View topic - self inflating air beds

self inflating air beds

It's an amazing world, so get out there and enjoy it! Discussion about camping inside
Been here a while

self inflating air beds

any one have or used a self inflating matterest looking at buying a queen size for my wife and I. I am a big fella 130kg will it be comfortable for me lying on one of these beds they look a little thin.

Can you recommend a brand or model No. ???.. Don't care about price.

Thanks from the big fella.

Unread postby navara07 » December 26th, 2008, 4:34 pm

Need to get out more

They are fantastic, i enjoyed mine right up until the day it disappeared.

I had a "off road mat" brand, only a single and it was about $90.
2000 GU DX Patrol Ute, Factory Turbo, 3 inch exhaust, Canopy, Triple Batteries, 33x12.5 MTZs on 15x10 Challenger Alloys, 9500lb Winch

Unread postby Walt » December 26th, 2008, 11:06 pm

We bought a pair of "EPE" brand singles for a bit over $100 each. Like sleeping in bed at home. About 10cm inflated. Most shops are happy for you to try them on for size.

Unread postby nilla60 » December 26th, 2008, 11:19 pm

Been here a while

i have a double 10cm camping world one in my swag, and we have 2singles for in the big tent also camping world 10cm ones and they are great after going through god only knows how many air beds, the SIM is so comfy i love em im only a little fella 50kg so not sure bout someone bigger but i love em
jeepin about

Unread postby fj404all » December 27th, 2008, 10:33 am

Been here a while

yeah love ours. 10cm double from Anaconda. Get em on special for about $100 occassionally.

Unread postby HeathGQ » December 28th, 2008, 7:14 am

Part of the furniture

My wife has had major leg work done and we needed the best we could find for her to sleep on when camping. At the time the best was made by Great Outdoors, we got the queens size, 150x200x15cm. Large and bulky to pack but brilliant to sleep on. Only problem I don't think they make them at 15cm thick anymore, gone back to 10cm like the others. My wife found the 10cm one just didn't have the same support as the 15cm and she always ended up finding the hard floor after a while. Have used the 15cm one for ages now and never a problem. I think they called it the Ultrarest matteres I think, or something like that.
Cheers Al

Do everything twice, just in case you got it wrong the first time

Unread postby beaujest4 » December 28th, 2008, 9:13 am

Avid Poster

I've never even laid on a self inflating one, but a mate of mine just went from self inflating to blow up. He rekons the blow up one ******* all over the self inflating one in terms of comfort. I've got a coleman double high queen size mattress, bloody brilliant. Bought a rechargeable pump and it pumps up in 2-3 minutes. We've had 4 adults on it and it was fine, would've been around 300+ kg

Unread postby HiCountryCruisr » December 28th, 2008, 2:27 pm

Here and there

The handbrake and I have a camping world self inflating one 10cm thick one of the best things we ever got. you don't get the cold out off the ground the foam acts as an insulating layer also. cant beat a good nights sleep

Unread postby taz_barnett » December 28th, 2008, 2:53 pm

Been here a while

I got one of those big green self inflates from kangaroo tent city, think its about 100mm, best thing since sliced bread. Even had my sister try it out Christmas eve and she has a bad back and she said it was better then her bed at home. Only drawback is the size when rolled up "ours is a double" we do a bit of hiking so its not the sort of thing we can use on all our outings. so I’ve also got a thin full length single self inflates and two 3/4 self inflates but I do blow a little extra in as they are quite thin. I’ve also got one of those rubber camping rolls that I use to use when going fishing.

Unread postby Micks-Troopy » December 28th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Been here a while

I'll put another vote in for the "off road mat" I have a Queen size, good value for money i reckon, i'm 105kgs and I honestly sleep just as good on it as i do on my own bed at home with a $1600 mattress, So does the missus.

Only pain in the ass thing is its size when rolled up. It JUST fits sideways in the back of a 100 series wagon, touching on both sides, (It is the width of a queen bed!) and its about 400mm - 500mm diametre. So it does take up a lot of room. But well worth it if you have the space!

Mike

Unread postby mike_nofx » December 28th, 2008, 7:55 pm

Been here a while

HiCountryCruisr wrote:I've never even laid on a self inflating one, but a mate of mine just went from self inflating to blow up. He rekons the blow up one ******* all over the self inflating one in terms of comfort. I've got a coleman double high queen size mattress, bloody brilliant. Bought a rechargeable pump and it pumps up in 2-3 minutes. We've had 4 adults on it and it was fine, would've been around 300+ kg

We have 2 x queen size self inflating mats and they have been great , but we are getting rid of them.
We are going for the blow up ones because the mats take up soooooo much room on the car whereas the blow ups fit in a little box.

Thats the only reason!!!

Darren
`98 4.5 GU with extras MODS HAPPENING JUNE ,,,
Trackabout extenda 2012
Pennine Electrical--0421 931 947 (PEN9)

www.pennineelectrical.com

Unread postby dazbrook » December 28th, 2008, 8:26 pm

Here and there

We had a big one too. Great to sleep on but took up too much room. But I noticed that Mountain Designs has new one out that is down filled. Supposed to pack small, be very comfy and very warm.

Unread postby DAB » December 29th, 2008, 10:11 am

Been here a while

Thanks to all that replied purchased 5 singles 190cm length 60cm wide 6cm thick total $ 300 from kathmandu store very comfortable.

Thanks again

Unread postby navara07 » December 31st, 2008, 11:34 am

Avid Poster

If you want the best go for thermarest. Without a doubt the best roll mats around. They do a 'camp & comfort' series which sounds like what your after. The dreamtime is 8cm thick and is the best roll mat I have ever lay on.

Re the previous discussion about self-inflating mats vs airbeds the self-inflating ones are without the best, mainly because they use a high amount of foam, whereas the airbeds only use air. The foam adds a large amount of comfort and gets rid of the need for an air pump.

We sell some neat ones at work which would be appropriate if bulk is a little more of a concern. This is called the Mountain Designs Somnus XL. It is quite a bit wider/longer than the standard lightweight mats and is 5cm thick, with the felt cover. Feels really nice. Thickness isnt the end of the world either, as long as you inflate it to the correct pressure.

Cheers,
Mark

Unread postby robe0455 » December 31st, 2008, 1:05 pm

Avid Poster

HiCountrycruisr.....Four adults hey:thumb:..Hmmm. Anyways. The wife and I use Oz Trail King Singles 100mm thick. Best beding I've use. :D

Unread postby the-viking » August 9th, 2010, 4:12 pm

Next

Return to Camping