Confused - What is wrong with the 3.0l Diesels?

For the Nissan nuts
team grandpa
I'm new, be nice!

Confused - What is wrong with the 3.0l Diesels?

Unread post by team grandpa » February 22nd, 2013, 6:55 pm

hello all
long time since a posted last,
i currently own a ford maverick td 42 wagon,thinking about buying an 06 gu 4.2 deisel st ute.
or a 2005- 2010 3ltr gu , every body tells me to say away from the 3ltr gu.
can somebody please explain in terms that are easy to understand what is wrong with the 3 ltr .
i have been told that the d/i motors turbo,intercoolers,clutch and fly wheel are all crap (there seems to be a lot for sale )
could some one tell me (a rough guess) cost on rebuilding d/i fuel pump and injectors if they are anything like toyota you would not touch the 3 ltr.
and any other hints on the 3 ltr
cheers
neil
team grandpa

aussiedingbat
Been here a while

Re: Confused - What is wrong with the 3.0l Diesels?

Unread post by aussiedingbat » February 22nd, 2013, 10:43 pm

my understanding of the 3ltr, is... it was poorly designed at first, too low an oil capacity and some issues with turbo over boosting caused complete failures of many early model engines (99-06) complete failure as in cracked heads, melted pistons... bad!!!...
nissan gradually improved the faults with the engine and each series was more reliable than the last... and there are proven mods to eliminate the risks with these engines, this mag did a huge write up on this a while back.
in short... if your getting a 3 ltr... aim closer to 2010, and if you get one pre 06... do your homework and get some preventative mods done.

Rattler2
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Rattler2 » February 11th, 2015, 1:34 pm

Hi can you tell me what preventative mods need doing I have a 2006 just had Factory Motor put in want to stop motor blowing again thanks love to hear your thoughts

SparkieKev
Been here a while

Unread post by SparkieKev » February 12th, 2015, 9:47 pm

NADS (nissan anti-detination system) google it mate or search the forums. Also the duo mass clutches are pretty weak and expensive to replace. Search this too if you like
Cheers
Supercharged 6.5L chev diesel GU wagon build thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138695

Return to “General Nissan”