D40 Navara front susp

For the Nissan nuts
Tomax
Been here a while

D40 Navara front susp

Unread post by Tomax » July 1st, 2007, 11:33 pm

One of my sons has just purchased a diesel D40 Navara dual cab and will be doing a lot of what I've been doing for the last 40 odd years out in the great Australian deserts, often on some pretty rough tracks with a full load on board. With no experience with vehicles such as the Navara, we're wondering whether the front end needs beefing up, and would welcome all constructive advice on this matter. It will have a steel bullbar fitted.
Thanks.

01Rod
Been here a while

Unread post by 01Rod » July 2nd, 2007, 8:27 am

watch the latest DVD that came with the mag..
you might need some more protection..

Rod

Tomax
Been here a while

Unread post by Tomax » July 2nd, 2007, 3:55 pm

Thanks. I'll have a look.
Any other advice from anyone?

Big Boots
Need to get out more

Unread post by Big Boots » July 2nd, 2007, 4:05 pm

The dvd covers it pretty well.
[url=http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f97/perfectpass05/2007%20Finke%20race%20-%20the%20long%20way%20around/?start=0]2007 Finke Desert race and Simpson Desert[/url]
[url=http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f97/perfectpass05/2007%20Gulf%20Trip/]2007 Gulf Trip[/url]

navara-au
Here and there

Unread post by navara-au » July 3rd, 2007, 9:03 pm

Hey Tommax
I installed EFS suspension on mine front and rear springs and shocks. The standard suspension is too light and low for any serious off roading. The EFS lifted the truck up 2". Under body skid plates are a good idea too but unfortunately the only one that are available right now (TJM) dont do enough to protect the front diff and transfer case.
Ive had my D40 for 18 mths and unlike the 4x4 magazine test team I havent managed to break anything....mustn't been trying hard enough.

Try the U.S.A. forum Club Frontier - Nissan Frontier Forum? they call Navaras Frontiers in the states. You'll get a better idea whats available on that site.

Tomax
Been here a while

Unread post by Tomax » July 6th, 2007, 11:37 am

Thanks navara-au. I watched the DVD which overall wasn't very informative at all, although it did point out the need for underbody protection on the Navara. Although, for obvious reasons, we never hammer our vehicles anything like they appeared to in the DVD, aftermarket underbody protection might be the go for the Navara, even if only for peace of mind.

EFS suspension? Cost? Availability in Australia?

navara-au
Here and there

Unread post by navara-au » July 6th, 2007, 6:37 pm

EFS are part of Carol springs in Brisbane, here's a link Welcome to EFS

There are a about a dozen different companies making up graded suspension for the D40 ( TJM, ARB, Ironman, Dobinsons etc...).

EFS have a 3 year /100k warranty and cost about $1400 for the full kit, springs and shocks, including fitting. Had them for about 1 year now and they havent sagged at all and I carry 600kg of weight for work 99% of the time.

You need to work out what weight your going to carry front and rear and get springs to match. Most brands will have 2-3 different load ratings.

If you have any more Navara specific questions try that Frontier link I gave in the first post. Quite a few Aussies use that forum for Navara stuff.

Tomax
Been here a while

Unread post by Tomax » July 6th, 2007, 7:32 pm

Thanks again navara-au. Have you given the shock absorbers a prolonged work-out on heavy corrugations at all? These have always been the big test for our vehicles over many years (I've seen many fail and have had a few go myself) and so I'm wondering how the EFS shocks would stand up under such conditions.

clinton l
Part of the furniture

Unread post by clinton l » July 6th, 2007, 7:35 pm

efs make good shocks, they should stand up to the punishment. oh and you be better of making you own bash plate to cover the delicate bits.
:D THE BONDAGE LOVING HILUX PILOT:D

navara-au
Here and there

Unread post by navara-au » July 7th, 2007, 8:31 am

No I havent.
They do handle the corrigations quite well but I havent done any prolonged driving on them.

Twin tube shocks are always going to run hotter than mono tubes. I'm not sure if there are any mono tube shocks (like Bilstiens and Koni's) avalable here yet.

Tomax
Been here a while

Unread post by Tomax » July 7th, 2007, 3:37 pm

Yep, agree clinton 1. It'll take me back to my rallying days during the 70's and 80's when we used to make a lot of our own stuff, including bash plates!
Thanks navara-au.I've tried various shocks over the years, but have always come back to Konis. I'll certainly be checking whether they're available for the D40.

Tomax
Been here a while

Unread post by Tomax » July 9th, 2007, 9:29 am

navara-au.....another question. Do you think a 2" lift in the front end is OK as far as drive shaft/CV angles are concerned? Just wondering about longevity.
Thanks.

navara-au
Here and there

Unread post by navara-au » July 9th, 2007, 9:47 pm

In the states most of the blokes doing lifts are going 2.5" or higher and I havent heard of any one wearing out there cv's yet.

I have a v6 (all alloy and 50 kg lighter than the diesel) and no bull bar, so the springs lifted mine up to 55mm's. I believe with a diesel and a bull bar they only come up to 40 mm on the front using the heavy duty coils. The height will vary depending on what brand you get. ARB (OME) will only lift about 1" at the front.
The thing is the standard height and suspension is pretty useless for off roading. Yes the cv's will probably wear faster, but I dont think it would be significant.

On the rear I used heavy duty leafs, because I carry a constant load of 600 kg. If I do un load the back it lifts up about 3" higher than standard. While the uni joints dont bind they must be close and I have already had the rear diff oil seal replaced. So I would recomend the medium duty rear spings which should just be a good height.

I think if you stay within the 2" mark you should be right, but like everything its a compromise.

EFS and OME source there front coils from King Springs to there specifications and Kings will custom make you a set if need be.

BTW you may need to get longer rear brake hoses ( i had to by 3") because of the extra lift and the longer travel the shocks will give you. The front will be fine.

Tomax
Been here a while

Unread post by Tomax » July 10th, 2007, 9:17 am

Thanks again Navara-au. Really helpful advice.

Return to “General Nissan”