View topic - A word of warning - GU Clutch issues, Nissan won't cover.

A word of warning - GU Clutch issues, Nissan won't cover.

For the Nissan nuts
Here and there

A word of warning - GU Clutch issues, Nissan won't cover.

Hi Everyone
I would just like to share my recent experience with my 7 month old 3ltr GU patrol. For the first time I this holidays I was able to take the patrol out of the city for its first road trip from Brisbane to Cairns.
The drive up went well but on the day after we arrived the clutch on my patrol started to slip and within 5km the patrol was totaly immobalised and unable to be moved a few mtrs let alone limp to the nearest dealer. After a 5km walk i managed to get some service on the phone and called roadside assist who were very helpfull and had the car towed to the Cairns dealer that same afternoon so i thought ok some bad luck but Nissan will take care of it.. well that did not end up being the case.
I was informed a week later that Nissan would not cover the clutch under warrenty and given a $4000 bill for another standard clutch and by this time i was allready meant to be back in Brisbane at work the day before.
I had no choice but to pay up and thought i will take this up with my local dealer who i purchased it off and Nissan Australia as soon as i get home.
Once back home I went to see the dealer i purchased it from and they were helpfull and said they would recomend it was a warrenty issue also but once it went back to nissan Australia they denied me my claim once again.
Just to put this in perspective this Patrol has been offroad twice in its short life once in bribie and once in straddie and has only ever towed my small alloy boat to the ramp once or twice a month.
In my past I have put over 330 000 on my old manual pajero and have never burnt out a clutch out in any vehicle. I have now lost all faith in this vehicles reliability and will deffinatly not be recomending or purchasing new car again from Nissan.
Thanks for reading.
Tristan

Unread postby silverpatrol » January 19th, 2012, 4:19 pm

Need to get out more

Re: A word of warning - GU Clutch issues, Nissan won't cover

A $4000 bill. How did they manage to spin out the replacement of a clutch to $4000.
They have the gear to remove the box and transfer in one and do the clutch all in one day easily.
If they can't they are not genuine Nissan Dealers.
I don't know how much a clutch is but I would have thought around $1000 at their rates. Most likely cheaper.
That leaves $3000 for labour. At $75 per hour which is a rip off, the job took 40 hours???????????????????
I would have thought 5 or 6, it is a professional workshop isn't it. So $450 for labour, say $500.
Why did you have to pay $2500 more than this.
To me it doesn't add up.
Two blokes doing the job and you should still have $2000 in your pocket.
Perhaps you have a $3000 clutch and pressure plate in it and I am way off the mark.

Unread postby mydmax » January 20th, 2012, 11:42 pm

Part of the furniture

i suspect it would have a dual mass flywheel which would have been replaced with the clutch making up a large part of that 4k bill, but yes 7 months is not enough life from a clutch.
Spoonz4X4Brigade

Unread postby billyj » January 23rd, 2012, 7:54 pm

Been here a while

I reckon they replace the dual mass fly wheel and clutch... unlucky , you will have as much luck trying to claim for this as for brake wear !!!

Unread postby DICKOwithaGU » January 29th, 2012, 12:27 am

Been here a while

My clutch on my 2005 4.2 GU started slipping at around 50,000km's which is pretty crap. The only thing that changed prior to it slipping was I put in a set of 4.1 crown and pinions (previously 3.9's) which gave it a bit more go. I ended up putting in a Safari Tuff clutch for $1130, inc parts and Labour. I kept the old setup which looked perfectly fine, no hot spots, heaps of meat on the clutch. I ended up selling the clutch and pressure plate which was put into a GQ. Result, perfect, no signs of slipping. 1 year later still fine. Moral of the story, clamp load on pressure plates are to soft... that's what I believe anyway. In your case I reckon it was glazed up. Everytime they slip, they glaze up. You do it to often, you get to a point your clutch no longer bites. As for $4K, what a rip off. Local mechanic does Dual Mass clutches for half that.

Unread postby Zoom » February 16th, 2012, 3:05 pm

Here and there

If its a dual mass flywheel it is $2500.00 to buy the clutch kit plus fitting. This is a rip off by Nissan, as you can't buy them aftermarket. Do Nissan ever cover a warranty issue. It seems not.

Unread postby max350 » April 2nd, 2012, 7:33 am

Return to General Nissan