Re-inforcing/stengthening GQ/GU diff housings

For the Nissan nuts
Patrolling Paddy
Part of the furniture

Re-inforcing/stengthening GQ/GU diff housings

Unread post by Patrolling Paddy » July 1st, 2007, 4:16 pm

As the title says,
I have a GQ with GU diffs and I NEED to strengthen them up, I just recently had to get them both straightened, and I haven't been doing jumps either.
What I'm after is some pics of others that have been done successfully.
I am a fitter by trade and have a few boily mates to help as well so skills is not a prob but I/we have not attempted this before and I would like to get it right the first time.

Cheers

PP

beej
Avid Poster

Won't win a beauty pageant, but...

Unread post by beej » July 1st, 2007, 11:14 pm

Whilst it wouldn't need to be as much as this (my a-frame bolts to this) if it's the way you go then you might try using some decent wall thickness box tube and building some bomb proofing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[size=75][b]What is the largest shackle you can buy, and how many mountain goats can you attach to it?[/b][/size]

beej
Avid Poster

Unread post by beej » July 1st, 2007, 11:27 pm

ALSO IMPORTANT: Get someone who knows a bit about welding to do it - so you don't weld it permanently into a nice banana shape.
[size=75][b]What is the largest shackle you can buy, and how many mountain goats can you attach to it?[/b][/size]

Patrolling Paddy
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Patrolling Paddy » July 2nd, 2007, 12:30 am

I was thinking about something along those lines but leaving the top almost flush with the top of the housing. The welding bit is all cool, my boily mate is a wiz.

Also I was chasing some GQ/GU specific for front & rear.

Cheers

PP

Z()LTAN
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Z()LTAN » July 2nd, 2007, 1:17 am

make sure you back step and side step every weld, at least a 4" back step anyway.

This will allow a even heating and cooling of the diff so it doesn't cool and bend like a banana like beej said.
www.Outlaws4x4.com

Z()LTAN
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Z()LTAN » July 2nd, 2007, 1:21 am

On smash250's front diff we only laminated it with 6mm plate on the bottom for clearance but on the top we put a 6mm wall box section in, we also put 8mm gussets on the top and bottom of the ball joints.
www.Outlaws4x4.com

Patrolling Paddy
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Patrolling Paddy » July 2nd, 2007, 11:32 am

Cheers Z()ltan
That shows me almost exactly what I was thinking.
I spose the next thing is, Did it work? Has he had any bent diff probs?

Have you got any pics of the rear?

Cheers

PP

sudso
Need to get out more

Unread post by sudso » July 2nd, 2007, 2:46 pm

Patrolling Paddy wrote:As the title says,
I have a GQ with GU diffs and I NEED to strengthen them up, I just recently had to get them both straightened, and I haven't been doing jumps either.
What I'm after is some pics of others that have been done successfully.
I am a fitter by trade and have a few boily mates to help as well so skills is not a prob but I/we have not attempted this before and I would like to get it right the first time.

Cheers

PP
Where exactly they bent? I suppose you mean front and rear diff housings by "both diffs"?

Usually they bend between the spring perches and the swivel hubs on the front, where the diameter is smaller.
I'm pretty sure the GU diff tubes are wider than a GQ from the spring perches to the swivel hubs, so more leverage in that "weak" spot.
I love terra firma - the less firma the more terra

Z()LTAN
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Z()LTAN » July 2nd, 2007, 7:56 pm

no problems at all, no pix for the rear sorry, its just the same realy, minus the ball joints lol
www.Outlaws4x4.com

Patrolling Paddy
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Patrolling Paddy » July 3rd, 2007, 1:14 am

sudso wrote:Where exactly they bent? I suppose you mean front and rear diff housings by "both diffs"?

Usually they bend between the spring perches and the swivel hubs on the front, where the diameter is smaller.
I'm pretty sure the GU diff tubes are wider than a GQ from the spring perches to the swivel hubs, so more leverage in that "weak" spot.

Yeah both front and rear. It was noticed by the strange tyre wear and then the wheel alingnment showed camber on the front and rear.
Where are they bent? Well not sure but the wheels were all leaning in to some degree, so somewhere in between, not obvious by eye exactly.
Both housings were secondhand and it appears that they may have come out of a wreck and staightened prior to me buying them unknowingly.
I have had them straightened but was informed that once straightened they tend to bend again.
I think the gussets and box section on the front and box section on the rear also with some 'laminating' on the bottom of both as well should do the trick.
Just wanted to see if I was heading down the right path before I spend the time and money.

Cheers

PP

Return to “General Nissan”