Anyone seen/tried/own a New Waeco CFX Fridge?

It's an amazing world, so get out there and enjoy it! Discussion about camping inside
emjan
Been here a while

Re: Anyone seen/tried/own a New Waeco CFX Fridge?

Unread post by emjan » November 20th, 2012, 5:30 am

Have a look in this month's 4WDAction, Ironman have a fridge/freezer that was voted best new appliance or whatever for 2011/2012. 50L for $895
Born again 4WD-er. 08 Navara D40 spain

Snapcatcher
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Snapcatcher » November 21st, 2012, 9:37 am

A quick heads up.

Anaconda has a sale 25% off storewide starting today until Sunday 25 Nov. For today and tomorrow the sale is only for 'Anaconda Club' members, but if you're not a club member you can sign up (its free) in store and get the discount. You can also put discounted items on lay buy.

Waeco CFX fridges are included in the sale, but Engels are not. I've just called and got them to hold a CFX 65 for me until I get there after work. 25% on big ticket items is a good saving.
2005 Nissan Patrol 4.8, Sahara bar, Runva winch, 2' lift on 33' KM2s

Written off - NM Pajero on 33's and some other good bits
Build thread - http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79366

Jay-C86
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jay-C86 » December 6th, 2012, 8:21 am

Hey guys,

Interesting reading some of the comments you have made about the new features and new look of the CFX range.

Probably the most common question is about the compressor... It is Waeco's own compressor motor in the new range. It isn't 'Waeco -formerly Danfoss'... The Primus Mammoth Series of fridges have this stamped on them though. The reason for moving away from the Danfoss compressor is due to the compressors no longer being German made, they are now Chinese made. Waeco didn't want to keep the compressor and risk having a drop in quality. Furthermore on that, being now Chinese made, the compressors are cheaper to buy, so every man and his dog and now throwing a 'Danfoss Compressor' in their fridge and comparing it to a Waeco, saying it uses the same compressor so it's same quality.

The lid on the CFX range is a major improvement. The lugs no longer being on the lid is great, made even better by the fact that they are now a metal, not the plastic which was prone to breaking. The new latch design is a while overdue, can't remember how many times I had to reattach them for customers who claimed it to be faulty.... Quick tip... close your lid properly, don't let it drop, them smash it with your fist to close it securely and it won't bloody happen....

The new drop down handles are another fatastic feature, meaning there is less issue of where to fit it in the back of the car or 4x4.

I'm also a fan of the new temperature range... Cf range would go between +10 to -18... CFX can be set from +10 to -22.
The USB charging port is a bit of overkill in my opinion, but given that a lot of people buying these fridges now are the families with 2.7 children who all have a phone, laptop, ipod, ipad and god knows what else... it does come in handy as a feature highly usable to these guys.

They do also draw quite a bit less power than the predecessor... roughly comparing 0.86 A/h to a new 0.74 A/h on average for most of the models is great. The 65DZ will obviously draw more.. closer to the 1.9 A/h due to being run as a -15 freezer for the testing, compared to the 5 degrees for the other models. 3 stage battery protection as in the predecessors is still a great quality feature, which some of the other well known brands still haven't clicked on to yet.

The bags still come in handy, and although some people may find them overpriced, you're getting a decent deal..... the bags for Engels START at $189 for the 40L model.

I know a lot of people out there are taking a liking to the ARB fridges... and unfortunately, there are others who even tempt the fates and go with an ALDI brand camping fridge, or other cheaper ones. Great price, but you're firdge will not run anywhere near as well, and good luck finding someone to service them. Not too sure how good the sevicing is one the ARB with how many service agents they have around... I do know that Waeco have some 240+ paid service agents Australia wide.

I'm still a big believer that the two safest options are either a Waeco or an Engel.... but given the decline in quality of the Engels over the last 12-24 months... and their determination not to make any vast improvements to a product which is slipping behind the times. Waeco is the best bet.

Hope some of the info I've rambled on about has been helpful. If not... better luck next time I guess

80Butts
Avid Poster

Unread post by 80Butts » December 6th, 2012, 10:46 am

I for one am hoping waeco have fixed a few issues to make the cfx more usable. I have a cf60 that i share with my dad and my brother in law. It mostly stays with me coz i use it the most but am considering purchasing another fridge that will live permanently in my 80. At this point it will be an engel or arb coz the waeco is annoying me no end. Using the waeco plug with the red fitting removed in a merit socket is no good. It isn't secure enough. My lid has been replaced due broken lug, the power switch has been replaced coz it decided not work. Common issue i hear. The battery protection circuitry seems to interfere too much even when set low, so after its been emptied of beer and other things that were nice and cold whilst driving, when the volts are a little low and you reload with say a carton of warmish beers, as soon as the cabinet temp goes up to say 6 or 7 deg. It goes into error mode and struggles from thereon in, until you go for a drive. That's all good if you only have one battery but most fourby owners have a second battery that they are happy to sacrifice in the quest for cold frothies. I've recently been away with mate who had an engel and a cf waeco running side by side. The engel just kept stuff cold, meanwhile both waeco fridges had a hernia at the thought of a refill of warm ones.
The cfx seems to have adressed the issue of having the display on the same end as the power inlet which means having the fridge on the slide in the back of the truck back to front..just stupid.
Hopefully the new transit bag allows the correct fitting of the 12volt plug without having to unzip one side of the bag or having to double the cord back on itself to clear the hole in the bag.
And the power consumption figures seem advantageous for all of them. Maybe correct when not being opened and everything is still cold from the days driving, but as soon as the compressor is running which is often at camp and ambient temps are warm, it's sucking away 4.6 or more amps a fair amount of the time.
Sorry for the rant, i just hope the cfx range lifts the bar coz from what i can see even if the engel is overpriced and getting long in the tooth, it does a better job over all.

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » December 6th, 2012, 7:11 pm

Great info from you 2 guys, keep it coming. Still can't decide what fridge to get........
Born again 4WD-er. 08 Navara D40 spain

rizzo 73
Here and there

Unread post by rizzo 73 » December 10th, 2012, 1:10 am

emjan wrote:Great info from you 2 guys, keep it coming. Still can't decide what fridge to get........
Emjan, I guess it comes down to what room you have and what you want/need to fit in it! Unless of course your still deciding between what make to buy?

I'm happy as with my CFX65, can fit a truck load of stuff in it and seems to cope with no probs at all.

The only one dissapointing thing for me is that, I have been told that Waeco are not bringing out their fridge slide until March next year! :mad: This of course wouldn't have been a problem for me if I hadn't just built my drawer system around the specifications (almost to the mm) of the genuine Waeco slide. Any of the universal slides I can buy that will fit the fridge, are too big to be mounted in the area I have. Anyway I will make my own slide now, just a pain in the butt.

Although if there is anyone that reads this and can help me or knows otherwise, can you please let me know.

Cheers Rizzo
I ain't been everywhere man, but I sure as hell wanna go there!

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » December 10th, 2012, 7:59 am

Waeco factory seconds sale might also help sway you:

http://www.getawaeco.com.au/

peterfromport
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by peterfromport » June 13th, 2016, 11:33 pm

Does anyone smart have a suggestion for fixing a broken lid hinge (small pin) on a Waeco CF50 cool freeze fridge ? Seems like a design fault as this little plastic pin does not seem real sturdy. I was thinking of drilling it out and inserting a similar diameter aluminium (or similar) pin. Not sure how much strength the lid has to accept this suggestion.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » June 14th, 2016, 11:23 am

Sounds to me you've got the right idea already, but if I could suggest to use one of those bolts that has a partial thread on the shaft like a 'Machine Bolt'. Cut the head off and insert the thread end into the hole you drill for extra grip around whatever glue you use. Maybe even locktite might work...... :)

peterfromport
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by peterfromport » June 15th, 2016, 11:10 pm

Thanks "the-viking" that sounds like the way to go mate. I'll get onto it soon. $100+ for a new lid (available freely from a number of sites) does not appeal one little bit. Cheers.

Return to “Camping”