Any new camping tips?

It's an amazing world, so get out there and enjoy it! Discussion about camping inside
the-viking
Part of the furniture

Any new camping tips?

Unread post by the-viking » May 14th, 2016, 5:44 pm

So...... Bit quiet in here.
Anyone discovered a camping tip/technique recently?
I boil enough water for that night cuppa to fill my thermos to use in the morning for that early morning cuppa, if an early bird like me. Saves all the clang'n and bang'n. That's my tip........ :D

nilla60

Re: Any new camping tips?

Unread post by nilla60 » May 14th, 2016, 10:03 pm

I collect the old USA made Thermos/Stanley bottles when I can score them on the cheap. Much better than the rubbish being sold these days and will keep your tea/coffee hot all day. For day trips I don't even need to bring a billy/cooker.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » May 14th, 2016, 10:55 pm

Yes. I use to have one but never knew what happened to it.
If we are winter camping I'll wrap the thermos up in some towels or something for extra insulation over night. Even if your all up in the morning and your not trying to keep quiet, it makes for a quick re-boil on the cooker if its not quite hot enough.

rmoore
Been here a while

Unread post by rmoore » May 18th, 2016, 5:07 pm

Nothing new under the sun for old salts like you.......and me ! :D
Mazda BT50 DualCab XT auto, new in April 2012. ARB bar, side rails, steps, suspension. Redarc trailer brakes. Anti-spinifex plate. Lightforce HID's. Extra 5 micron fuel filter. Custom Al canopy on ute. Designed as a touring rig.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » May 19th, 2016, 5:24 am

Just tryin to kick start a rather dormant thread. :)

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » May 19th, 2016, 5:27 am

Just tryin to kick start a rather dormant thread. :)

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » September 10th, 2016, 10:31 am

Ok then. Maybe now the seasons approaching there's been some camping gear tinkering done or some ideas born. This tip is something we've been doing for years. For those of you that use a gas lantern or one like our Coleman Twin Mantle Duel Fuel.
We suspend our lantern a good 3-4 metres above the camp site with a rope. This gives a really nice full moon glow over the site without it being overpowering. Of course you can bring it down and adjust accordingly. Obviously you'll need to be in a area with trees but I have pulled this off using a spare tent pole off the roof cage.

:D

BennyT50
Avid Poster

Unread post by BennyT50 » September 10th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Taking of water flasks/bottles, I use one of the ones from Atlasware. They are stainless steel. I bought one from a work mate, who imports them from Dubai.

Keeps boiling water at a very high temperature for 24 hours - that is my experience. Cold water it keeps it at nealy the same temperature as when you put it in.

Relative has one also and she boils water in the morning and it is still hot enough in the afternoon to make a hot cup of tea.

Here is the web address - www.atlasware.com.au/agents/australia2

No personal interest in this product, just mention it here out of interest.

BennyT50
BennyT50 - BT-50 SDX Dual Cab
Canopy, Bullbar, Tub Liner, ERPS, Snorkel, UHF, Dual battery, Side steps, Towbar, In-car camera.

Return to “Camping”