Are Swags to hot for Cape York ??

It's an amazing world, so get out there and enjoy it! Discussion about camping inside
Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Re: Are Swags to hot for Cape York ??

Unread post by Ezookiel » August 8th, 2011, 10:44 pm

all swags aren't created equal.
There are swags with gauze at head and foot as well as full length gauze tops (the Brumby XL by Downunder swags is one of those) so when camping where it's hot you'll have all the ventilation you could ever want. If it's pending rain, can use the canvas top but not zip it shut, that still gives foot/head ventilation and hot air escapes easily upward out the unzipped sides of the canvas lid.
Alternatively still leave the canvas fully open and set up the swag under whatever shelter you've put up in camp - for me it's either the roll-out awning on the vehicle, or the "living area" that we usually create for our campsites - a place to cook etc - by stringing up tarps for shelter. The good thing about swags is they're so quick to set up, you can easily leave it rolled up away until the covered living area isn't being used, then just roll it out when you're ready to go to bed.

But if you buy a swag with no foot and head ventilation, and only small gauze areas on the top - and there are plenty around like that unfortunately - then you may well find them too hot and stuffy for tropical areas. A good swag will allow you to shut off the gauze at foot and head with storm windows/shooter's windows, and then it will also be warm in cold places too. Spend good money and buy the right swag and you'll be able to use it anywhere.

marty_leash
Been here a while

Unread post by marty_leash » August 9th, 2011, 10:40 pm

MICK_ wrote:Dome swag, head vent open, top open, sitting on a stretcher.

Stretcher gets you off the ground where all the little nasty's are. I've been setting up like that for the past few years and find it excellent. Just gotta find a stretcher roughly the same size as your swag.

Good Luck mate.
I have something similiar to this setup. No swag, just a stretcher with a tent over the top. Talking about it make me want to go set it up in the backyard for a snooze, its that comfortable.

Tentcot Oversize

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=Tentc ... 73&bih=578

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » August 10th, 2011, 11:35 am

Yeh well it all depends on what you consider a swag.

Most of the things called "swags" these days are not what the traditionalists would call "a swag", they are realy personal micro-tents.

From my point of view a swag is an alternative to a sleeping bag...more or less a sheet of canvas with sheets and blankets bassed bedding.

And there lies the advantage, the ability to add and shed layers of bedding in response to the weather.

If you are going out west like Mt Isa, over the day the temperature can swing between 4 or 5 degrees pre dawn to near 30 mid day at some times of the year, so you may be going to bed while it is still reasonably warm and it may get quite cold by the time you get up.....a traditional swag allows you to cope with this.

Anywhere in the north in winter the night time tempeatures can vary widely, one day quite pleasant, the next quite cold.....likewise during the night it can be quite warm and drop in temperature quite rapidly as a cold front comes thru.

No single sleeping bag offers enough flexibility.

as far as shelter that is a different story.

cheers

bigfoot123
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by bigfoot123 » August 10th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Hi tent cot gets you of the ground they come in a double you can open them up if you get hot or close it up for privacy tarp or awning of the side of your truck will keep you dry

dazmit
Here and there

Unread post by dazmit » August 12th, 2011, 7:25 pm

Thanks Guys

Forgot to mention that we have Burke & wills Coolabah dome swags.

Cheers

Darryl
2004 V6 single cab with goodies

Return to “Camping”