Heat Exchange Shower. What do you do?

It's an amazing world, so get out there and enjoy it! Discussion about camping inside
the-viking
Part of the furniture

Heat Exchange Shower. What do you do?

Unread post by the-viking » August 7th, 2015, 8:11 am

We have a Glind unit. I've had the male inlet and outlet ends plumbed to the Bullbar along with a waterproof on/off switch. Saves popping the bonnet every time. I use a modified tent pole as a shower pole which quickly straps to the middle of the Bullbar. If we need privacy we have a popup ensuite that secures to the Bullbar as well. I also have a small thermometer that has a 400mm lead with the sender unit at the end which I drop into the jerry. This thermometer has a temp alarm which can be pre-selected to go off at your desired temp which is 45° for us. The unit has magnets on the back and conveniently clips to the shower pole. Also, on the jerry end of the outlet hose I have a length of PVC pipe the depth of the jerry. This is to keep the curl out of the hose and to also be able to place the end into the lowest point of the jerry to get every last drop. And finally, on the 20ltr jerry I have a line at the half way mark, 10ltrs each. This is what we do. On the run back to camp at the end of the day we routinely collect our firewood for the night. When I pull up to camp I'll leave the car running to keep the engine nice and hot. I'll set the shower up and start circulating the shower water through the 20ltr jerry with the thermometer set to go off at 45° and the wife will get our fresh cloths sorted. When we've done this we'll get the firewood sorted. More often than not the alarm goes off before we finish the wood. The wife takes the first shower as she loves a hot shower, then I jump in.
When we first started using it we use to shower while circulating through the exchanger. The problem was the very first burst of water after sliding the on/off switch on the shower rose was almost scolding, then it would taper down from there. The other was the noise of the car... no tranquility. Lol. By pre-heating the water you can turn the car off and the water is a nice consistent temp.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Re: Heat Exchange Shower. What do you do?

Unread post by typhoeus » August 7th, 2015, 1:19 pm

sounds like you got it sorted put very well! . I was thinking of making a coil of copper pipe to put in the campfire & heating a jerry of water that way. Then you save on fuel and noise etc

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 7th, 2015, 2:06 pm

Hi typhoeus.

thanks. I see what your saying but while the cars running at normal idle speed (800rpm) heating up the water, my chainsaw is blaring away any way doing the wood so the engine noise isn't a concern. As far as fuel goes its about 8min running time to get to 45° on a hot motor. This 8min running also acts like a good turbo timer cool down period, possibly anyway. :)

When I was in the market for a shower system, the problem I saw with units that require a fire to heat the water is the chance of possible fire restrictions and of course the weather. We've showered in the rain with our system several times. There's something about showering in the rain under a piping hot shower out in the open… lol.

In summer I'll often put a Solar Shower Bag out for the day (we all know how hot they can get) and on return I simply hang the Solar Shower Bag off the bullbar and everything else is as normal. No need to use the heat exchanger and run the car this way. I still pop the thermometer in to see where we're at with the temp.
This is that Thermometer btw.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » August 7th, 2015, 2:33 pm

Damn you...
My wife saw this... :irked:
Now guess what she wants next! :lol: :rolleyes:

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 7th, 2015, 5:25 pm

Ha ha…. Soz mate. Bet ya any money though you'll love it too. lol. Here, I'll make it worse for you. Not sure if you do any beach camping, but I have it set up all day at the front of the car as per normal if we are just hanging around camp for the day, just with a solar shower bag set up. The bag hanging off the bullbar (not flat on the ground getting to hot) I find it gets just enough warmth to have a nice fresh water rinse every time you get out of the salty water. (Great for the hair wifey lol) The pump stays switched on and being a pressure pump only activates when you slide the shower rose switch on. This rose (shower head) switch btw controls how much flow you want.
You may have noticed that I do have two other black lines on the Water Jerry, this was for when the two kids use to come camping with us. Our showers were 5ltrs each, which may not seem a lot but quite doable. The trick was making sure they checked. Don't know how many times the young girl would say. "I'm sorry,…. I thought it was this line." Yeah right… lol.
Cheers. :)

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » August 7th, 2015, 5:51 pm

At my age, I prefer motels! :lol:

Believe me that I "get it"!

I recall once on a fishing trip with Starlo & Buschy filming a TV advert for the Glind shower and tent thing (among others), and Buschy was looking 'a bit rough' after near on a week living rough on our fishing travels.

He went in the tent and had a shower and shave - And was "filmed" going in and when he came out, for "before" and "after" shots for the advert!.

But the two ladies on the trip (sound woman and wife of the ARB Owner) both shouted "Ooooh Look Its Russel Crow" for a laugh, when he stepped out! :lol: :lol:

Everyone laughed so hard it took another 4 goes filming to get the advert "in the can"....suitable for the TV.

Buschy looked like a drowned rat, bye the time it was done!.

I'm just too old for the camping caper these days - gimme a air con hotel room any day!.

The missus still thinks we are young enough to go camping! But she still thinks she's young and sexy, and doesn't look like Phyliss Diller on a bad hair day! Who am I to spoil her dreams.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 7th, 2015, 6:30 pm

Ba ha ha ha ha…. Too funny. Your as old as you feel they say. Its funny, we love both ends of the spectrum. 5 star resort and Billion Star camping. But if I had one day left on earth and had to choose between the two I'd easy go the Billion Stars to see me out.
Cheers.

Muckinhell
Need to get out more

Unread post by Muckinhell » August 7th, 2015, 9:40 pm

we just heat up some water and through in one of those cheap pressure pack weed sprayers. 2 of us easily shower in 5ltrs warm water, the nozzle is very water effciant and you can bring 5 ltrs of extra water with you as well and also use it to wash the car down or windows etc etc a multitude of uses.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 8th, 2015, 9:01 am

Muckinhell

Yes I know of several people that use this system and like it.

Just another thing with the Glind, (or similar system) if you're near a creek, river, dam, you can throw a length of garden hose from the water to the car inlet and draw endless water from there. Haven't done it but seen it done. Seemed to work well. :)

daveyboyjunior
Here and there

Unread post by daveyboyjunior » October 3rd, 2015, 5:41 pm

Hi there Viking!
I am interested in doing a similar thing using a heat exchanger, but is your water pumped through the 20l container or is it just convection/heat circulation that warms it through?
Davey

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 3rd, 2015, 6:03 pm

The Glind units have a pump & a heat exchanger (usually) under the bonnet daveyboyjr; the pump will self-prime & 'suck' water up a couple of metres or so from a creek or a bucket/jerry can before pushing it thru the heat exchanger; & if you feed it from a jerry thru the exchanger & back into the jerry it gets hot quicker & stays hot longer too; then once you are up to temp you feed it to the shower hose/head & it's more than adequate pressure & temp for a shower for most people... not one of those massage jet thingies by a long shot, but still accepted as a pretty good flow/pressure by most & at the temp of your choice!! :thumb:

We have one of the Glind heat exchangers/Shure-Flo pump set-ups too - works a treat! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » October 3rd, 2015, 6:16 pm

Dunno if this is 100% applicable, but I used to live and work out at the Houtman Abrolhos Islands on and off over a 15 year period!

There's not a lot of rain out there & the fresh water is caught & stored in a tank off the tin roof of the huts so not a lot of it to splash around and waste.
We had a LPG camp stove for cooking and were allowed a shower every 2nd day BUT... you got a 2 gallon bucket full for the whole shower. We had a galv 2 gal bucket in the shower cubicle, with a rope attached to the handle and the rope went over a pully in the ceiling beam.
On the door post were a series of holes drilled.
The end of the rope had a long 4 inch nail tied to the end...
What you did was heat a kettle full of water in the stove, pour half the kettle of boiling water into a plastic 2 gal bucket & top up to 1 gallon with cold water to make warm water for the shower.
The other half the kettle went into a second 2 gal bucket & again top up to 1 gallon with cold water.
Now you have 2 x 1 Gal buckets of water shower water!
Pour the first 1 gal into the galv bucket & haul it up above head height!
Undress and step into the cubicle.
In the bottom of the galv bucket was a showe head with a tap soldered into the bottom - now hanging above your head!
Open the tap and you have 1 Gallon warm water to wash with including your hair!.
When all lathered up & the first gallon runs out - lower bucket on rope by moving the nail in the post up or down!
Put the second 1 Gal bucket in and haul up again... use that gallon of warm water to rinse all the soap and shampoo etc off.
By doing that every second day - you keep use to 1 gallon per person per day!.
I see no reason you couldn't do this in a camp situation with a pulley over a tree branch & a kettle on the fire and a few plastic buckets - one with a shower head and tap glued into the bottom!.
Mightn't be fancy but would be cheap and probably effective enough!
3 star pickets and a piece of hessian for privacy on 3 sides.
As long as everyone gets rid of the salt water after a swim with a nice warm fresh water shower... it tends to keep tempers in check!.
Just to show i guess, that you CANm go camping in this great nation without needing $1K worth of heat ex-changer and shower tents etc etc
Half the fun of camping in my day was doing it rough - making do with what you had etc.
Don't get me wrong - I like all the new mod cons gear....
I just have trouble with believing in need a $120K cruiser, and $50K Kimberley Camper, $30K worth of ARB gear, before I can go bush and hold my head up among the other campers... because I have "all the right gear".
Sometimes I think we try too hard to "keep up with the Jones".
Some hose a camp fire & kettle 3 plastic buckets and a shower head and gate valve/tap, some rope and a battery drill and 4 inch nail - 3 star pickets and sheet of hessian if "privacy" is your thing!.
Might do until you can afford the whole heat exchanger & shower tent shebang.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » October 5th, 2015, 7:19 am

Hi Shann.
Wow!! Amazing little island. Looks unreal.
That seems, as I read it, a dam fancy set up!!. Almost sounds like a multi Story building site scenario. :D I get that may be a novel way at a permanent camp site situation like you described but employ all that gear for weekend or touring style of camping?? Me personally thinks not.
No keeping up with the Jones's here either. Own a second hand GU, sleep in Swags and use a tarp for shelter.
I've done all sorts of camping, at all levels at some point in my camping life. When I was younger I loved doing it rough too, right through to my mid thirties I guess, now in my 50's I like not so much the luxury, but the simplicity of equipment. I don't like things being a chore. If I can make a folding chair easier to fold I will… lol. We don't camp oven cook for the very fact of what’s involved. First night is always a prepped meal from home then usually jaffles after that. The biggest meal I’ll cook would be a bacon and egg brecky. We are more interested in enjoying the bush rather than putting effort into campsite tasks. Hence our shower set up. Which btw we rarely use the Pop-Up ensuite. Of course you can't escape some things requiring effort. I’ll tweak the crap out of any gear I buy to make it as simple as possible. :)
Cheers.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » October 5th, 2015, 2:49 pm

The cray fishers live out there on that little chunk of rock for around 5 months a year!

Originally the shacks were made from the barest essentials... often pallet timber that washed overboard from freighters and drifted up on the Island, and old used corrugated iron nailed to the timber frame.. Skillion roof.

We are talking 'basic hut' - no insulated lined walls!.

The shower bucket is common to all the huts..simple cheap easy and effective!.

Likewise the thunder boxes... just long timber beams, fastened down to the rocks, and cantilevered out over the edge of the Island.... A thunder box nailed on top originally - now days they have a frame and iron around them so they are all weather.

Candle and matches on the rail inside along with date roll.

And you park your ass on the khazi & bombs away meanwhile the sea breeze is chillin your cheeks...!. Look down and you see the rock crabs stealing off with your blind mullets!. :lol:

Oghh and along with the candle and matches for night time visits on the timber frame noggins - a margarine tub full of boondie sized pieces of coral!.

Took me a few days to work out what these are for!

On really windy days (sea breeze) the wind howls UP thru the thunderbox hole - so you wrap the date roll around some heavy coral boondies before using it - that way when you throw it down the hole after use the sea breeze howling wind doesn't blow it straight back up and around your ears inside the cubicle before it makes it down into the water. :lol:

Simple solutions to life's every day problems.

Despite the simple approach to things out there, slowly - more modern day amenities are creeping in - tin huts with satellite dishes on the roof and large screen TV's inside. helicopter or plane parked out back of the hut... The community generator runs about 16 hours a day for fridges and freezers.

Heck the odd guy, has even set up a flush loo for the wimmin's.

Even mobile phone towers out there now!.

Interesting place.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » October 5th, 2015, 3:29 pm

I'd love to see it. Looks an experience. Some things just shouldn't change hey?
:thumb: cheers mate.

Return to “Camping”