iPad mini 2 - will it run Hema maps? Hotspot? Ram mount?

Getting un-lost is half the fun
Ln65 pig rig
Here and there

iPad mini 2 - will it run Hema maps? Hotspot? Ram mount?

Unread post by Ln65 pig rig » November 1st, 2015, 11:18 am

Hi action buddy's,

Trying to set up the gps section on my rig. heres my questions;

1. Can I use a iPad mini 2 wifi with hema maps app
2. Can I use my phone as a hotspot
3.id like to RAM MOUNT it. Is that the best all round way to mount them
Not to have a crack is un-australian... I fluke ***** daily!!!

boobook
Part of the furniture

Re: iPad mini 2 - will it run Hema maps? Hotspot? Ram mount?

Unread post by boobook » November 10th, 2015, 3:19 pm

The answers are
1)Yes it will run to a degree but the wifi versions of Ipads don't have a GPS, so you would have to buy a device like a badelf bluetooth GPS which is a non optimal solution. Without that it will not have a moving map.
2)Depending on the phone, probably if it is a smart phone. Any Android will do it and any iphone 4 or after ( i think).
3)Dunno

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » June 29th, 2017, 7:19 am

Responding to the Ram Mount question. I have two Ram Mounts. One for the phone and one for the GoPro. Best mounting system on the market. Bloody brilliant in fact.

Can't help you with the other questions but those questions raise my question. Is it true or not that dedicated GPS units or Navigation units have way better Satilite receptors than iPads or iPhones making them more reliable? I have an iPhone 5 and it didn't want to play on my recent trip to the Barrington Tops. The iPad wasn't interested either. This was once we got to the top that is.

I'm looking at and researching the latest Hema Hx-1. Iv had to much negative on the VMS units and my brief experience with one didn't go well. Hate the maps.

I believe the latest Hema has more detail when it comes to tracks than the previous versions. Not sure if this is true or not, further investigations needed. What was holding me back from the Hema's originally was I couldn't get confirmation on wether or not they showed UTM Grid references. As it turns out the Hx-1 does. Not only does it but it shows it clearly on the navigating screen. This is invaluable when using in correlation with Topo Maps for quick referencing. It's this fact that the Hema is back in my scopes. In regards to the Hema's supplied mount, it looks strong enough but if it proves not to be then I'll be setting up a Ram Mount for it. Not sure if the supplied mount will sit the unit to far back on the screen in the Patrol??

My current set up is an old 5" TomTom and a Magellan Explorist XL. The TomTom is old now and has a few running issues and is not updated. The Magellan is old as well, it's good but is a bit laggy, but very precise. It's just time for an upgrade. Cheers. :)

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Unread post by Dmaxqld » July 1st, 2017, 1:34 pm

Compare a sat phone handset with a smart phone. The sat phone has a large aerial which is the difference in sat performance. The chip or smarts inside would be the same.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » July 2nd, 2017, 6:18 am

Hi Dmaxgld.
Have I interperated your response right? Are you sort of saying that if a smart phone could have the option for a plug in antena, it would pretty much be on par with a dedicated Sat Phone? So in saying that, Hema maps on smart phones/iPads/devices as is would not be as reliable as the actual dedicated Hema units, correct? Surely the Hema Sat antena is a more sensitive antena than smart devices. I say this because my current TomTom and Magellan Explorist units stay in contact with the satilites where as my iPhone gives up and is not reliable. At this stage I'm going down the path of buying the Hema Hx-1. The reviews are to good. Like I said, the main reason for not having got one by now was I hadn't had confirmation on whether the units displayed UTM Grid References, now I know they do I'm sold.
Cheers. :thumb:

Return to “GPS Tech”