How hard is flipping the rear tail shaft end for end?

For the Nissan nuts
daggs
Getting to know the place

How hard is flipping the rear tail shaft end for end?

Unread post by daggs » September 5th, 2012, 7:50 pm

I have a gq coil cab ute with a 4inch lift l have just taken off the large toolbox ,water tank and dual battery and now the tail shaft hits the cross member . How hard is it to rotate the tail shaft and do l have to undo the handbrake drum

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: How hard is flipping the rear tail shaft end for end?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 5th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Easy enough to do daggs, and NO I'm reasonably sure you don't have to undo the handbrake drum, but you do hafta take the front tailshaft uni joint off it! Mark the front and rear uni's AND what they connect onto with a centre punch, ie the drum up front and the pinion up the rear, and make sure that you mark the same side on each end so the tailshaft ends up in exactly the same position relative to each of them, but simply swapped end for end. If you do it right you won't need to turn anything anyway!

Just mark the same side & both the uni plus what it bolts to each end; undo the 4 bolts up the front; undo the 4 bolts up the rear; flip the tailshaft end for end; match the markings to their spots; bolt up the bolts the same way they came out, and away you go!

That should leave you with the narrow end of the tailshaft clearing the cross member, and the fatter end out where it can't hit anything on articulation.

The other thing to be aware of is that often if you've lifted the vehicle enough to warrant a flipped rear tailshaft, the front tailshaft will also touch the hump under the RH side of the Transfer case cross member where the mount bolts up. If it does, you'll either need to fit spacers between that cross member & the chassis rails (you can get kits & shouldn't just use any old washers!) or if you are handy with a grinder and welder, you could fit a half pipe to the mount where it touches and leave room for it to clear that way! ;)

Cheers
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

daggs

Unread post by daggs » September 5th, 2012, 8:58 pm

Thanks Peter I will try to do it this week cheers

daggs

Unread post by daggs » September 15th, 2012, 11:04 am

Thanks again for your help very easy just marked the bolts and tailshafts and flipped it over the bolts in the handbrake drum are captive so it was an easier job than l thought

Return to “General Nissan”