What gear to use?

Getting un-lost is half the fun
T90 USSR
Been here a while

Unread post by T90 USSR » February 8th, 2007, 8:01 am

Davo1 wrote:U R a nut T90! Great setup with some innovative ideas. Good luck with the software hunt. R U looking for turn by turn nav s/ware for the PC or for PDA? Plenty PDA stuff around but must say I havent come across PC one yet.
yeh it would have to be PC, iv seen heaps of PDA stuff as well, I think my last bet would be to get a PDA emulator or a windows CE emulatror to run the PDA stuff of that....
GQ, SWB, 4" lift, 2" blocks, 35" MTR's, Diff locks, sway bar disconect, extractors, PC computer with 7" LCD touch screen and GPS

Patrolling Paddy
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Patrolling Paddy » February 10th, 2007, 8:21 am

Talked to some guys yesterday and it looks like that if I want to run OziExplorer I will need to run a laptop as apparently a PDA won't run it. One of the suggestions was to run a tablet (almost a laptop but the screen turns and folds back on itself so it lays flat and allows touch screen operation) or a small screen laptop of about 12"screen to save space and just run power from an invertor. Sounds ok but now I just have to come up with the funds.

Davo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Davo1 » February 10th, 2007, 9:26 am

Patrolling Paddy wrote:Talked to some guys yesterday and it looks like that if I want to run OziExplorer I will need to run a laptop as apparently a PDA won't run it. One of the suggestions was to run a tablet (almost a laptop but the screen turns and folds back on itself so it lays flat and allows touch screen operation) or a small screen laptop of about 12"screen to save space and just run power from an invertor. Sounds ok but now I just have to come up with the funds.
Oziexplorer has a version for pocket pc PDA's. It's called oziexplorer CE. Here is the link and the trial version of it.

http://www.oziexplorer3.com/ozice/oziexplorerce1.html

Ian
100 series Turbo-diesel Std, front & rear lockers, 12000lb Tigerz11 winch with plasma, 33" muddies

Visit my Shed and the 100 series Cruiser

Rabs
Here and there

gps

Unread post by Rabs » February 10th, 2007, 10:39 am

Hey Paddy, I run my lappy using the 12 volt power supply that comes with the laptop. I ran some 12v power from the second battery into the glovebox which i hard wired to a double cigarette socket, one socket runs the lappy and the other runs the GPS..ran the wires under carpet to power the lappy which sits velcroed to a stable table under passenger seat..then just a matter of using a 7" tft screen mounted to dash....can also sit lappy on drawers at back of vehicle where i have additional sockets for playing DVD's for the kids when campin..The 12v power from the adaptor has always worked a treat and draws bugger all current as after all the power for lappies and desktop PC's run on 12 volt , the power supplies drop the voltage to 12 anyway

cheers

Rabs
The liver is evil and it must be punished...Alchohol doesn't make you fat it makes you lean......against cars,bars,poles etc

Patrolling Paddy
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Patrolling Paddy » February 10th, 2007, 9:28 pm

The 12v power from the adaptor has always worked a treat and draws bugger all current as after all the power for lappies and desktop PC's run on 12 volt , the power supplies drop the voltage to 12 anyway

cheers

Rabs[/quote]

That would have been my first power option but mine is like 15 or 16v just to be a pain. but cheers. I'll keep ya's posted as to how I get along

Patrolling Paddy
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Patrolling Paddy » February 10th, 2007, 9:30 pm

Davo1 wrote:Oziexplorer has a version for pocket pc PDA's. It's called oziexplorer CE. Here is the link and the trial version of it.

http://www.oziexplorer3.com/ozice/oziexplorerce1.html

Ian

I'll have to look into this aswell as it could work and will keep space down. do you use this system? how similar is it to the normal version?

Davo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Davo1 » February 11th, 2007, 9:44 am

Unfortunately I don't use it as I have a T3 palm pilot PDA which runs a different operating system. I am waiting for the palm version but have heard that this won't happen.

From what I understand though it is very similar to the PC version. Just remember that you will need a fairly large capacity memory card to put the maps on!
100 series Turbo-diesel Std, front & rear lockers, 12000lb Tigerz11 winch with plasma, 33" muddies

Visit my Shed and the 100 series Cruiser

-AJ-
Here and there

Unread post by -AJ- » February 12th, 2007, 9:44 pm

Got my PDA mounted on the dashboard with TomTom and OzieExplorer connected to a Bluetooth Sirf-III GPS. Works fine, but the screen is a bit small.

I also take a laptop with bluetooth (so it can use the GPS) and wireless broadband but the kids use that for movies and games. We can put the laptop in the boot of the car and then the sound with an FM transmitter to the car radio, to the 2 speakers in the barn doors! Awning on the roof rack at the back and we've got our own cinema. BTW, got also a tv-card for the laptop.

Next project is mounting the laptop in the car (it fits precisely in the door pocket) and then a 7" touchscreen on the dashboard. Not sure yet if it's going to be an Xenarc or Liliput screen......

Return to “GPS Tech”