Welcome to the GPS forums

Getting un-lost is half the fun
Brendan
4WD Action Staff

Welcome to the GPS forums

Unread post by Brendan » February 2nd, 2007, 3:05 pm

In this section/sub-forum you can post all of your GPS-related topics, be it how to set your GPS up for maximum efficiency, what unit to buy, or how to mount it in the car, you've come to the right place.
Brendan Seymour - Editor
4WD Action

94 4Runner; Lexus V8, 33in MTZs, barwork, lights, locked, etc
72 Rangie; 351, C4, 37s, gearing, GQ diffs, Air Lockers, chopped.

Patrolman Pat
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Patrolman Pat » February 2nd, 2007, 4:45 pm

Great idea Brendan.
Don't follow me. I won't make it.

Courts InSession
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Courts InSession » February 2nd, 2007, 10:28 pm

Good to see a new sub forum, seems to be plenty of GPS related topics going around, be good for them to have a home!

Les Addison
Avid Poster

Google Earth question

Unread post by Les Addison » February 3rd, 2007, 9:53 pm

Great to see a GPS section.
Maybe some one could answer this, in very not technical lingo . I have a Magellan Meridian Colour , with Disc Aus sreets and Tracks Vi .I have also the free Google earth. I can create routes on the DAST mapping system and up load them to the Sd card. I can create routes on google, using either the measuring tool, or by stringing way points together,and saving them to a named folder. I was wondering if they coud be uploaded to the gpsr . Be gentle with the terms ..Les :o

Grimsey
Need to get out more

Unread post by Grimsey » February 3rd, 2007, 10:23 pm

The data from google earth would have to be converted using mapsend so the gps can recognise it, if its possible to do that with the google earth data. i haven't tried with mine but it would be the only way i could see you to get it to work.
I drive an 80 who needs mods

Earle
Here and there

Unread post by Earle » February 4th, 2007, 8:31 pm

Hey Brendan

Earle here mate..If i can help at all in here with any questions just give me a yell.

I pop in here from time to time.

Regs

Earle

Les Addison
Avid Poster

How to convert Google tracks to Magellan

Unread post by Les Addison » February 12th, 2007, 5:28 pm

Image Using the Google free version. Down load the latestFree version of GPSBable-1.2.3. http://www.gpsbabel.org/download.htmlThen you have to learn to create a track using waypoints , colours can be changed .Names can be added in different colours. When the route has been created ,it has to be saved into,My places. Idividual waypoints can be turned on or off, by using the tick boxes, or all of them on or of by using the the tick box next to the file name .Start GE. Select the required Route file, tick the + sign to open all the way points , double click the name to bring the route up on the screen, as seen in the pic. Right click the route name ,save as , put it into Gpsbable where it is easy to access. Reduce GE to the task bar. Open Gpsbable,where you will find the saved Google kml file . Open the Bable GUI file. On the drop down menu, change the format to GE KML language. ( Click Start file open icon.)for that text box, Click on The GE kml file you created, it enters its address into that text box. In the format section , select Magellan Sd files for Meridian. Click( Start file open icon).for that text box. Type the name of the file in that text box, click save. In the( WHAT) Section , Tick waypoints. Click Let's Go button..Then, OK.. the successfull kml to Magellan box . Close that window . Find the converted file in Bable, hilite the file , then copy it to an SD card via a reader. Close all windows .. Install the SD card to the gps, go to card utilities.> click (Load wp/route), will show new name of wp/route, click on name to load all waypoints into User waypoint list in correct order of route. Will start another post to describe how to down load these waypoints to DAST, to create a route, to upload back into Meridian, to be activated on map screen.. Les Note GPSBable will convert GE kml language to almost any type of GPS..

weaponlux
Been here a while

Unread post by weaponlux » March 14th, 2007, 11:13 am

Free google earth is a great thing but like most "free" things in net land there are limits to what you can do with it. There is gps compatibility with google earth BUT its not available in the free version. (have a look at all the pull down menus, you will find gps thing)
How ever there is a way you can use google earth to your aid. There is along the bottom of the screen eastings and northings commonly known as 6 figure map references.
As long as your gps is set to the correct datum then your 6figure map references will help you.
I have a very good book on GPS called GPS Vehicle Navigation in Australia by Robert Pepper from Boiling Billy Publications @ http://www.boilingbilly.com.au
The book has its own "Companion web site" also, http://www.gpsvehiclenavigation.com
The book is pretty complicated to start with, but so is the subject matter. Robert has done a fairly good job of taming it down to understandable English.
Good luck
if your still moving you aint stuck
Dont tell me the sky\'s the limit
with foot prints on the moon

olmo40
Here and there

Unread post by olmo40 » May 10th, 2008, 1:30 pm

Regardless of what sort of GPS you own / buy ,the most important thing is to practice with it before you go any where you seriously need it .

Return to “GPS Tech”