Mud Map 2

Getting un-lost is half the fun
MUDmap
Been here a while

Mud Map 2

Unread post by MUDmap » May 1st, 2013, 2:34 pm

Mud Map 2 - the latest 4WD GPS app for iPad & iPhone is finally here.

Big Features:

THEMAP
- A community made interactive map of Australia.
- Monthly map updates for the life of the App.

CUSTOM ROUTING
- Make custom routes right on your iPhone and iPad or from your Mac or PC using the Mud Map website.

IMPORT MAPS
- Import digital maps from other brands* into Mud Map 2 or download maps from your Mud Map account.

*Compatible with most popular raster map formats.

Plus heaps of other features and optimisations.

Watch the demo video or Download from the App Store now.

Welcome to post any questions here, will do my best to follow up quickly.
Powerful 4WD Navigation apps & maps | Mud Map 2 for iPhone & iPad | Mud Map Android app | www.mud-maps.com

boobook
Part of the furniture

Re: Mud Map 2

Unread post by boobook » May 1st, 2013, 4:10 pm

Mudmap what map formats can be imported? I can't find the details on your website.

oncedisturbed
Part of the furniture

Unread post by oncedisturbed » May 1st, 2013, 8:50 pm

Most GeoTiff, ECW and Ozf formats apparently, as per my comment on the other thread, I have tried installing my 1:250K maps into the app with no joy. Have tried the map convertor as well with no luck.

It needs to open up more and allow those with the Ozi / HEMA maps to be able to install them, so far that isn't happening.

As per the website;
Mud Map 2 gives you the flexibility to add your own existing maps from other brands. Convert and import your digital maps into Mud Map 2 for use offline on your iPhone or iPad.

MUDmap
Been here a while

Unread post by MUDmap » May 2nd, 2013, 11:09 am

Right now, it has support for GeoTiff, ecw, OziExplorer ozf2 and ozfx3 formats. More info here

We are also open to suggestions, for example Memory Map formats anyone?
Powerful 4WD Navigation apps & maps | Mud Map 2 for iPhone & iPad | Mud Map Android app | www.mud-maps.com

MUDmap
Been here a while

Unread post by MUDmap » May 2nd, 2013, 11:13 am

Once, what format is the 1:250k map in? Are you able to send us the source files so we can have a look?

If it's ozf2 or ozfx3, it's most likely that the .map file name doesn't match the image file. E.g. Victoria.ozf2 and Victoria.map will convert, but Vic.ozf and Victoria.map wont. So make sure the file names are the same.

Hema maps are available in ecw, and oziexplorer formats so they can be imported.

oncedisturbed
Part of the furniture

Unread post by oncedisturbed » May 2nd, 2013, 12:18 pm

The 1:250k are the Geo maps same the HEMA and MudMAP HD maps. Will have another look today and let you know :)

ianjon
Here and there

Unread post by ianjon » May 2nd, 2013, 2:21 pm

I've been hanging for Mud Map 2, just for the 1 big feature of been able to use all my oziexplorer maps. When it came out, i grabbed it right away. Now having had a play with it, it's awesome. Converted my hema and rooftop maps and the app imported right away. I also have the hema app and the funny thing is these maps work better in Mud Map 2 than hema's own app. The new vector map called The Map looks like it's got plenty of detail but will and have more of a look before I put up a review.

Rooftop Map in Mud Map 2

Hema Map in Mud Map 2

boobook
Part of the furniture

Unread post by boobook » May 2nd, 2013, 4:37 pm

MUDmap wrote:Right now, it has support for GeoTiff, ecw, OziExplorer ozf2 and ozfx3 formats. More info here

We are also open to suggestions, for example Memory Map formats anyone?
:lol: Actually QCT ( as used by memory map) would be of interest to me if you also do an Android version of Mudmap. Apparently it is a standard, QC3 encrypted files might be a harder nut to crack. Dropping Memory Map AND Android ( for IOS) in one go would just about do me in. I could live on life support on windows 8 ( not RT) though.

That list is quite impressive Mudmap, especially ozf3 - though I see there is a new ozf4.... I assume you already have KMZ in place or planned.

Do the Ozi imports work ok with UTM? I have found some issues with conversion programs with UTM Ozi files ( they can end up upside down or back to front or not at all).

oncedisturbed
Part of the furniture

Unread post by oncedisturbed » May 2nd, 2013, 7:04 pm

Not sure what is going on with the map convertor as it can see the ECW and Ozf2 files but no .map files are located by the program. All Ozf and .map files are bundled together so there is no issue there but the convertor will not locate them. Also will not convert any ECW formats. I have re-installed the map program multiple times and still no luck.

MUDmap
Been here a while

Unread post by MUDmap » May 3rd, 2013, 9:30 am

OziExplorer maps in UTM format works fine. During development we did run into this problem, but with the help of our beta testers, the problem was quickly solved.

MUDmap
Been here a while

Unread post by MUDmap » May 3rd, 2013, 9:35 am

When converting OziExplorer maps, each map is made up of 2 files. An image files (.ozf2 or .ozfx3) and the geoinfo file (.map). Make sure the they have the same file name and are in the same directory. The Map converter will automatically pick up the .map file that's associated with the image files.

BTW, there have been 4 updates to the Map Converter during the past week, the latest is build 12 which has good compatibility with oziexplorer maps. You can download the latest builds here.

If you like, send me some of these map files and I'll have a look at why they are not working.

oncedisturbed
Part of the furniture

Unread post by oncedisturbed » May 3rd, 2013, 9:53 am

I have been using the latest map convertor and also all the other versions since the BETA inception and have had no joy since. I will send through some of the files when I get home from work and can take it from there

MUDmap
Been here a while

Unread post by MUDmap » May 4th, 2013, 4:59 pm

Yes, send through the files, we can have a good look into it.

Oh, another thing to try is to uninstall the Map Converter, then do a fresh install with the latest release build (13).

ianjon
Here and there

Unread post by ianjon » May 4th, 2013, 5:51 pm

Just got back from Woods point, first trip with Mud Map 2 and have to say I'm really impressed with the new "the map". In most places i've looked, it's got more detail than any other map. Here's a comparison between 3 maps of the coppers creek campground, notice how the map shows the 2 river crossings and the island in the middle, that island is about 20-25 metres across.

The Map - as seen in Mud Map 2

Rooftop Woods Pt - Walhalla 2007

hema - high country

Happy to post screens of other areas you guys are interested in.

boobook
Part of the furniture

Unread post by boobook » May 5th, 2013, 6:23 am

That's pretty good Ianjon, though it looks suspiciously like 'open street map' data. Try here -37.48969, 146.52708 . Open map shows Bull Plain Rd as a dead end heading north WHAT THE? . This is a road and major route to go north to Bulla etc, a pretty important exit if there were widespread fires to the SE and roads to the south closed like there were recently. Same for here -37.48397, 146.47426 there are numerous tracks to the south and NE but Open Map shows another dead end and misses about 4 - 5 important through tracks going to Jamieson, and back to Licola. There are tens of similar major errors just in this small area. Here is another one. -37.58808, 146.53409 No Sign of Cob Spur track, S1 Track, S2 Track, or the numerous un-named tracks in the area. Well used tracks. There are stacks of other serious errors around Licola, around Wonnangatta, north of Dargo that I can see with a just quick look.

I can't imagine a commercial product would be based on open street map though. After all it is only a user input internet map. Great in busy cities, not so good in the bush. You can't rely on Open Street map in the high country or outside main roads. There are way too many errors. It relies on someone to be there before you who then goes home and updates the maps to be correct. Obviously this isn't happening very often in the high country, and I'll bet it isn't happening in other remote areas when you really need a good map.

I certainly wouldn't use Wikipedia to tell me if a drug I am about to take will kill me or not, and for the same reason I would never use Openstreetmaps to tell me how to get home in the high country. Both unaudited, voluntary user input mediums from unqualified people and filled with factual errors.

Contrast this, I recall I reported 1 significant error in the High country West Sheet to Hema ( the Eastern approach to the Barkley River on the Glencairn - Licola Rd), and amazingly they brought forward the next release to fix it immediately. Gave me a lot of confidence in their maps. That's what you need in places like the high country.

Return to “GPS Tech”