Starting my camping Setup From Scratch - any advice?

It's an amazing world, so get out there and enjoy it! Discussion about camping inside
Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Re: Starting my camping Setup From Scratch - any advice?

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » March 22nd, 2016, 7:25 am

These are good value, free shipping to most Aust regions.

Oztrail Tourer 9
http://www.snowys.com.au/Tents-Shelters ... c=3&id=145

Oztrail Tourer 9 Plus
http://www.snowys.com.au/Tents-Shelters ... c=3&id=146

The side pole kit so you have the whole floor space available !!
http://www.snowys.com.au/Tents-Shelters ... c=3&id=147

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » March 22nd, 2016, 8:26 am

At the risk of sounding like I'm 'nit picking' and RTT bashing there are a couple of other things with RTT's that puts me off. What if, for what ever the reason, you had to break camp urgently......?! Also, if you buy cheap then the chances of water leaks are high. Try tarping a RTT!!!! :crazy:
When we find a spot all we do to mark that spot (which isn't always an issue anyway as we don't normally do established camp grounds) is we pitch the tarp. That's it. If we did fall foul to a low life thief, then it's the tarp only we've lost. We are free to drive around and explore our surroundings. When we get back we just reverse into the tarp. Seriously, RTT's are very restrictive, but, may well suit your style. They obviously suit others as you see so many of them but how long do they stick with them? That's the question. I remember coming across a 4WD club at Chichester SF once. I'd say there where nearly up to 20 cars. Not one RTT amongst them, in fact Swags and Touring Tents dominated their tribe. Anyway........ :)
Cheers.

mattm9
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by mattm9 » March 24th, 2016, 9:52 am

Thanks everyone for the links and advce. Especially the click top storage crates definitely save some money instead of going straight for the expensive drawers.

I'll keep you all updated on the progress and the gear I end up going for!

3136 ranger
Here and there

Unread post by 3136 ranger » March 24th, 2016, 5:23 pm

Yes mate the click top crates are not only a cost saver, but a weight saver, and you can carry them inside to wash all the plates etc after a trip. And any that have expensive stuff can be carried inside, and quickly put back in for a trip, so there are a few advantages to them.
I'm surprised at all the negative feedback on RTT's when I suggested a touring tent I was expecting some flack, good to see I'm not alone in the touring tent corner.
Just get the minimum to start with and see how you and your partner like it, and add to it as needed.

3136 ranger
Here and there

Unread post by 3136 ranger » March 24th, 2016, 5:29 pm

BTW this is an updated version of the one I have.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Coleman-Inst ... SwwbdWKM0G

Just a tip, pack it up with the fly still on it, and when you assemble it, you save a heap of time.

mattm9
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by mattm9 » March 26th, 2016, 4:44 pm

Just looking at getting an awning in some of the easter sales. I've attached a picture of the Pathy at the moment. I'm assuming the awning wont be able to be mounted to the rails that are on it at the moment? Can anyone point me in the direction of the best way to mount it.

Had a look at that Coleman tent and reviews and all seems to be pretty good. Definitley added that to the list.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » March 27th, 2016, 11:38 am

Mate I wouldn't think it would be too hard to fabricate your own mounts to work with those rails. Grab your favourite beverage, pull up a chair next to your car and ponder away. :)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 27th, 2016, 2:18 pm

^^ Egg-zackery - I did just wot he said!!

Looked at it for a bit (with a liquid aid to cogitation in my hand) & quickly came up with a solution!! :thumb:

I just used a few 'U' bolts from the hardware store - nickel plated so they wouldn't rust (much) & added nickel plated nyloc nuts so they wouldn't rust either or come undone easily & it took all of about 30 mins to fit. The 'U' of each bracket went around the roof rail with a strip of insertion rubber (or tyre tube) as padding between it & the the rail, the 'U', & the flat plate on the front (which deformed a little as I tightened the nuts down, so it matched the roof rail profile!) I fitted the 3 or 4 'U' bolts first, did them up tight, trimmed the bottom arm of the 'U' flush with the top of the tightened nut & gave the unplated bit a dab of rust preventer, & then using a few extra nuts I bolted the awning support rail/backing plate onto the remaining protruding threaded section of the 'U' bolt. That way the 'U' bolts were fitted tightly & basically on the roof rail permanently, while the awning could be bolted on or taken off as desired.

Worked well, & the canvas awning withstood the odd hit on a tree, lotsa sun, heaps of wind & a few really strong gales, a deluge or two of rain, & even some kilo's of snow without ever looking the slightest bit stressed!! And when I was cleaning it all up for sale & removing the bits I wanted to keep off the Pathy, the awning & 'U' bolts came off & the only signs you could see that anything had ever been there was a slightly less faded patch on the roof rail for every 'U' bolt!! ;)

Good Luck, & enjoy the Pathy, not the most economical, but all up, great vehicles on & off road (after all, it IS a Nissan!) :D
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » March 28th, 2016, 7:30 am

Peter Aawen wrote:^^ Egg-zackery - I did just wot he said!!

Looked at it for a bit (with a liquid aid to cogitation in my hand) & quickly came up with a solution!! :thumb:
Yes. This has always been my approach to all my 'Tinkering' ideas. I'll even suss out existing jobs I'v done to see if they can be done better, and thats happened a few times. I use my iPhone while camping to take notes of ideas or if it happens to be another campers idea, with permission, take a photo. Tip though. Don't rush it and even if you come up with something, give it another thinking session a few days later to see if there's even a better way. First idea isn't necessarily the best one. Look forward to seeing your build in progress. :)

Gfazz
Here and there

Unread post by Gfazz » March 31st, 2016, 1:41 pm

tony bogle wrote:..... i just bought a new double kings swag it is one of the best swags i have ever owned i set it up under my awning i also have a double stretcher .....

Mate what double stretcher do you use with the kings double swag?

Return to “Camping”