Is there anybody out there

Show us your photographic skills and work in here
The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Re: Is there anybody out there

Unread post by The Jacobite » May 3rd, 2018, 5:48 pm

OMG!!!!! I AM ALIVE.... Hello Photography forum!!!! To those that are still about. Its me.....!!! 'Jacobites' previously known as......... Wait for it............................................. 'The viking' :crazy: :eek: :D

beaujest4
Part of the furniture

Unread post by beaujest4 » May 4th, 2018, 9:38 am

Jackobites wrote:
May 3rd, 2018, 5:48 pm
OMG!!!!! I AM ALIVE.... Hello Photography forum!!!! To those that are still about. Its me.....!!! 'Jacobites' previously known as......... Wait for it............................................. 'The viking' :crazy: :eek: :D
I recall the name,'The Viking'. Welcome back. As you can probably see not much has changed.

The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Unread post by The Jacobite » May 5th, 2018, 5:26 am

Hi beaujest4.

Yes. Had some logging on issues and so on. Very frustrating there for some time. So the only way around it was to start over and Register as a new member.
I had to go through the name choosing rigmarole again!!! Ahhhhhhhh :crazy: My sister is doing a family tree thingy and has discovered that we (sister and I) have more Scottish in us than we thought and that theres a connection to the 'Jackobites' who were a rebellious group of Highlanders fighting the British 200 odd years ago. So 'Jackobites' it was. Funny enough the wife and I have gotten into that Netflix series called 'Outlander' which has a lot of Jackobite referencing.
Anyway, yes the Photography section does look a little dry doesn't it? Haven't had a good look at the new forum set up so still discovering things. :D

The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Unread post by The Jacobite » May 5th, 2018, 6:44 am

Hi beaujest4
I decided to push myself and concentrate on shooting RAW
God.... I remember so many Raw V's Jpeg convo's in here and the when to use and when not to. The biggest misconception with Raw is that people tend to think its all about quality; where this is true to a degree, it's more about edit-ability. Anyone can take a Raw file and destroy it, as with a Jpeg, but the Raw file gives you all the data ingredients to play with as opposed to the jpeg which the camera has processed and thrown away a lot of the data. Its like me giving you a half cooked baked dinner out of the oven for you to finish off (the jpeg dinner) or just give you all the raw ingredients (the Raw dinner) for you to work with from scratch. A little bit of a sloppy comparison if that makes sense. :purplex: Just an interesting fact if you didn't already know.... When you have Raw selected, the image that comes up on your cameras lcd screen is in fact a jpeg, not the raw result. Theres a reason for this which you're best to google.
I'm like you. My images are for me, however I have two styles of shooting I guess you could say. 'Snap Shots' and 'Projects'. Snap shots are things like when I'm camping, birthday parties, weekends away every day stuff and so on. Projects are usually shots I intend to print. Like Family portraits, Landscapes etc. So if I say. "I think I'll take a Seascape to hang on the wall", well I'll shoot it in Raw to give me all the data to work with to give me a better chance at a good quality image. I don't need a very large Raw file of my Pootroll going through a mud puddle, nor do I want to load a ton of 'Snap Shot' Raw files onto the computer each time.
Ive seen so many photos that have won international competitions that were shot in jpeg. Raw = Edit-ability! not guaranteed quality ;)

Lightroom.... Great program! I use it. Its designed to pump out quick edits. To give the Photographer an quick easy editing flow. You can edit one image and sync those edits onto the other files of the same shot. So good for that. My favourite feature is being able to do 'Local Edits'. Also, the files are non-destructive.
I use LR in conjunction with Photoshop. LR for the basic usual edits and over to PS if I need to do any manipulations. For example. If I did a Seascape but didn't notice the coke can in the sand, then over to PS to remove it. PS is a master compared to LR for this type of thing. Interesting fact: National Geographic Photographers are not allowed to remove items or manipulate their images in anyway. If there's power lines cutting right across their shot because they had no other option, powerlines stay in. :)
Cheers.

beaujest4
Part of the furniture

Unread post by beaujest4 » May 5th, 2018, 9:04 am

Yep fully agree. The main reason I stuck with shooting jpeg was to make myself learn to (hopefully) take a better photo to start with, rather then take an average photo and try to make it better in PPing. It worked for me and since using the D750 I have enjoyed shooting RAW and the landscape shots I have taken.

I understand your comparison and it all makes sense. Also agree there is still a place for shooting jpeg. Having previously organised two 4wd weekends each year for nearly ten years and shooting a couple of hundred shots each day it is just so easy to take jpegs and put the card in the computer that is hocked up to the big screen and press play so everyone can see what happened that day. The others that shot RAW, well no one sees their photos until weeks later by which time no one cares as I had the full trip report on our forum with heaps of jpeg shots for all to see within a couple of days.

Like you say there is a place for both jpeg and RAW. Now I need to concentrate and learn more about the processing side to get the most out of my RAW shots.

The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Unread post by The Jacobite » May 5th, 2018, 1:17 pm

I mainly don't know what I am doing and at times forget to do something.
Just on this. This is one of the main designs for LR. The right hand panel is set out in an Editing Flow. Start from the top and work your way down.
Check out the 'Sync' button in LR. If you took say 20 shots of a scene with pretty much the same lighting, all you have to do is edit one, highlight the rest and press the Sync button. That edit from the first photo jumps straight onto all 20 images. All you need to do then in some fine tweaking.
However. I DON'T use LR to file my images. All my photos are in a simple folder on the desktop and filed within respective folders in alphabetical order. This main folder is backed up onto another external HD along with being backed up in Mac's 'Time Machine' If your operating Mac FORGET iPhotos; or Photos as it is now called.
Cheers. :D

beaujest4
Part of the furniture

Unread post by beaujest4 » May 8th, 2018, 10:12 am

Apart from the lack of technical knowledge of what each adjustment actually does, something I can learn about myself, the main problem as such I have with LR is knowing when to stop.

Anyhow, all going well I will be taking a local photography out to a location and decided I better go and check it will be clear for him to get in. Train Tunnels on the now abandoned and somewhat neglected line between Glenreagh and Dorrigo.

The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Unread post by The Jacobite » May 8th, 2018, 7:58 pm

Great location!! Some great photographic opportunity with this spot. This screams some lower ambient light and then the use of some 'off camera flash' work or even better some Light Painting with a good LED torch. Or; even some fixed lighting and do some time exposures. Possibly some B&W shots too.

Yes its not hard to get a bit over doie with the editing. Over time you'll have your own likes for your images and so editing won't even be a thinking process, well not as much any way. :)

beaujest4
Part of the furniture

Unread post by beaujest4 » May 9th, 2018, 8:43 am

Yeah definitely has a lot of potential. Will have another play when I take my photographer mate out there. I tried the Light Painting but my trusty head lamp just didn't cut it. Will be interesting to see what my mate does as he loves his black and whites.

The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Unread post by The Jacobite » May 10th, 2018, 8:49 am

Yeh you need a decent beam I have found.
The log on the beach is my first ever Light Painting effort. I forget the time exposure.
The Light House is a mix of 'Off Camera Flash' triggered remotely and 'Light Painting' with my P7 Led Lenser torch. No more than a 30 sec exposure as after 30 sec you start to get star trails, which I didn't want.

The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Unread post by The Jacobite » June 1st, 2018, 5:11 am

109350487-e1524064026652.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 1st, 2018, 3:46 pm

Nice tumbleweed.... but I think I preferred the lighthouse & driftwood?!? :thumb:

Btw, have you noticed how quiet the photography section has been of late? :purplex:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Unread post by The Jacobite » June 2nd, 2018, 5:42 am

Hmm? What!?......... Sorry Peter. I was in the Photography section and must have dozed off!! Umm...... Yes I have just noticed a slight lull. :D
But as my lovely wife pointed out the other day whilst over my shoulder, she said. "Well your not posting any photos." Point taken I said.
Anyway....... I need a topic. Someone throw me a topic; and anyones welcome to have a go. Come on you lot. :)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 2nd, 2018, 10:58 am

Bush or Outback Sunsets!

Anything in the way of a spectacular sunset shot taken while you're far from the madding crowds & outside the confines of a city?!? ;)

But what does someone else wanta post up? Anything? Anyone? Ca'rn, give it a go - you never know, you might be suggesting the next cover pic for the Mag.... might not too, but we can wish, can't we?! :sillywink:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Unread post by The Jacobite » June 3rd, 2018, 5:15 am

you never know, you might be suggesting the next cover pic for the Mag....
:lol: :lol: :lol: Peter......... stop it..... :lol: your crackn me up.......

Well I won't be far from anywhere because I don't have the time, but sunset hey? :purplex: Hmmm. We get them here every avo so its not a matter of lack of subject. Its the spectacular part, now thats the challenge.

Return to “Photography”