Canon 300mm f4L non-IS

Show us your photographic skills and work in here
The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Canon 300mm f4L non-IS

Unread post by The Jacobite » December 30th, 2018, 7:58 am

I did a search and all the posts are old so I decided to do a refresh.
Im just about to purchase my mates Canon 300mm f4L non-IS lens. Its in perfect condition. I'll eventually be getting a x1.4 Tele-Convertor.
Primary use will be for wildlife mainly birds but also any action activity that needs a little reach. Also the odd portrait.
I have used it and was quite happy. More often than not it will used with a tripod or monopod. Any comments?
Cheers. :D

beaujest4
Part of the furniture

Re: Canon 300mm f4L non-IS

Unread post by beaujest4 » December 31st, 2018, 7:29 am

About the only way to capture those little fellows.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 31st, 2018, 7:48 am

We've seen them before haven't we? Still bloody good pics tho! :thumb:

Do you find a likely spot/hide & then wait for them to come along? Or do you go out & actively search for those flighty little things?
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Unread post by The Jacobite » December 31st, 2018, 9:45 am

Female Eastern Koel.

Ive been trying to get the male which is black with stunning red eyes.
Shot hand held at 1/500 f4.5 iso 250.

The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Unread post by The Jacobite » December 31st, 2018, 10:06 am

Hi Pete and thanks for the comments.
Yes you have seen these. As the lens was borrowed at the time I then had to return it so I haven't had it lately to use. Last Thursday though I bought it off my mate for $500. Going off the net prices its was a bargain I couldn't knock back.

The Wrens were just darting around the edge of the track I was on so no hide. They're just use to people walking about I guess. All those were shot using a x2 TC to btw.
I do plan to do some Hide work. The 300mm on a 1.6 crop is effectively a 480mm as you know, add a x1.4 TC and you're up to 672mm's...... Tripod stuff at this focal length. Quality loss isn't a factor for me using a TC as the images are just for my own interest. They say its very minimal anyway. The fast shutter speeds you need for these birds start to rule out the need for IS so Im not that concerned its the Non-IS version.
I don't have the coin for the big guns like a 500mm or 600mm f4. This 300mm with a x1.4 TC will quench my Wildlife thirst for now. Theres lots of reading that claims that the 300mm non-IS is sharper than the newer IS model. Anyway..... Im stoked I have this now. Its my first 'L' series lens. Woo Hoo!! In fact its only my second lens.
How you been anyway?
:D

The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Unread post by The Jacobite » January 24th, 2019, 5:16 pm

Well......... For any body out there interested........ I scored a Canon x1.4 Extender Series II for use on the 300mm f4. Gumtree for $180. Pretty happy with that.
Ho hummm.... ;)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 24th, 2019, 5:27 pm

Sooo, when do we get to see some pics taken with the loooong extender - or is that 'stacked extenders'?
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Unread post by The Jacobite » January 26th, 2019, 6:51 am

Hi Pete.

Its a x1.4 Tele Converter. Canon call them Extenders. Turns my 300mm into a 672mm taking my x1.6 crop sensor into account. Without the extender my 300mm is a 480mm.

Works kept me a little anchored but also to be honest; Im not a summer person anymore. Hate the heat so that keeps me either indoors or in the surf. Hate tramping around the bush in hot weather if i don't have to, especially humid weather, thats my real killer. Anyway. Super keen to get out and give it another whirl when this shitty weather racks off. lol
The photos Iv already posted are with this lens and a x1.4 extender.

I was a little hesitant to buy this lens at first because it wasn't IS (image stabilising), but after some good old google/youtube research I was happy to go ahead. I mean $500 for a 300mm f4L?? I had to have it. IS is not a factor anyway when using high shutter speeds which will be the case most of the time.

:D

The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Unread post by The Jacobite » March 9th, 2019, 5:21 am

Latest shots.
Lovin this 300mm...... :D

Female Satin Bower Bird (No. It's eye has not been saturated or adjusted in any way)

Red Browed Finch

Return to “Photography”