What tablet should we get for GPS use?

Getting un-lost is half the fun
Choofthur
I'm new, be nice!

What tablet should we get for GPS use?

Unread post by Choofthur » August 21st, 2014, 8:15 pm

Hey guys I'm having a bit of trouble sorting a solution for my parents and hope you can help!!!! They have been using oziexplorer on a laptop with a USB GPS receiver for years and want to upgrade to a galaxy tablet. After looking into it I have found that most tablets have assisted gps, meaning that they won't work out in the middle of nowhere. I can see that I can get a Bluetooth receiver and hook that up. Does this mean I can get the wifi only tablet, hook up the receiver then download software and get it working? I know that there is always an element of trial and error to this but can anyone point me in the right direction? I don't want to buy the wrong tablet, then get a receiver, then buy an app and not be able to get it all working.....

Any help would be awesome cheers guys!

Cale

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: What tablet should we get for GPS use?

Unread post by mydmax » August 21st, 2014, 9:40 pm

Generally most tablets do have GPS which read satellites and not rely on tower info.

Unless it has changed with the latest versions or the operating system, Android doesn't support NMEA through a USB port and so a USB GPS receiver won't work.
I am not an expert but have a ASUS tablet and it has GPS and reads anywhere with Oziexplorer and suitably converted maps.

Samsung tablets work well from all reports. Big isn't always better 7" or 8" approx is easier to fit /use in vehicle.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » August 21st, 2014, 9:47 pm

Samsung Galaxy Tab 8 , 10 & 12 inch all have dedicated GPS built into them - no external GPS unit required - so that they work in the middle nowhere and anywhere

Samsung phones all have built in GPS - from the little Gio on up to the latest release phone

Have 2 Tabs , the 8 inch is a GT - P1000 and the 10 inch is a GT -P5100

Have 2 phones , a Gio and a Galaxy 2

The 8 inch is the unit of choice in the 4WD

Can't fault any of 'em with Ozi explorer
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

boobook
Part of the furniture

Unread post by boobook » August 22nd, 2014, 6:11 am

Further to the above 2 posts. Assisted GPS or AGPS actually means it has a GPS. The assisted bit means it can also locate itself roughly by the mobile phone signal.

This is used to speed up the first GPS position acquisition, and for indoors. Once the device locks into the the GPS signal is works the same as any old GPS, eg a Garmin or bluetooth GPS mouse etc.

Simply, AGPS is as good, if not better than any old GPS and most devices have it now.

To check if an android device has GPS ( or AGPS) go to settings>location services and turn it on. You will see 2 types, wifi and GPS if it has a GPS.

Ranger50
Avid Poster

Unread post by Ranger50 » November 29th, 2015, 6:00 am

Hi Choofthur,

I just have a cheap Pendo 10" tablet($129) that has AGPS and GPS which I run MUD MAPS on and it's great, but like mydmax said big isn't always better I now wish I had just bought the 8" tablet the 10 is a bit cumbersome in the cab.

Then I mounted it via a triple suction cup Xmount RAM mounts from the windscreen which was more expensive than the tablet it's self($180.00)

Most tablet these days also have on average 16G storage unless you want to spend a lot of money, it is cheaper to get the 16G version and buy a 32G SD from ebay for about $20.

Hope this helps!!!

Cheers Ranger50 :drink: :thumb: :thumb:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FordRangerPKDC2009HighlandGreenDeluxebarWinchSnorkelLR TankCanopyXXXHIDDLightsUHFReverseCameraDualBatteriesOBCompressorHID conversion2inLiftBFGAT2657516WetseatSeatcoversTurbo TimerCustomrockersBattMon

Return to “GPS Tech”