Engel 40L fridge - exposure to water/rain, is it a concern??

It's an amazing world, so get out there and enjoy it! Discussion about camping inside
boodsie
Here and there

Engel 40L fridge - exposure to water/rain, is it a concern??

Unread post by boodsie » October 27th, 2016, 3:50 pm

Ok ive got a 40L Engel, i have been going away camping quite a bit and just throw the engel on the tray, plug it in and tie it down. Is in the case that you can buy for them................ Question is, if it rains is is going to blow up as i dont have a canopy or anything to put on it? any guys got any useful information that could help me

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Re: Engel 40L fidge water concerns

Unread post by the-viking » October 27th, 2016, 5:43 pm

Is it new and with a users manual? If so see if it mentions anything. If not I'd be contacting Engel for that one. :) Even if the manual said and forum members said you could, I know I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.

Cheers.

buffer
Avid Poster

Re: Engel 40L fidge water concerns

Unread post by buffer » October 27th, 2016, 10:52 pm

I am in the same vote as -the viking- would not at all feel comfortable, as to me any type of power source + water should not mix. But then again i have seen many a ute without cover/canopy with fridges on the back and all they have is the protective bags for the fridge.
Never hurts to call and ask the question.
100 series 4.2TD, 2" lift, ARB twin lockers, Safari snorkel, ARB winch bar with brushbars and sidesteps, 12000lb winch, supernova driving lights and custom made aluminium rack with awning, ARB dual rear bar, dual batteries, Airbag assists rear.

Horvo
Here and there

Re: Engel 40L fridge - exposure to water/rain, is it a conce

Unread post by Horvo » November 9th, 2016, 1:04 pm

Personal experience only....

My Dad has had his engel 40L in the back of his ute for 5 years rain, hail, shine. Soaking wet and blistering heat. Not a problem from it at all always keeps things cool flawlessly. Been so heat soaked the cover is literally falling apart from sun damage.

I now have 2 MTF45's in the tray of my ute in the same conditions. I have soaked them both in water and mud from bogholes flicking up all over them and muddy boot spray while highway driving going directly in the back of the fridges. I have hosed them down afterwards with no faults. I have had one for about 1 year and the other a few months. 1 Lives in the back of the ute and the other is put there for long trips. Always running, I don't think it has ever been turned off yet. They may not have the best seal but they are in my opinion only, the best money can buy. (especially for water)(proven).

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » November 10th, 2016, 9:41 am

Out west there are plenty of engels that are just bolted to the ute tray. If they couldn't handle that, then they wouldn't have got the reputation for reliability that they have.
I have hosed mine out on occasion and it still worked for ages.

Its a 35L and has just packed it in recently. Bloody thing only makes it down to 8 degrees. Useless POS, it is only 36 years old. :irked:

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 10th, 2016, 5:45 pm

I had one of them a few years back Hoyks!! One of the old lighter green coloured jobbies (8.0 gal capacity or something like that?! Coulda been 35l, too old to remember?) - but suddenly & for no reason it just stopped cooling, didn't it.... only after about 35 years or so of reliable running too!! :irked:

No worries tho, I got it to the Engel Tech in Cairns; he took one look, then just jacked the thermostat knob up; stripped the entire guts outta the casing; dropped in a brand new model replacement fridge unit, motor & all; & then screwed the thermostat knob back on top of the new digital thermostat with all the latest model internals in the ancient casing!! I was gob smacked that the latest 39 or 40 litre or whatever guts fitted inside the old smaller casing, but it did & I reckon he already knew it would - close fit tho!! It's still going strong a couple of years down track from it's full re-build! :thumb: And it's still the best bloody fridge I've ever owned! ;)

I do try to keep it shaded & dry even if it does spend a lot of time exposed to the weather. Doesn't seem to care much, & certainly doesn't make much difference to the way it cools/freezes & operates on a day to day basis! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » November 13th, 2016, 10:48 am

I've looked at the newer one and the old one and not much has changed, so thanks for the tip.

If I can get it going again, then I'm going to give it a re-spray.

I have got myself a HJ45 of similar vintage that also needs some serious work, so the plan is to repainting the fridge with a white lid and a dune beige body to match.

Return to “Camping”