What gear to use?

Getting un-lost is half the fun
Patrolling Paddy
Part of the furniture

What gear to use?

Unread post by Patrolling Paddy » February 7th, 2007, 10:20 am

Gooday all
I'm currently running a Garmin Etrex. So far it does everything I need, but I would like to run my Oziexplorer program while in the car. My question is what gear do I need.
Obviously GPS, software cables etc... but the bit I'm not too sure on is the computer/monitor side of things. I would like to get a remote screen so I don't have my laptop taking up dash unless I need to operate it, also is it possible to run the program through say a PDA or something? The next hurdle is power supply, I have been told that I can't run the laptop from the car without the risk of power surges killing the computer.
I have yet to find someone who can tell me 100% as the computer store 'think' and the electronics stores 'think' , car audio/visual guys 'think' and I can't afford to pay for thoughts as I want to get it right.
I would like to keep the system as portable as possible so it can be changed between vehicles and taken out for security.
I'm sure someone has done this before so please share your knowledge as I'm sure I'm not the only one looking to do this.

Cheers

Strahan
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Strahan » February 7th, 2007, 10:31 am

I have been running my laptop thru an invertor with no problems for a whil now. True its an oldie and if it blows up then its no big deal. Xenarc, Lilliput are the two main monitors that people seem to using.
Carnetix make proper power supplies which do start-ups and shutdowns for you. Have a look at MP3Car lots of info there about this sort of thing.

T90 USSR
Been here a while

Unread post by T90 USSR » February 7th, 2007, 10:58 am

I run an actual Full sized PC in my patrol and built custom shock absorbers out of rubber for the Hard drive, Customised case, with a Customised box around it, with a ***** load of fans in it. It works fantastic and can even have it on when i go 4WD with the car jumping all over the place. (set up custom switch to ignition so when car turns off, computer shuts down) and also power up switchers on the middle console where the hand brake is.

I was looking at getting map software (download it :D ) but cant find any online and dont want to spend $1000+ for software. (best one I found was the Sensis one)

I set it all up so i use a 8" touch screen monitor on my dash, i can do everything on it, Type and navigate the PC (only with monitor), along with watching movies, MP3's, games and now im looking at getting a wireless modem from the new telstra network, so i have the net with me all over Australia (well 98% of Australia)

This is what i needed to build

PC - (p4 chip, 500g HD, 512ram, 128mb Video card, MB, HDTV tuner card, Sound card, Case, Power supply)
- windows XP media centre (different version of windows designed to run of a media centre)
-6m USB cable
-7m Power cable
-10m data cable
-2x led's (one red one green)
-1 Relay
-2 switcher
-2 fuses 10a and 2a
-8" touch screen monitor
Antenna, (mounted under passenger seat)
- Kenwood car amp 200w
- speakers
- 500w power inverter

For box (this box can hold a ***** load of weight on top of it, the most i have had on top was about 200kg in gym weights )
-3m of Timber (the one they build house walls out of)
-Floor boards (the one they use in houses before they put tiles on)
-Carpet (marine carpet is best of a 4wd)
-screws
-small nails for carpet
-thin draw wood (the one they use at the bottom of draws)
-Big jumbo sized Car was Sponge (this is the secret to absorb most of the shock in the car)

I Also designed the box so when you fold the back seats down its all level, like a tray. Only half of the box is used with computer stuff the other half is like a draw set-up that I keep all my recovery gear neatly tucked away at all times.

all up this cost me about $2500 to put together no labour as I did it all. (buying the computer parts cost the most and i already had most of the matirial like amp inverter and so on, Not incl. in price)

I can also write custom software and rewire up all of the cars components to work off the PC, like lights, heater, A/C, fans and so on... But you have to draw the line somewhere as people already think im a nut for putting a PC in the car in the first place.

Things im looking at doing to it soon is adding GPS (as soon as I find free Software)
Night vision Cameras to see under/Behind/in-front the car when I go 4WD
And internet
GQ, SWB, 4" lift, 2" blocks, 35" MTR's, Diff locks, sway bar disconect, extractors, PC computer with 7" LCD touch screen and GPS

T90 USSR
Been here a while

Unread post by T90 USSR » February 7th, 2007, 11:03 am

pic of the touch screen

GQ, SWB, 4" lift, 2" blocks, 35" MTR's, Diff locks, sway bar disconect, extractors, PC computer with 7" LCD touch screen and GPS

Pr.J.Chilton
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Pr.J.Chilton » February 7th, 2007, 11:15 am

got ne pix of the computer & the storage

T90 USSR
Been here a while

Unread post by T90 USSR » February 7th, 2007, 12:09 pm

ill take the next pic when i go home, im at work at the moment. I just had that one uploaded to photobucket.

Pr.J.Chilton
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Pr.J.Chilton » February 7th, 2007, 12:29 pm

kewl no probs

Patrolling Paddy
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Patrolling Paddy » February 7th, 2007, 1:35 pm

'T90 USSR' so with a touch screen and XP media on my laptop I should be able to tuck the laptop away and control it from the touch screen? Will the touch screen operate with normal XP? How is the screen attatched in your rig? I need to be able to transfer between two vehicles.
In terms of power supplies I was looking at an inverter anyway and as far as I know, between the battery in the car leveling the power and the battery in the laptop leveling the power as well it would be ok (I was told otherwise though), I think with a pure sine inverter it should be pretty safe.

ed.
Been here a while

Unread post by ed. » February 7th, 2007, 2:14 pm

Make sure your laptop is not so old that it doesn't have USB.
Most touch screens need a USB port to report to the PC where you touched the screen.

T90 USSR
Been here a while

Unread post by T90 USSR » February 7th, 2007, 2:55 pm

Patrolling Paddy wrote:'T90 USSR' so with a touch screen and XP media on my laptop I should be able to tuck the laptop away and control it from the touch screen? Will the touch screen operate with normal XP? How is the screen attatched in your rig? I need to be able to transfer between two vehicles.
In terms of power supplies I was looking at an inverter anyway and as far as I know, between the battery in the car leveling the power and the battery in the laptop leveling the power as well it would be ok (I was told otherwise though), I think with a pure sine inverter it should be pretty safe.
The touch screen is mounted to the Console with a bracket and screws that come with it, i would say its not something that you can just pick up and move,. you can run the touch screen with normal windows XP you dont need media centre.

But the problem you will have is that icons might be a bit to small and will also be hard to change songs as you drive. media centre has large buttons ands itss designed to run on a smaller screen and really really quick and easy navigation trough you media library.

when you buy a touch screen look out for screen resolution. dont get anything that cat do 1024x768 natively and also make sure you get one with good viewing angles as this is the most important thing when your in the car. ( you know when you look at your laptop on a 180 degree angle and you cant really see it, well some cheap and nasty LCD screens have a view angle of like 60 degrees so if your not looking directly at it your screwed. My one has 160 degree which works well.

T90 USSR
Been here a while

Unread post by T90 USSR » February 7th, 2007, 6:04 pm

as promised the rest of the pictures of the setup.

Earle
Here and there

Unread post by Earle » February 7th, 2007, 6:44 pm

Have a look at

www.vmscarpc.com.au

Much easier to setup and has everything connected and takes up less room in the vehicle.

Patrolling Paddy
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Patrolling Paddy » February 7th, 2007, 7:39 pm

I need to keep the system portable as I have two off road vehicles, so depending on where I'm going and who I'm going with will depend on which 4B I take. I think I might look at an addition to my current laptop setup instead of a stand alone vehicle dedicated install, but cheers for the info.

Davo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Davo1 » February 7th, 2007, 9:27 pm

U R a nut T90! Great setup with some innovative ideas. Good luck with the software hunt. R U looking for turn by turn nav s/ware for the PC or for PDA? Plenty PDA stuff around but must say I havent come across PC one yet.
100 series Turbo-diesel Std, front & rear lockers, 12000lb Tigerz11 winch with plasma, 33" muddies

Visit my Shed and the 100 series Cruiser

Courts InSession
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Courts InSession » February 8th, 2007, 12:38 am

There is quite a bit of free gps software available. Here is a link to a site with a list of most of them: http://www.maps-gps-info.com/fgpfw.html

Ive played with a few of them, Kashmir 3d appears to be the best of the bunch, give it a go see what you think.

Return to “GPS Tech”