HEMA android app reviews?

Getting un-lost is half the fun
tadpole
Here and there

HEMA android app reviews?

Unread post by tadpole » April 5th, 2015, 11:51 am

Has anyone on here used the HEMA app for android? The reviews on Google Play are a bit up and down and it sounds like they update popular 4wd areas (Vic highlands, FNQ for example) but are a bit behind in their updates for the less popular areas (possibly WA). I have a couple of free mapping apps (Memory Map & Backcountry Navigator) which are pretty good, but is it worth the $29.99 for the HEMA app? Considering their standalone navigators are upwards of $600.

StumpyB
Here and there

Re: HEMA android app reviews?

Unread post by StumpyB » April 5th, 2015, 9:56 pm

From what I was reading the other night, once you've paid the $30, it comes with X amount of maps installed. Then if you want other areas you buy them as you need.

I was tossing up between Hema and Mudmaps for a couple hours, and after a few hours I bought Mudmaps2 for $99, same price as Hemas offline app they offer to Apple users. I'm pretty happy with Mudmaps so far but only dabbled in it the last couple days. Would be good if one of the big 4wd magazines or telly shows did a unbiased side by side of the 2 apps.

So I can't help you further than that.

tadpole
Here and there

Unread post by tadpole » April 6th, 2015, 8:22 am

Thats ok, thanks for the response. Have put this question on 3 different 4wd forums and 2 fishing forums and had limited replies. I honestly thought more people would have used it and would be able to give more reviews. My brother used it last week to get to the tip of Cape York and said it was great there....but I live in the middle of the WA outback so not sure if it would be any good to me. I might look further into Memory Map and see what it can offer and at what price first before getting HEMA.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » April 6th, 2015, 11:14 am

You had best read the comments from some members about Mudmaps before buying it. It is not as good as made out apparently.
Do a forum search and read the related comments. Then you know what you are getting and possible problems/deficiencies.

st_za
Here and there

Unread post by st_za » April 15th, 2015, 5:03 pm

It's a bit late and a long read but hopefully you can get some value from this.

The Hema app is a digital map and not much more whereas the Hema devices can do turn-by-turn navigation. Of the apps' features, I rarely use the POI finder, occasionally use the ability to set and record tracks and frequently use the ability to measure the distance between points.

The Hema map is excellent with good detail in the areas that I have traveled (the East coast) but it doesn't seem like it has been updated recently because on rare occasions, a closed dirt road still shows on the map or a new road does not. The Hema topographical map is pretty good quality.

You can view Hema's maps along with one of three others (provided by HERE maps): Street, satellite or terrain. All of them are raster maps (like a digital image) which is generally more difficult to read and doesn't render as sharp as vector maps. It would have been awesome if you could import your own maps... But you can't.

I found HERE's maps accurate but not terribly detailed compared to their excellent vector maps in the new Here navigator app (which does offline voice navigation - for free). The terrain map looks like a soft green watercolor version of the street map with very little terrain info, making it a bit useless to me.

The app runs best on a tablet with a large high resolution screen (so you can view more of the map around your position without zooming) although I have run it on a 4.7" Galaxy Alpha without dramas. All of my devices have had fast processors and heaps of RAM so I can't comment on the performance but in saying that, it still takes 0.5 to 3 seconds to re-render when zooming in and out on my (blazingly fast) Nexus 6. You will need 3-4Gb of free space for Hema's maps and to download some offline data of the others.

The app's biggest problem is how it switches from one map to another when zooming, for example selecting Hema + Satellite maps displays satellite maps at its highest zoom and when zooming out, switches to another satellite map-set, then to a topographical map, then to Hema's. Hema + Terrain and Hema + Street is a similar game of map-lucky-dip. It is frustrating when you want to keep seeing a particular map and just want a more or less zoomed view of that map.

If you can live with the map zoom peculiarity (there may even be some logic or functionality in it that I am missing), it is a very good digital map app with good quality Australian maps.
The average human walks 1,500km per year and drinks 83L of beer which means we're getting 18km/L.

StumpyB
Here and there

Unread post by StumpyB » April 19th, 2015, 3:04 pm

I've been playing on MudMaps2 a bit more and I'm fairly happy with it, for what it does.
First you have 'The Map' Which is regularly updated, and is just like your intereactive google maps. that you can zoom in on and it shows more detail. I just wish it would show me a bit more detail when zoomed further out. For instance you can be zoomed into a 200x130km view of the map of the Gib River Road and all it shows it the GRR and a bunch of camping spots scattered around the place. But zoom in some more and shows heaps of the slightly smaller tracks, but still not very detailed.
Built in has a ton of other maps which are pretty much paper maps. When looking in at a particular area on 'The Map' in the map menu it will list all the relevant maps for that area. For instance looking of the GRR on 'The Map' shows me a list containing 3 maps from Westprint maps, 3 from Back Country maps and then options to use Apple Maps or google maps.
As you move around 'The Map' out of the areas shown on each map it will be removed from the list and more may pop up depending on where about's you're exploring.

As these Raster maps are direct digital scans of paper maps they are highly detailed, the benefit of these over these to paper are you can zoom in and easily read the map as it Re-Renders as you zoom in and out and you don't have your passenger, fumbling around using half the cab space to look at the huge paper map as you're trying to watch the road.

One of the down sides, just like the Hema App as Mydamx said, it doesn't come with turn by turn navigation. The best you can do is use the line tool and mark out where you want to go. Which really unless you're being Roothy traveling along a scrub track that hasn't been driven in 40 yrs, isn't much of a problem. Just keep an eye on the maps as you're driving a long the track you're on. Much easier to do with the wifey sitting next to you.

Mud maps also has a record mode, which basically leaves a breadcrumb trail and records how long you've been going for.

Hopefully that gives you a bit more insight in Mudmaps.

Return to “GPS Tech”