Who's done a First Aid course & keeps it updated?

It's an amazing world, so get out there and enjoy it! Discussion about camping inside
the-viking
Part of the furniture

Who's done a First Aid course & keeps it updated?

Unread post by the-viking » July 2nd, 2017, 7:51 am

Who's done a First Aid course and who updates it every three years?
I know there's a lot of jobs these days where being First Aid qualified is a requirement of the job but how many of you who aren't required to be qualified do one anyway? The reason this has come to mind is this (https://youtu.be/9MZrYylMkuE.) video I just watched on YouTube. When you watch it just ignore the reasons as to why it happened and all the brain dead comments that are posted but be more interested in the First Aid that was given, or rather the lack of. This is not a bagging of the people there on the day but an opertunity to raise the importance of being First Aid qualified. Take note at time 3:16 in the video. This guy is going in and out of consciousness, his head is not being supported and its slumped forwards cutting off or at least reducing his air supply. I'm only guessing now but I'd be confident that no one did a 'Head to Toe' examination or a 'Blood Sweep' with their hands to look and feel for underlying possible wounds. They did reassure him which is the initial treatment of shock but that's about it. I'll give it that going on DRSABCD they did assess for danger, check for a response and send for help. This is a classic expected Spinal/Neck injury. The head should have been carefully lifted and held back against the head rest supporting it, which would open his airways and help prevent aggrivating a possible neck injury. Even though he's conscious he should be kept this way until directed by Paramedics. If of course he became unconscious and stopped breathing then CPR of corse. While his heads supported someone should be conducting a 'Head to Toe' examination to check for possible life threatening wounds. Anyway. If you havnt done a course.....do one. :)

Scantek
Been here a while

Re: First Aid

Unread post by Scantek » July 2nd, 2017, 2:46 pm

Hi

Yes I do a refresher every 3 years. I used to work as a contractor out in the gold fields and I have had instances where I have used first aid for minor injuries to myself and others and once to save the life of a work mate who had an unfortunate accident with a 230mm angle grinder.
A few years ago I was a volunteer with St John Ambulance but my qualification is no longer current but I still remember a lot of the training.

I think its something that should be mandatory in the work place for everyone and it only take a few hours to get and compared to a life an insignificant cost.

Russ

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Re: Who's done a First Aid course & keeps it updated?

Unread post by typhoeus » July 2nd, 2017, 7:50 pm

yep, keep mine updated, only down side is that I get "volunteered" for first Aid safety officer in my workplace when it comes around. Principly because most others are too lazy or don't want to be responsible for saving someone else's life

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » July 3rd, 2017, 8:30 pm

I have a remote first aid cert. I need this for work as I take small groups of teenagers out bush. I even needed my "bush walking" cert.to go bush.
I have a few out door certs that go hand in hand with my remote first aid cert.

BennyT50
Avid Poster

Unread post by BennyT50 » July 5th, 2017, 4:24 pm

Yes, I am very lucky as my workplace pays for a group to come in and renew our First Aid Certificate every few years, as well as updating our Resuscitation certificate as well.

Doesn't cost me a cent.

BennyT50
BennyT50 - BT-50 SDX Dual Cab
Canopy, Bullbar, Tub Liner, ERPS, Snorkel, UHF, Dual battery, Side steps, Towbar, In-car camera.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » July 30th, 2017, 10:30 am

I picked up a cert when my daughter was born and have kept it up since. Imagine something happens and you think of all the times you "shoulda, coulda" but it's too late.

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » August 24th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Certainly on the todo list!
It would be good if all workplaces supported it because the main issue for me is taking the 1-2 days off depending on the course.
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » August 24th, 2017, 9:29 pm

We get an allowance if you keep your cert current and are a designated first aid person.

Return to “Camping”