Who does the best 1800mm roof top tent?

It's an amazing world, so get out there and enjoy it! Discussion about camping inside
Vanda
Been here a while

Who does the best 1800mm roof top tent?

Unread post by Vanda » April 10th, 2017, 9:41 pm

Hi guys and gals,
I'm a single dad with two young fellas who love camping and I want the room for the three of us (and yes, they are both bed hogs, hence the need for the bigger tent size) I'm after some advice from anyone that has a roof top tent that is 1800mm wide. Not many suppliers out there that I can find, so who does the best one?
I'm in NE Vic.
Tried doing a search but everyone seems to only have the 1400mm/1450mm wide tents.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help.
Vanda

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Re: Who does the best 1800mm roof top tent?

Unread post by the-viking » April 11th, 2017, 1:06 am

Hi Vanda.
I don't know of any company's that make a larger than normal sized RTT. Soz.

So your definitely got your mind set on a RTT? If you've had them in the past an d really like them then ignore my waffle below...... :)
Now I know there's a lot of folk on here that have them, love them and won't have anything else, and everyone to their own. I personally am not a fan for the following reasons.
Cons:
1. Top heavy.
2. They take away the majority of any Roof Cage space that can be utilised for other items and uses.
3. We do a lot of tight scrub tracks and RTT's tent to be the ones that stop progress because they snag up and have their clearance massively limited.
4. Once you set up they render the vehicle grounded. We love to do night drives and I like the 4by freed up for several reasons.
5. You have to jockey the 4by onto level ground which could result in your 4by not actually being in or facing the way you really would like it.
6. Makes tarping up difficult due to the height. And I don't care what anyone says, a canvas RTT without a good Silver Reflective tarp in summer is a HOT BOX.
7. Space. Great for two but in my books 3's pushing it.

Pros:
1. Off the ground.......... Thats it. :D

Disclaimer :) : This is not intended to be a RTT bash. Its just from personal experience over the years.

Cheers. :D

89 4runner
Here and there

Unread post by 89 4runner » April 11th, 2017, 10:07 am

Try Hannibal Safari, they do one that is 2m wide with 1 or 2 ladders. I had the 1.4 and only recently sold it due to a growing family but when money allows, i would consider the larger one for sure. You pay a bit more, but they are great quality. Mine was 5yrs old and still looked almost brand new.

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » April 12th, 2017, 10:32 am

I got the 1.4 deluxe, and yes, 3 up there is a bit of a squeeze.The 1.8 would be a better option.
They also do a 2.2, but that would take up the whole roof.

http://www.austrackcampers.com.au/produ ... top-tents/

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 12th, 2017, 12:48 pm

the-viking wrote:Hi Vanda.....
Now I know there's a lot of folk on here that have them, love them and won't have anything else, and everyone to their own. I personally am not a fan for the following reasons.
Disclaimer :) : This is not intended to be a RTT bash. Its just from personal experience over the years.

Cheers. :D
2nd all that ^^

All the Con's he says plus the ungainly increase they make to your vehicle's CoG!! I've seen more than one vehicle with a RTT on it's side simply due to the extra leverage any weight up that high will have on vehicle stability - and it doesn't only happen in rough terrain, I've seen it happen out in the deserts, & even on what you would've thought was basically safely 'level ground' & straight & level tracks!! RTT's increase any inherent instability in your vehicle, especially if you've also got a lift!! :eek:

Why not get a good quality Freedom Family Camper or a Southern Cross tent instead?? They can be erected or packed up just as quick (if not quicker!) and take up significantly less storage space on or off the vehicle! Usually, you'll get far more room for your $$ in one of them, plus all the good things about RTT's except being off the ground & none of the bad things, but not only are you waaay less likely to break a leg or something if you fall out the door, you can also use it away from your vehicle if you feel like it! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » April 12th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Yes.... The parachute effect they have on the freeway increasing fuel consumption. Forgot about that. Anyone know of a fuel comparison test done with and without RTT. Would be interesting to know.

Two summers ago and and on two separate local trips, it was the RTT driver amongst us that caused us one turn around and one near disastrous tip over. Actually I tell a lie. He turned around and we [three other cars] pushed through after we consoled the map and discovered he could loop around on the forrest road and meet up with us again. Still. He wasn't able to enjoy the newly discovered track. His near tip was on a inclined hairpin. Nothing a few bods riding the side step didn't fix but again, goes to show. What usually causes the turn arounds btw are fallen trees across the track that are too big to chainsaw. Not fallen as in laying across the track but fallen from the high side across. Theres often just enough room to slide the sides of the roof cage under to get through. Don't get me wrong, even us non RTTer's have to turn around on these quite often so its not exclusively a RTT issue.

When we had the kids with us it was a Southern Cross 3m x 3m Touring Tent. Still got it but rarely use it now as the wife and I Stretcher Swag it these days since its just us. A nice sized Silver reflective Tarp as shelter if we need it.
We all have different camping setups and styles I know.

So do you think the boys are keen for night drives spotlighting wildlife or just doing a night drive in general? My RTT mate and his son have to hitch a ride in one of the other cars when we do our Spotlighting drives. Anyway just planting some thought seeds. :drink:

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » May 31st, 2017, 9:19 pm

Bit late in reply

But, we did have a 180cm wide RTT. Just a cheapy from Ebay and we loved it.
It was an awesome tent. We loved the room, we loved being of the ground. I am convinced that they are warmer in winter and cooler in summer.
We had our tent on our Rodeo and Land cruiser. The TD Rodeo was great on fuel and I din't think that fuel consumption was that much worse.
The LC was a petrolholic anyway and would out drink all forum members in one sitting....
We have only good memories and if our circumstances had not changed we would not have sold our tent.

Return to “Camping”