Want a small 4WD/SUV - Your take on X-trail vs Pathfinder?

For the Nissan nuts
Katala
I'm new, be nice!

Want a small 4WD/SUV - Your take on X-trail vs Pathfinder?

Unread post by Katala » April 10th, 2014, 12:41 pm

I'm looking for some advice, I'm an avid Nissan lover and wanting a 4wd/SUV to replace my R31 Skyline as where we live the roads are too rough for my car, my hubby as a GQ Patrol 4.2ltr diesel, so I am looking for something smaller just for driving to the nearest town (45mins away) to do shopping etc but also can handle the rougher roads and do long trips etc to family which is 3 1/2 hours away for example, not so much having to do 4wding but good to have if needed, our major concern is the GVM vs the engine size of the Xtrail but have also had some friends including a mechanic and tow truck owner tell me the gearboxes in pathfinders dont have the power and am looking for other peoples opinions/personal experiences with these two vehicles to help me decide which would be better for what I want it for. Thanks for any help you can give us.

halford
Getting to know the place

Re: Want a small 4WD/SUV - Your take on X-trail vs Pathfinde

Unread post by halford » May 21st, 2014, 1:01 pm

Im a nissan lover as well. I used to work for nissan as well. Both are great cars. With the pathfinder you would want to go diesel, as it is much better on fuel economy than its petrol v6 brother. Plenty of room, and caqn seat up too 7. Havent heard many bad things about them. Will admit I have never owned one, so never played with one over a long term period.

I did sell my in-laws an Auto X-trail in 07. they still have it 7 years later. They have used it to tow a 2 ton caravan all over the place. Its not the fastest when doing this, but has done it god knows how many times reliably, and never missed a beat. When not towing heavy loads, the engine has heaps of power and torque to get it going. I have seen it climb up rutted hills that you would think impossible for it, but did it no worries. Fuel wise, it is pretty good, i think around 10l/100km. But that will also come down to driving style.

Pathfinder is a proper 4wd with low range transfer case, where as the Xtrail has part time AWD that you can turn on and off on a dial on the dash.

hope that helps

nananut
Here and there

Re: Want a small 4WD/SUV - Your take on X-trail vs Pathfinde

Unread post by nananut » July 23rd, 2014, 7:16 pm

No low range on the new Pathfinder. The diesel X-trail has lots of power but it has its downsides if you don't know how to look after the newer diesels. I take mine offroad almost everywhere it can go obviously keeping in mind of the limitations of the car (aka no low range and low clearance). I've got over 100kg extra weight from stock and it handles like a dream. I have a feeling my exy enjoys the extra weight. There are mods out there if you are more serious about 4wd. Mine's been modded to what I want it to do which is touring. It is an interesting learning curve to 4wding if you are new to the scene with a softie but it's so worth it as you become a better driver. I know I have! Just drive it as softie and not a proper 4by and you won't have issues. Alot of people make that mistake of driving the exy like a proper 4by and wonder why it's not capable.
New: 2014 Ranger PX XLS 3.2 Manual Mods and accessories
Old: 2011 X-trail T31 TS Series 4 "Bossy" for mods

Return to “General Nissan”