Loud squealing noise from belts/pulleys...

For the Nissan nuts
skid65
Here and there

Unread post by skid65 » December 25th, 2016, 6:43 am

I got lumbered with a ZD30 2 weeks ago with a zd30 engine, the guy told me the noise at the front of the engine was just the belt squealing and handed me a new belt. after replacing the belt and the tensioner pulley the noise stopped for about 30 minutes then started again. If I spray anything on the belt the noise stops or is reduced to almost stopped, It is embarrassing to drive, the squealing is so loud, if I'm lucky after the engine has warmed up the noise is almost gone when the engine is idling. I have an alternator here given to me when I bought a converted zd30 about 2 years ago, so am going to try swapping alternators around to see if that make a difference as the alternator on the car is a higher amp one with a clutch and the other one is a stock alternator with a solid pulley. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I started hating the car after owning it for an hour.... Please help, all ideas etc will be tried to stop the squealing...

skid65
Here and there

Unread post by skid65 » December 25th, 2016, 6:43 am

I got lumbered with a ZD30 2 weeks ago with a zd30 engine, the guy told me the noise at the front of the engine was just the belt squealing and handed me a new belt. after replacing the belt and the tensioner pulley the noise stopped for about 30 minutes then started again. If I spray anything on the belt the noise stops or is reduced to almost stopped, It is embarrassing to drive, the squealing is so loud, if I'm lucky after the engine has warmed up the noise is almost gone when the engine is idling. I have an alternator here given to me when I bought a converted zd30 about 2 years ago, so am going to try swapping alternators around to see if that make a difference as the alternator on the car is a higher amp one with a clutch and the other one is a stock alternator with a solid pulley. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I started hating the car after owning it for an hour.... Please help, all ideas etc will be tried to stop the squealing...

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Loud squealing noise from belts/pulleys...

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 25th, 2016, 9:46 am

Noises like that are generally belt or bearing noises, so you really need to check the condition of those before getting too far into it!! A new belt should have resolved any belt surface issues, but have you checked the belt tension is correct - too tight can be just as bad for squealing as too loose. It would've been a good idea to check every pulley & bearing for looseness & operation while the belt was off for replacement, so if you didn't do that you might need to drop the belt to check that everything spins freely & that there aren't any seized or seizing bearings in there!!

Another thing to look at is are the pulleys all aligned?? Just one pulley out of alignment by as little as 1mm could be pressing the belt into squealing - so try to get a clear view of each section if belt between pulleys & make sure that there are no mis-alignments. And don't forget that the noise could be coming from ANY rotating bits under the bonnet. Power steering pumps, alternators, water pumps, oil pumps, air con compressors, idler pulleys, tension pulleys - all of those can rotate & it could be any one of those (or anything else rotating) that's making your noise. Check all the drive belts, their tension, all the bearings, all the pulleys, and somewhere in there you'll find whatever it is!!

In the meantime, it might help to get some Belt Dressing - don't EVER spray WD40 or similar lubricants onto the belt drive surfaces, that can cause a glaze on the belt surface that will squeal like buggery until it's removed or worn off! Plain water isn't a bad thing to use if you want to check to see if it's the belt making the noise; but it won't get rid of that glazed surface, only light sandpaper or belt dressing is gonna do that!! And if the belt surface that runs in the pulley is glazed & cracking, it's new belt time! You may also need to use some very fine emery strip to clean the bearing surfaces of any V pulleys if the belt has been sprayed with WD40 or any silicone or lubricant type products, as the belts can transfer the glaze onto the pulley!!

Hope something in there helps. Good luck! :thumb:

And Here's wishing you a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year too! :D
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Loud squealing noise from belts/pulleys...

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 25th, 2016, 11:00 am

Ps: have you checked all the hoses & joins on the air intake & turbo?? I've run across a couple of 'small hi-output turbo motors' that had tiny leaks in their plumbing that made squealing noises very similar to awful belt noises..... so if all else fails... :ooh:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “General Nissan”