Mud Map 2

Getting un-lost is half the fun
MUDmap
Been here a while

Re: Mud Map 2

Unread post by MUDmap » May 5th, 2013, 2:11 pm

Mud Map Project: This is a big advantage of The Mud Map Project. It not only relies of community input but also has dedicated Project coordinators and mapping teams that contribute to data and manage error reporting.

Mapping Teams: We have mapping teams currently contributing to mapping data. This data is extensively checked by physically driving the tracks, using detailed satellite imagery and using map reference material to ensure data getting entered is accurate and up to date.

Community Contributions: Community members are able to contribute thousands of track-logs, which the mapping team can use along with satellite imagery and reference material to check accuracy of data and improve map quality.

Error Reporting: We will be rolling our error reporting directly from the app. Mud Map 2 users will be able to tap on points of the map and tracks to report issues with map data. Our mapping teams will then be able to respond to these issues and fix them as soon as possible.

Free monthly map updates: All of these updates will be made available free of charge for the life of the App.

Preloaded with great raster map collection:

-Westprint: the entire Westprint Outback collection valued at $80. Includes 21 maps of popular Outback destinations.

Alice Springs to Oodnadatta Ed3
Alice Springs to Uluru Ed6
Arnhem Land Ed1
Birdsville and Strzelecki Tracks Ed7
Canning Stock Route Ed5
Cape York
Diamantina Lakes Ed2
Googs Track Ed3
Gulf Country Ed2
Gunbarrel Hwy Ed4
Holland Track Ed1
Innamincka Ed6
Oodnadatta Track Ed6
Outback Victoria Ed2
Plenty Hwy Ed3
Simpson Desert Ed1
Southwest Queensland Ed4
Tanami Road Ed5
The Kimberley Ed1
The Top End Ed1
West Nullarbor Ed1

The Westprint Maps are fantastic and provide very detailed field notes on track closures, attractions, history of the area, driving suggestions such as suggested tyre pressure, information on permits, distance markers, camping + Petrol + caravan park POIs, dangerous track warnings and bypass suggestions.

BackCountry: The complete BackCountry collection valued at $100. Provides over 3000 caravan park and campsite POIs and are great for touring around Australia.

MUDMAP: as part of our free planned updates we are rolling out MUDMAP high detail rasters starting with the Fraser Island Raster that is currently on the Mud Map 2 app. These rasters will be of great detail compared to touring maps and will have named 4WD tracks, all relevant POIS, and much more. Detail range will depend on area but as a rough guide they will vary between 100K-25K. All of these will be rolled out free of charge as part of regular app updates.

Purchase more maps: Users can also purchase additional maps if they choose to at very high detail level of up to 25K.

Import Ozi maps: users can also import their existing Ozi format maps into Mud Map format allowing them to use maps from any brand they choose. This is offered by a free conversion tool.

We feel the community can work together along side our mapping teams and coordinators to create the most accurate and up to date off road map of Australia. We would love to have someone of your knowledge and experience on board.
Powerful 4WD Navigation apps & maps | Mud Map 2 for iPhone & iPad | Mud Map Android app | www.mud-maps.com

boobook
Part of the furniture

Unread post by boobook » May 5th, 2013, 3:34 pm

That's all good Marketing stuff Mudmap, but is the detailed map seriously based on OpenStreetmaps?

Edit: I looked at your website and apparently it is.

If I read above it indicated that you have teams driving around the place and it is your project. However If I go to your website and look at the section on errors it directly points to to a wiki on Openstreetmap and how to set up an account with them. If you do have people driving around they have missed A LOT of errors on main roads.

The maps are incorrect to the point that they could be a hazard to life, especially in bad conditions.

It looks like you have packaged up an immature community project ( that I am sure works very well in the USA) and sell it as a reliable map.

I seriously think you should make a disclaimer every time someone selects the map in the GPS telling them that it is not accurate and could cause injury, or loss of life. The maps is outright wrong and dangerous as is.

I REPEAT OPEN STREET MAPS IS INCORRECT AND CONTAINS MULTIPLE SERIOUS ERRORS TO THE POINT OF POSSIBLY CAUSING DEATH IN A SERIOUS SITUATION LIKE FIRES OR SNOW IN THE HIGH COUNTRY. The examples above are typical of how a bad decision could be made to go into a fire because of incorrect map information an a major exit road.

I would recommend that anyone considering using this product carefully check any area that they will travel in with other more accurate map sources. But then you may as well use the correct may anyway.

It looks sexy but Open street maps is totally immature and an interesting but inaccurate toy outside cities.

boobook
Part of the furniture

Unread post by boobook » May 5th, 2013, 8:12 pm

Here are a few more errors in the Openstreetmaps and the mudmap site to update.

The Upper Dargo area has many errors.
A couple of examples.
1)King Spur track is missing
2)Long Spur track Missing
3)Goldern Ridge track missing
4)Shephards creek track missing
5)Mayford track is shown on the map despite the fact that it was closed about 25 years ago when a vehicle rolled and 2 people were killed.
6)There is a track shown going to Louisville, this was last used in about 1904 and can not even be found these days after a fire. It is at an angle of 45 - 60 degrees straight down.
7)The Head of the Dargo River is shown over 28km SSE from the actual location.
8)Miners Flat track missing
9)Sizziling Sput track missing
10)South Spur track Missing
11)Dartmouth Track missing.

In an area of about 80square km about 1/3 of the tracks are missing or wrong. It is simply not a reliable map for safe 4wding. I hope you have a team of a few hundred people full time on the road. I found these easily as I know the areas.

Check them with a reliable map.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » May 5th, 2013, 9:31 pm

Sounds like the name MUDMAP is exactly that.
Whenever I have drawn a mudmap I get things a bit wrong and out of whack, not to scale and things in the wrong places.
Mine are just to get the general idea and not specific, that what a mudmap is.

Worrying if happening on a device designed to specifically guide me though.

oncedisturbed
Part of the furniture

Unread post by oncedisturbed » May 6th, 2013, 1:03 am

As a user of MM since it 1st started and still do, would probaby be better off coming MM-HD with the ability to import your maps into 1 app. Would save tons of issues and have a unit doing dasically everything

ianjon
Here and there

Unread post by ianjon » May 6th, 2013, 1:24 pm

Bull plain rd has been added by me this morning, along with a few other tracks nearby. MUDmap, when will this be available in Mud Map 2?

Thanks Boobrook for spotting those missing tracks, i'm going to get onto adding them in this afternoon.

MUDmap
Been here a while

Unread post by MUDmap » May 6th, 2013, 2:25 pm

That's awesome, thanks for contributing.

We just shipped the 1st map update to The Map today at 1 pm. OSM data takes 1-2 days to filter through so I don't think your contributions will be included. e.g. If you submit data on Monday, we get it on Thursday. But the online version of The Map on the Mud Map website is updated everyday, you should see your changes already.

However we are planning to do release another map update in 7 days and it will include these changes. So if you are doing more mapping, in this area, do it in the next 3-4 days and it will all be included in the next update.
Powerful 4WD Navigation apps & maps | Mud Map 2 for iPhone & iPad | Mud Map Android app | www.mud-maps.com

MUDmap
Been here a while

Unread post by MUDmap » May 6th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Just checked can see you have completed Bull Pain Rd, good work mate.

Also noticed these tracks have been fixed up, was that you?
- Barkley River rd
- Mt Sunday Rd,
- Mt Ash Spur Rd
- son of a bitch Track
- Nobs track
- Low saddle Track

boobook
Part of the furniture

Unread post by boobook » May 6th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Great 1 track down tens of thousands, possibly more to go.

Fixing one track highlights the issue. It takes someone who

a)Knows the area and can spot the error
b)has the time
c)has the knowledge
d)has the inclination

It is a great arm chair toy, and is a danger to 4wd users who don't know an area.

Nagz
Been here a while

Unread post by Nagz » May 8th, 2013, 3:18 pm

What id like to know is if this app is like the other ones in that it changes maps when you zoom out.
Also the version iv got is good but also a bit usless in that when you can see the track you are on you are zoomed in so far that you can not see any points of reference.

Hiluxxian
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Hiluxxian » May 10th, 2013, 1:21 am

Just a quick question, Do you get Google Satelite and Road with Mud Map 2 like you get with Mud Map HD?

MUDmap
Been here a while

Unread post by MUDmap » May 10th, 2013, 10:05 am

Nagz, yes and no.

Mud Map 2 has three map engines, vector, raster and online.

The vector map, called THEMAP has interactive zoom. You can zoom out to an overview of Australia, and zoom right in to see details, such as campsites, fire trails, hiking tracks. Unlike other vector maps, THEMAP is designed for offroad use , 4wd tracks, fire trails, and other info of interest are displayed fairly earlier on in the zoom range. This video demos how interactive zoom works.

The same applies to online map layers available in Mud Map 2

When it comes to raster maps, the app will automatically change to the next adjacent map so it's easy to find the map you need. You can also change to maps with different scale avaialble at that location really easily. Just press the "Change map" button and you will see a list of maps that's relevant to that region. Raster maps are sorted by their level of detail, maps at the top of the list have more detail. See a screenshot below.

In summary, Mud Map 2 makes it simple to find the map you need quickly.

MUDmap
Been here a while

Unread post by MUDmap » May 10th, 2013, 10:06 am

Hiluxxian, both Mud Map HD and Mud Map 2 has Apple maps and satellite imagery integration.

boobook
Part of the furniture

Unread post by boobook » May 10th, 2013, 5:29 pm

Users should be aware that the Victorian Police has labelled Apple Maps as Potentially Deadly and CFA has called Apple Maps dangerous. This has been highlighted on ths forum before. Please do not rely on these for navigation in remote areas.

http://www.geekosystem.com/australian-f ... pple-maps/

Even Apple recommends Google Maps.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57522 ... maps-flap/

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » May 11th, 2013, 11:52 am

Obviously a worm in the Apple or a poisoned Apple.
If bits are missing and in the wrong place it sounds like a genetically modified Apple.

Return to “GPS Tech”