Anyone seen/tried/own a New Waeco CFX Fridge?

It's an amazing world, so get out there and enjoy it! Discussion about camping inside
Deeptank
Part of the furniture

Anyone seen/tried/own a New Waeco CFX Fridge?

Unread post by Deeptank » October 25th, 2012, 9:16 pm

Anyone seen/tried/owned one of these?

http://www.waeco.com.au/cfx/default.asp

Prado 120, ARB Bar, Air Locker, Rock Sliders, Winch, 2" Lift, Snorkel, BFG AT's, IPF fogs, Max Air, GME TX3440/6100, Rhino-Rack/Bars, Awning, Garmin GPS's, Waeco CF40, Dual-battery, Storage System

oncedisturbed
Part of the furniture

Re: Anyone seen/tried/own a New Waeco CFX Fridge?

Unread post by oncedisturbed » October 26th, 2012, 4:43 am

not yet but keen to

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » October 26th, 2012, 9:46 pm

Saw one at the field days last weekend. The new lid is a million times better than the original lid.

smwhiskey
Been here a while

Unread post by smwhiskey » October 28th, 2012, 2:38 pm

Havn't seen one yet. But considering they were selling off the 60l Waeco's for $1000 (with a free bag) :) , the CFX models would need to be pretty damn impressive to make me sell the 60l and replace it.
2003 NP Exceed Pajero with a bit of lift, a large plastic straw to breathe through and hunk of steel on the front with a few bits and pieces hanging off it.

02-SR5
Need to get out more

Unread post by 02-SR5 » October 28th, 2012, 6:34 pm

I was looking at one in BCF today.

100 times better than the old model. The lid looks a million bucks compared to the last one.

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » October 28th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Yep, I know what you guys mean about the lids on the older models.
The hinge lug on one side of my CF60 lid cracked off on our Simpson trip last month. I suspect the corrugations helped it to let go as it did not appear to break off whilst opening the lid. Thankfully Waeco honored warranty and replaced the lid no questions asked.
Dan.

Spinxy
Avid Poster

Unread post by Spinxy » October 29th, 2012, 1:57 pm

saw your post on here the other day and they look quite impressive, durable, with new features.

couldn't resist and had to go have a look at them, went to local anaconda store to have a look

they are so much more rugged than the old waeco and i will definitely be getting one. i will wait until they come on special before i look at buying one

have been looking at a fridge for a while now and think i shall get one they come on a decent special :)

harts
Been here a while

Unread post by harts » November 1st, 2012, 10:19 am

the new waeco DOESNT have a danfoss compressor. I personally would be holding onto the CF series fridges till these have proven themselves.
I also just had to get a new lid for my CF60. Waeco is no longer making any CF fridges at all so spare parts oneday may become an issue.

Deeptank
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Deeptank » November 1st, 2012, 4:51 pm

The first thing I also noticed noticed was the 'genuine' (WTF?) Waeco compressor - i.e. not Danfoss, which is hard-as-nails, tried and tested etc... Then again, that's just progress. I have no reason to doubt Waeco's ability to build a great compressor and they still back it up with a 5-year warranty. This whole shebang would've been on the test bench for years, taking all manner of abuse.

As for the rest of the fridge, it seems very well made, the new lid sure if a boon and the power consumption sepcs are pretty ridiculous. Looks like they're now the one's to chase... Engel hasn't evolved for about a decade and ARB also have some catching up to do. And speaking of catching, the catch in the ARB fridge lid is seriously flawed. What were they thinking...

Still got my 7-year old Waeco CF-40 ticking away just fine (original lid, never serviced), but a 50 litre one would suit me just that little bit better. These CFX's might just spring me into action - come January sales... ;-)
Prado 120, ARB Bar, Air Locker, Rock Sliders, Winch, 2" Lift, Snorkel, BFG AT's, IPF fogs, Max Air, GME TX3440/6100, Rhino-Rack/Bars, Awning, Garmin GPS's, Waeco CF40, Dual-battery, Storage System

rizzo 73
Here and there

Unread post by rizzo 73 » November 16th, 2012, 2:28 am

Actually just purchased myself a CFX65 at the Perth 4wd show last weekend.

I have been checking out fridges for a while now, and had the luxury of borrowing an Engel on a recent trip. The Engel seemed to perform quite well dont get me wrong, but was a heavier unit to lug around. Main thing I learnt was room or lack thereof, so this was a big thing within my purchase, I think the Engel was about 35ltr unit. I ended up going for the straight fridge OR freezer model because we got sick of having to restock the fridge with fresh beers all the time and figured I dont really need a dual zone fridge/freezer model. Instead vacume seal your meat etc to keep it fresh in a fridge situation. Vacume sealed stuff will keep good as for a couple of weeks!

Other thing was the CFX65-DZ was over double the stated Ah/h rating @ 1.9 whereas the CFX65 is only 0.85 Ah/h. The new units seem much sturdier than the previous models and power consumption is much better. The new style lid will actually detatch itself if pushed, rather than simply snapping off! And the bung plug in the bottom of the fridge compartment makes for an easy clean out if something was to spill. Still nice and light as I have found the previous Waeco models.

All in all, I guess time will tell, but very happy with the purchace none the less.
I ain't been everywhere man, but I sure as hell wanna go there!

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » November 16th, 2012, 10:14 am

I wonder if they are part of the reason Waeco CDF35's kits (inc bag and 240v charger) are on special at SuperCheap now. Looks like they might have almost entered my price range at $550.

The handle it opens with seems a but crummy, but I guess they've been out for long enough that it must work UP

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » November 16th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Interesting to read all your comments. We looked at Waeco fridges at Rays outdoors & I thought the exterior was a bit cheap & flimsy & didn't look like it would last. My local 4WD workshop had a few in a corner awaiting repair, he said he gets them all the time where the compressor fails. I'd been warned off Engel because they were supposed to use more power & the freezer only ran at -4c rather than -8c. I noted with interest Deeptank's comments about the ARB. The ones I looked at seemed fine & the 60L was what we decided to get, as well as having it recommended by a few people.
Born again 4WD-er. 08 Navara D40 spain

Fathom
Here and there

Unread post by Fathom » November 19th, 2012, 8:20 am

I got the new dual zone a few weeks ago. Seems sturdy enough for me. Bit hard vs my old fridge to get use to setting the freezer temp rather than the fridge. I have used it now as a fridge freezer combo, and just as a fridge. As a fridge freezer, it was great. (I was a bit dubious looking when I was looking at how it divided the compartments, but works well, Had a bit of trial and error with temp setting whith the divider out trying to use it as a fridge only. But my beer (and food) stayed cold.

I really liked the look of the new primus dual zones too, but they were a bit long to go in my drawer system, hence going Waeco. But all in all, happy with the decision.

NB.. I think you will find the compressors say.. "genuine Waeco, formally Danfos".. I was told they are the same, a different name only.. Either way the compressor has a five year warranty. So long as they honour that.. If there is a problem. should be all good.

They didnt have the cover bags when I bought mine. Only for the old models, priced one up the other day.. $165 was a bit steep for a bag.. So if you can.. get a a package, although it seems they are only giving them out free with run out/old lines to make room for the new.

Waza27
Here and there

Unread post by Waza27 » November 19th, 2012, 9:47 pm

i may have missed it somewhere but how much are we talking for a 60ltr model?
The Minute You Stop Living - You Start Dying.

ntnewnymore
Been here a while

Unread post by ntnewnymore » November 19th, 2012, 9:55 pm

i wish they were cheaper... i cant justify a grand for something that chills not a lot

Return to “Camping”