Will a GQ ute towbar fit leaf sprung GU ute?

For the Nissan nuts
Boxhead 71
Avid Poster

Will a GQ ute towbar fit leaf sprung GU ute?

Unread post by Boxhead 71 » August 9th, 2014, 7:44 pm

Just what the title says, boys and girls. Got a GU DX coil/leaf ute and want to swap the bloody pintle hook tow bar off it for a normal hitch receiver one. The stupid thing has a 50mm ball integrated into it but its about 8" higher than a coupling on any trailer I'm likely to tow.
I could probably find one at a wrecker or on Gumtree and if a GQ one fits it will increase my chances of getting one.
Not sure of the legalities of unbolting the pintle hook section and welding a normal hitch receiver on underneath. I'd get it done professionally and have it all braced and gusseted if I went that way.
Thanks. Chris.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Will a GQ ute towbar fit leaf sprung GU ute?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 9th, 2014, 8:38 pm

Technically, if you grind, drill, cut, or weld on a towbar then it's rating is no longer valid & that makes it (again technically) unroadworthy, even if it's done 'properly' by anyone.... :whyme: Not sure how that would stand up if you wanted to argue it in court, especially if a tow bar manufacturer did the mod work... I'm pretty sure they've been known to mod some previously rated tow bars to fit them onto vehicles & sell them as 'rated'!!

Anyhow, if you can get at the rear chassis rails on your Ute, then it shouldn't matter if the towbar you fit comes from a GQ ute or a GU ute, they have vitually identical chassis rails back there. I've swapped towbars from GQ's to GU's & back again before, so if you can find one that has the rating you desire & a hitch that fits your needs, it should fit the vehicle. Just be aware that some of the GQ's & GU's had different tow ratings, & therefore there could be different rated towbars out there, so make sure that you get one that has at least the same rating as your vehicle. Even if the towbar has a plate/sticker affixed that has a higher tow rating, the tow rating that applies is the rating assigned to the vehicle by Nissan or the applicable Aust/State Authorities re loading & towing, & while that's a lot better/clearer than it used to be.... :crazy:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Boxhead 71
Avid Poster

Unread post by Boxhead 71 » August 9th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Thanks Pete. The ute is actually an ex-Telstra job and during my web trolling trying to find info on this subject so as not to clutter this forum up, (like it's gunna help :rolleyes: ), apparently Telstra did a towing capacity upgrade from 3 ton to 3.5 or something like that. And that would explain the pintle hook fitment, too. ;)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 9th, 2014, 9:14 pm

Some of the TD42 GQ/GU's came from the factory with a 3,500 kg towing capacity, & that was without the pintle hook!! I suspect that Telstra just added the hook so that they could tow all their pintle eye equipped trailers behind the Patrols etc without needing to fit a different tow hitch - altho a GVM or GCM upgrade may have helped that too. When I got a GVM upgrade, they also allowed a GCM upgrade, so I could still tow the max 3,500 kgs, but apparently these days the Reg Authorities prefer to increase 1 of those at the expense of the other, ie if you ask for a larger GVM then you end up with a lesser tow limit to keep it all below the original GCM, or vice versa?!?

Regardless, you do need to be careful with tow ratings these days, there are quite a few different tow rating limits applicable to Patrols, mainly dependent upon which engine/trans combo your particular vehicle happens to be running, & that means that even if your tow bar placard/sticker says you have a 3,500 kgs limit, you can't exceed the vehicle tow limit if it's less than that - & the 3.0l GU's were somewhat less depending on the transmission.

Altho even that is now over-ridden by the need to have a full Break-away braking system fitted if the Total Trailer mass (loaded) exceeds 2,000 kgs, regardless of what the vehicle towing limit is!! :confused:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Boxhead 71
Avid Poster

Unread post by Boxhead 71 » August 9th, 2014, 11:30 pm

No worries. I'll check the owners handbook and the towbar spec plate and see what I've got, but I'm not too fussed about the extra towing capacity as most of my towing will be the 6 x 4 to the tip or carting a couple of motor bikes, or the camper which is rated for a bit over a ton.
Thanks very much.

Return to “General Nissan”