Waeco CDF35 not getting cold - any ideas why? Fixes?

It's an amazing world, so get out there and enjoy it! Discussion about camping inside
schultzie
Getting to know the place

Waeco CDF35 not getting cold - any ideas why? Fixes?

Unread post by schultzie » February 1st, 2017, 5:42 am

Got a small issue with my CDF35, the case gets a little cold but that's about it. There are a couple dents in the case that I thought might be restricting the refrigeration flow but I could be wrong.

I've added an image for reference.

Thanks in advance for any help

-Justin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Re: waeco cdf35 not getting cold

Unread post by the-viking » February 1st, 2017, 7:26 am

Hey mate.

Has this happened since the dings?

Are you getting any red LED fault lights?

What Temp does it get to?

How are you powering the fridge, whats the wiring set up and power supply?

schultzie

Re: waeco cdf35 not getting cold

Unread post by schultzie » February 1st, 2017, 9:19 am

I'll be honest and say it has not been used in a long time, I have a Bushman as well.

12v on a power supply, compressor runs; 24v on a battery, compressor runs better & I can hear a bit of refrigerant in the case (I suspect it is low on gas).

No faults; bridged the thermistor, no difference; also did the 10k thermistor trick and put it in the cabinet, no difference. I noticed there are no valves on the compressor for re-gassing, just the stems blanked off, is this normal?

The lower dent is pretty hefty and I could feel that the case is cooler below the dent than above. I just don't know how fragile the channels are. I had thought about using a dent removal tool (suction cup type) to see if it made a difference if the dent was shallower...

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Waeco CDF35 not getting cold - any ideas why? Fixes?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 1st, 2017, 10:59 am

How old is your Waeco?? I've seen quite a few fairly old units (15 plus years old?!) out there that have obviously taken a real beating with dents & other 'damage thru age & use' all over, and yet they are still managing to keep the beer really cold & do everything that's asked of them! But having a suitable power supply & good/heavy enough wiring IS essential!! Oh, & switching them to the appropriate power level is a good idea too - it's no good having the cut-off set on high when you've got a piss-ant battery trying to run it - you will need some power or battery capacity 'depth', especially when it's bloody hot outside like it has been of late!

However, there have been a few newer users/owners commenting on the 'lesser capabilities & reliability' since Waeco swapped from the Danfoss compressor across to the Wanbo compressor for these smaller/cheaper units, but I'm not sure of exactly when that change occurred?!? 2012/2013 maybe? Just not sure, but that could be part of your problem. Still, you suspect low gas - that's gotta be a worry! In fact, that could well be the entire issue!! But not if your Waeco has any warning LEDs lit up on the top, so what are they doing?? Flashing red or orange?? Glowing a Steady Green?? Just not coming on at all?? Whatever info you can provide on what those are doing might just help with diagnosis!

Buuut, if you've lost ANY gas out of the system, then there's a good chance that's your problem & there's still a leak, & that'll need fixing regardless!! Besides, low gas means less cooling capacity, & there's really just not enough excess cooling capacity in these little fridges to cope with any lack! The 'sealed stems' vs valves thing is not uncommon on any car/camping fridge & isn 't really an issue to a good A/c Tech, but I've run into more than just a couple of Tech's who consider these fridges to be 'too cheap' to warrant re-gassing or doing any significant repairs, and they may have a point if the Wanbo compressor is 'less than up-to the task' of handling Aussie heat for long!! :(

But if you've got one with a Danfoss compressor, I'd definitely be making sure the power &/or wiring is up to speed/the task first, then if it's still not managing well, taking it in to a good A/c Tech to see if they can re-gas it & fix it for you! :thumb:

Good Luck! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

schultzie

Unread post by schultzie » February 2nd, 2017, 5:59 am

all over the wring situation, no error lights and from what I have read you wont get an error for low gas.
yeah I am fortunate to have the danfoss bd35,

trying to find a place to just put some gas in it and then try find the leak

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » February 2nd, 2017, 7:06 am

Yep. I'm thinking gas issues now. If there was a tickle of power issues the Waeco's let you know about it.

mudshark
Need to get out more

Unread post by mudshark » April 16th, 2017, 10:03 pm

Maybe try the fan its a cheap fix around $30 from jaycar
1988 FJ62 LIFTED LOCKED AND BARRED UP :) and SO SICK

Return to “Camping”