What is your favourite camping gear?

It's an amazing world, so get out there and enjoy it! Discussion about camping inside
the-viking
Part of the furniture

Re: What is your favourite camping gear?

Unread post by the-viking » March 16th, 2016, 7:39 am

TLC60S wrote:Back in 2005 I was camping in a caravan park in the Central Queensland Gem Fields when some guy 4 sites up told us how he was going to slash our camper & throw me in the river during the night cause of my snoring & I think he meant it.
As serious as this might have been at the time TLC60S I couldn't help to have a chuckle when I read the above part…. :lol:

My CPAP has been a life changer for me and the wife in all sorts of ways. I'll fight with the f-----g thing from time to time but its still worth it. :)
So you've reminded me that there is a mod for this. Iv run a series of small velcro straps along the inner roof of my Stretcher Swag for the CPAP hose to run along and dangle at the head end at just the right hight. The unit itself sits at the foot end of the Swag. The lead runs to my inverter up and in through the passenger window. Inverter is under my front passenger seat.
So thats Mod number 11 from the previous list….. :) Cheers.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » March 17th, 2016, 8:50 pm

Hi the-Viking
After investigating which CPAP machine would suite my needs & it had to be able to run on 12 volt as well as 240 mains, I settled for a ResMed S9 Elite. It came with 240 mains connection & an additional option was a 12 volt connection so it doesn't need a power inverter to run it. It needs between 11 to 15 amps a night to run at my set pressure of 15. The ResMed S9 Elite comes with the Attachable humidifier which these days I don't use, I just set it to off cause it uses a lot more power to run on 12 volts & after a few camping trips running the CPAP machine with no humidifier I found I sleep more comfortable without it. The other part that depends if the machine is going to work comfortably is the mask & just like you I use Velcro to keep the hose up out of the way, I just strap it to the campers canvas spreader bar which passes above the bed at just the right height. The mask I use is a Fisher & Paykel Opus nasal pillow mask cause it holds the hose from the nose piece to a head strap, facing the hose backwards & with the hose held up behind me the hose is never in the way or that air relief is not blowing towards anything.
It's taken me some testing but this setup works for me.

Cheers TLC60S

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » March 19th, 2016, 12:04 pm

Hey TLC….

Mine is a Phillips Respireonic. I use the humidifier at home but don't take it out bush or for small trips away. I started off on the nasal pillows but if settled down with a medium Whisp nasal mask. I still have my moments with it and from time to time and I'll take a break from it. Just a night or two every now and then. I just plug a long enough lead from the inverter and slip it in the foot end of the swag. Works well. :)

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » March 21st, 2016, 10:21 pm

Hi Viking
My first machine I every used which I hired was a Phillips but they didn't come with a 12 volt option & was going to use around 50 amps a night to run.
The mask I had before my current mask had straps like yours but they kept slipping down the back of my head causing the mask to leak & I found when the tube is left to flop around I was woken by air blowing at the linen waking me up. Found it's best when held in the one position like on the Opus .
Sounds like you haven't found the right mask yet if you have to go skipping some nights without using the machine.
When your due to replace your current mask look at all the reasons why you struggle with it then look to see what new mask can fix these problems.

Cheers TLC60S.

Return to “Camping”