My new Yamaha EF2000 generator is smoking? Normal or?

It's an amazing world, so get out there and enjoy it! Discussion about camping inside
gouger
Getting to know the place

My new Yamaha EF2000 generator is smoking? Normal or?

Unread post by gouger » September 8th, 2016, 5:02 pm

have an issue with a new generator blowing smoke under light loads its brand new !! have been told that this is normal :huh: and am wondering if anybody else has had this problem ?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: My new Yamaha EF2000 generator is smoking? Normal or?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 10th, 2016, 8:15 am

Many of those 'small engine' units do blow a little smoke under light loads, but if it's thick &/or obviously blue smoke, personally, I reckon you should still be worried!! If it's just light & vaguely white smoke, it's probably the same as all the rest. :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

gouger

Unread post by gouger » September 13th, 2016, 9:54 am

thanks , its a ef2000is and the store did replace it . after the Yamaha distributor would not accept there was a problem, they were the ones saying its normal for it to use oil under light loads ,it would stop on the oil alert after 2 to 3 tanks of fuel ! . so I have not used the replacement much as yet but it seems to suffer the same problem is it just me ?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 13th, 2016, 11:27 am

Many new engines or even new exhausts on engines 'smoke' for a while during their first hours of running; basically just burning off all the assembly oil & grease, but that tends to disappear after a while or until it's spent some hours of hot running!! Then after that, as I mentioned in my first post, small engines, particularly those under light loads, are renowned for always running with a little light smoke; but if it's blue & burning oil, it's not good or right!!

So this is the second one you've had doing this now?? Have you tried loading it up a tad more & seeing what happens?? Maybe you are just being too gentle with it & the rings aren't ever bedding in - engines DO like to work a bit; & you should always try run them under some load rather than just at or slightly above idle, especially with engines that run at a steady speed for a lot of time!! Leaving them running at or just above idle for more than a few minutes is not at all good for them, especially if they are new & haven't yet been 'run in'!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » September 15th, 2016, 1:00 am

I don't suppose its possible your mis reading the controls and putting the choke full on instead of the throttle control?
Running it rich like that will carbon the oil rings up and the spark plug pretty quick and carboned up oil rings will let oil burn past the rings.
Just a suggestion from out of left field.
Yamie generally have their sh!te together when it comes to designing / building good / reliable engines, so i am having a little difficulty understanding how 2 generators in a row have the same issue unless maybe its operator error!
Sometimes they have a Tortoise and Hare picture on the throttle lever and a choke tube with butterfly picture on the choke lever.
If you mix them up and push the choke full on to get more revs... well that MIGHT explain what your describing is all.
I could be wrong - it wouldn't be the first time.

gouger

Unread post by gouger » September 17th, 2016, 11:26 am

thanks for your replies . am still disappointed with the Yamaha was very careful with running in procedures etc with the second unit and it still uses oil under light loads ! so much so that after 2 to 3 tanks of fuel it will cut out on oil alert but under a full load it uses no oil ? the Yamaha distributor/ warranty fellas fix is to keep it loaded all the time !!
so both the Yamaha machine and there warranty set up have both been a disappointment .

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 17th, 2016, 2:41 pm

Maybe it'd pay you just to load it up a bit & run it fairly hard for at least one tank full of fuel & then see what gives??!

If it's smoking cos it's not bedding in the rings &/or glazing due to the light load, then you giving it heaps for a bit might just clear that up; but make very sure you don't overload or over rev it & that you can clearly document that you haven't done either! (The reason for that should become clear as you read on. ;) ) If running it hard doesn't sort it & the engine does expire dud to lack of oil, then with any luck it'll be while it's still under warranty & cos this is not the first one that's failed like this for you, you'll have a good case for getting your money back &/or choosing another brand of replacement gen set!! Altho if you do do that then you'd better make damn sure that the new one gets run in hard & worked properly from the set-to or it'll clearly implicate 'your operation' as being the issue!! :silly wink:

Good Luck!

Return to “Camping”