Is a cordless chainsaw OK for firewood?

It's an amazing world, so get out there and enjoy it! Discussion about camping inside
unijoint
Been here a while

Is a cordless chainsaw OK for firewood?

Unread post by unijoint » June 8th, 2016, 4:17 pm

thinking about getting a stihl 160 cordless chainsaw for cutting firewood when touring the top end. would only be cutting small stuff like 100mm round hardwood. if anyone is using any brand would appreciate some feed back. cheers.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Re: cordless chainsaw for firewood

Unread post by the-viking » June 8th, 2016, 6:20 pm

Don't have any experience with electric chain saws. The concept sounds good but I'd still want a good decent reliable petrol chainsaw in my arsenal, especially for such a trip that your embarking on. My thoughts anyway. :)

unijoint
Been here a while

Unread post by unijoint » June 8th, 2016, 7:17 pm

I have taken a petrol stihl in the past but rather not carry petrol and in many locations its best to be quiet and not attract attention. other than that you cant beat a petrol chainsaw.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » June 8th, 2016, 9:06 pm

you would want a couple of spare batteries to go with it too, and they can be expensive. If you have other battery powered tools, perhaps you should consider buying a saw of the same brand so you can mix & match batteries. . . if they make a saw that is

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » June 9th, 2016, 6:08 am

my mate always takes a cordless circular saw with him camping. the first time i saw him with it i laughed to myself. after a week of camping with him i changed my mind. if you have the car space its not a bad choice. dunno bout the chainsaw, but the circular saw is not too bad, can still cut little things up to about 150 thick.

unijoint
Been here a while

Unread post by unijoint » June 10th, 2016, 9:24 am

thanks for the feed back guys hopefully someone who has used one will reply. cheers.

bazzaboy
Been here a while

Unread post by bazzaboy » June 11th, 2016, 8:51 am

A friend of mine got onto these cordless chainsaws when they first came out. He found that they were only good for small fire wood and that the battery life became an expensive problem. Unless the currently available batteries are much better ( price & longevity ), I would recommend a petrol chainsaw. His experience convinced me to stay with my Stihl chainsaw.
Capt.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

unijoint
Been here a while

Unread post by unijoint » June 11th, 2016, 11:02 am

Im thinking that I might just take my small petrol stihl chainsaw and give the idea of the cordless a miss. I don't want to risk getting out in the bush with a saw that wont do the job and if I come across a big log across the track I will definitely need a petrol. heading up to lakefield and cape Melville for a few weeks . cheers and thanks.

4wd Hobbit
Been here a while

Unread post by 4wd Hobbit » June 11th, 2016, 1:46 pm

But you said in your original post that you wanted it for cutting small stuff like 100mm round hardwood not clearing tracks.

For tracks etc then yes the petrol chainsaw is the way to go. I am not sure where the comment about running out of battery comes from - just keep them charged up.

I have a 240v electric chain saw that I have for home but it runs OK on my inverter when out - more than a match for the smaller petrol chain saw I also have for cutting wood.

I think you will find a battery Stil will be comparable to a similar sized petrol Stil, but if you have now decided that you want to used it for track clearance as well then neither a little petrol Stil or a battery Stil will be big enough and you need a medium or bigger petrol saw. My small petrol chainsaw is no good for track clearance.

Hobbit

Muckinhell
Need to get out more

Unread post by Muckinhell » June 11th, 2016, 6:11 pm

with the likes of a battery chainsaw you may also want to consider say a makita 18v tool kit, use the same battery to run a drill a leaf blower for de dusting ya camper before set up, a dust buster, also a recipro saw with a decent wood blade as well or circular saw. makita make a 12v charger for the batteries so you would have multiple uses for the one battery, even a small fan all with the one or 2 same batteries. quite often use my recipro while out camping for firewood, and the other mentioned tools. be even better if you got onto a 12v kit re purpose one of the batteries to run a leed out of to an andersen plug and have a lot bigger power base.

bazzaboy
Been here a while

Unread post by bazzaboy » June 13th, 2016, 8:45 pm

Hobbit

I'm sorry but IMO I have to disagree. I have a 16"bar petrol Stihl chainsaw and I doubt very much that you could compare any battery/electric version to it, performance or functionality. It easily handles small fire fire as well as larger timber. It has no battery to keep charged or need replacing when they can no longer hold a charge or the charger fails. My Stihl has cleared many reasonable sized fallen trees from tracks for many years. IMO if you need any larger chainsaw you might want to take another track or leave it for the rangers to clear. Just be aware that chainsaws of any size can be a very danger piece of equipment when used by the inexperienced. ( not saying you are )
Bazza
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

4wd Hobbit
Been here a while

Unread post by 4wd Hobbit » June 13th, 2016, 11:06 pm

For sure - don't disagree but the Op just wants something to cut small stuff not reduce a whole forest to firewood. A battery powered unit will do this fine - you talk about batteries and chargers but the point you make equally applies to running out or spilling petrol and 2 stroke oil etc.

Been here a while

Unread post by 953 » September 9th, 2016, 11:15 am

I just bought a 56v 14" ego chainsaw along with all their other battery outdoor equipment.
It will be (is) fine for cutting up firewood at camp & you will also be able to do track clearing (to an extent) if you're confident/competent with a saw.
You can cut from more than one position & if you have a winch, you may not necessarily have to cut all the way through to clear the track.
True about the batteries, you'd want a spare & possibly be able to recharge, also a spare chain is always good.
Thing is, gathering wood, we're looking for hard dry old wood which burns the best but, its the hardest on the chain. Having a sharp chain is the go but, it can still dull quickly under these conditions.
I can't vouch for the durability, reliability, longevity, as its all new to me at this stage but, so far, so good.
Did you end up trying a battery one ?
Cheers Dean.

ps, its NOT a logging saw, horses for courses!

Scotty_56
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Scotty_56 » September 12th, 2016, 9:17 pm

Wonder if a reciprocating saw would do the job.?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-one-1 ... y_p6210361

Been here a while

Unread post by 953 » September 13th, 2016, 2:28 pm

Scotty,
For kindling & small cooking fires it should be fine but, if it's cold & you want to stand around a warm/hot fire for a good BS session & a few ales, it might be wanting.
I've tried it & it doesn't work for me but, actually given the choice, I would prefer a good sharp handsaw or/and an axe.
Drifta has a vid that showed cutting only half way through branches then breaking the rest of the way through in a suitable fork of a tree, which seemed to be quite an efficient way to prepare a reasonable amount of wood for a fire.

I remember once asking a mate if he thought we had enough wood for the night?
His response ...... depends how long you wanna drink ! :twisted:
Cheers Dean.

Return to “Camping”