Hard to start & smoking 2.8l gu - help?

For the Nissan nuts
roscodunn78
Getting to know the place

Hard to start & smoking 2.8l gu - help?

Unread post by roscodunn78 » March 22nd, 2012, 6:52 pm

Hi guys my dads got a 99 gu patrol 2.8l, it his pride and joy and has only 80 000kms on the clock, about 6 months ago it began to get hard to start and he has to glow the motor two or three times for it to start without excesive winding over and extremly smokey on exceleration, so he took it into Nissan in Rockhampton and they said it was the glow plugs so he replaced them which did nothing, then a seal in the injector pump, still the same, then they fully rebuilt the injector pump and its still exactly the same, now he's out of pocket over $4000 and it hasnt improved at all, now they want to replace the injectors but seeing how Dads a pensioner he is understandibly hesitant to drop it off to them again, has anyone here had a similar problem or know someone who has any help would be greatly aprecciated

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Hard to start & smoking 2.8l gu - help?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 22nd, 2012, 8:23 pm

The sad news is rosco, that unless you or your dad can do some diagnosis, you are probly gonna hafta get someone to fix it for you. The first diagnosis of glow plugs was a good call for those symptoms, altho they probly could have confirmed if it was that before replacing them. The seal in the injector pump is a common problem that shows leaking diesel and won't go away but could get really bad quickly, so you just have no choice, that has to be done.

Still smoking, low power, & hard to start after all that does certainly suggest injectors OR it could still be a dud glow plug circuit. They can be a bit hard to diagnose but you should be able to if you can use a multi-meter and you've got access to a workshop manual, a Gregory's or even a Nissan OE book should have the diagnosis process in there laid out in a step by step manner. If you haven't got one they usually cost less than about $50 from Autopro or Supercheap etc, altho you may need to get a Nissan Diesel manual of the right age, just make sure you get one with the 2.8 Supplement in it!

And if you do that & the glow circuit shows to be working, the only things left are really the Injectors or low compression etc. Injectors can be re-conditioned by a good diesel place - where's home, someone might be able to recommend someone good nearby. Or you can get replacement injectors from a variety of places, just about anyone who's careful with spanners & has an idea of what to do can change them, but really they need to be selected and set up properly for your engine and the state of the injector pump, and that really needs a good diesel tuner to do it properly. If you don't, you could end up with low power, lots of smoke, and chewing thru fuel, or maybe even worse stuff!

And this is where the guessing comes in - a re-co injector pump that's just had a static 'set to OE specs' & not timed & tuned on the vehicle isn't necessarily going to be right for your engine or injectors, and I'd guess that's what you got - so I'd strongly recommend that instead of mucking around the edges you take the car to someone like West End Diesel, AMMS, or Cooma Diesel, Berrima Diesel, etc - one of the good diesel places like those should be able to solve all this sort of stuff & give you back a vehicle that is going to be running as well as it can, getting the optimum power for the set-up you have, not smoking, and the best fuel economy you can get without losing power. It might cost $800-$1000 for a full time & tune, or it might be only a couple of hundred, but even a rebuild on the pump shouldn't be much more than $2.5k properly timed, tuned, & set up for your motor.

So talk to the reputable places, don't go for the cheap job or the local mechanic unless they've got a rep as a good diesel mechanic and tuner - so many places these days are just parts fitters, and that doesn't work well for diesel injection systems - the reputable places might cost a bit more but that's cos they do the WHOLE job and they do it PROPERLY.

Good Luck!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

2.8GUTOURER
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by 2.8GUTOURER » May 7th, 2012, 9:22 am

Hi I have similar issues with mine, did some research and am going to try replace the plate on the injector pump with the Nissan aftermarket Nissan plate.

roscodunn78
Getting to know the place

Unread post by roscodunn78 » May 22nd, 2012, 6:35 pm

Hey guys thanks for the replies they were very helpful sorry for the late reply , a guy found that the manifold has oil in it and they think it's a seal gone in the turbo, and dad said he had a plate and oring done and it helped with the starting but when they rebuilt the pump it's been hard to start he thinks they may have put the original plate back on

Return to “General Nissan”