a tendancy to rev high in the down change scenario.

The CC will remember the last speed held, even after the engine has been turned off and then restarted. There is an option which allows for a second switch to be fitted to the LHS of the steering wheel, and this then allows three preset speeds to be selected at the push of a button.

My only complaint, and I've heard others complain similarly, is that the CC doesn't cope with hills too well. The unit has a tendancy to overspeed once a hill has been crested. I've gained 30klicks going down the hill, under power, before the CC would back off and allow the speed to reduce. I'm sure that I've received at least one speeding camera fine from this. I now disengage the CC either going up the hill or approaching the crest. Autron advised me that if I changed down a gear before going up the hill the problem would be resolved. I have not found this information to be correct.
2009 VX TTD LC200, [color=Blue]suitably blinged. Quantum hybrid super camper following.[/color] :waycool:

Maineiac
Been here a while

Unread post by Maineiac » July 6th, 2007, 3:06 pm

Thanks
2000 GU 4.2TD .

TazMAV
Avid Poster

Rockcrawler Springs for MQ

Unread post by TazMAV » July 6th, 2007, 5:15 pm

Has anyone had anything to do with rockcrawler springs? I am thinking about getting a set for the back of my bus, apparently they come in heavy duty for load carrying so that would be good for me as I have a 160lt tank. Just wanting to know if there are any bad points about them.

Return to “General Nissan”